Insomnia

Options
Hi, Guys...Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is affecting my ability to exercise and be fit, so I thought here was as good a place as everywhere else.

I am hoping to avoid calling the doctor and going in to see them until I drop the last 14 pounds, because then they'll take me off the BP meds.

At any rate, has anyone else had the following issue, and if so what did you do to fix it? It doesn't matter what time I go to sleep - can be as early as 8:00 p.m. or as late as midnight, my eyes pop open between three and three-thirty in the morning, and while I'm not energized enough to get up, I'm not sleepy enough to go back to sleep, unless I doze a few minutes here or there between the time I wake up and the time I have to get up. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now, and I have all of zero energy, I'm doing good to make it to the day job and function, and I feel like I am in a fog. This morning it was 2:33 a.m. when I woke up.

I've tried taking a couple of benadryl before bed, as those used to knock me out once upon a time, and figured they would help with the allergies as well as keep me conked out, but that didn't work. Glass of wine before bed doesn't work. Have tried a good walk with the dog a few hours before bedtime, and that didn't work, either.

I am at a loss as to how to STAY asleep. This is starting to affect all aspects of my life, and it's not fun. I think I've been in the pool for a swim once in the past week, because I simply don't have the energy to get in and swim.

Y'all's thoughts?

Replies

• Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    My husband has the same issues at times. He tried the natural Melatonin (vitamin section). It worked for him! Hope you get some good sleep soon! :smile:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Crooks! :) I may be stopping at the store on my way home.
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also have had success with short term use of melatonin.
  • BORICUACHULA
    Options
    HI Julie!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble sleeping but, I have been there before and every once in a while it happens again. What I do before I go to sleep is take a warm shower and then when I get out I put on some soft smelling lotion or some lavender oil. That always knocks me out for a long time! Also when I really can't sleep sometimes I will drink a cup of warm lowffat milk with cinnamon and one package of splenda. I'm not sure why but that helps as well. I'm not sure if these ideas will help you but I hope so!! U will be in my prayerS :)
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yes - this happens to me as well (just started again last night!) and it comes and goes in cycles.
    There are different stages of sleep - you can be so asleep a train coming through the room wouldn't wake you, and then at other times during the night the slightest thing and you are wide awake.
    For me, this 3am waking happens more when I have something on my mind.
    It usually passes after a couple of nights. If you share a bed but have the option of sleeping in a spare room alone, it might be no harm for a couple of nights to sleep alone.
    Sometimes when I wake up I am so worried about how tired I am going to be that I can't get back to sleep!
    All the ususal stuff too - don't read or watch TV in bed - no caffine for a few hours before bed - but it sounds like you get asleep OK, just wake up half way through the night.
    If all else fails, try a herbal remedy like Kalms, keep them by the bed and if you wake up take a dose and hopefully you will drift back off. Good luck.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Thank you, guys...I am just not feeling like myself, and it sucks for me to not have the energy to work out. I can't wait to try to sleep tonite...I feel like I could put my head down on the desk and nap right now, LOL...
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My husband gets this too. He gets up and away from bed, and reads something boring for awhile. He then often gets sleepy again and comes back to bed.

I have the opposite problem when I get insomnia, I just can't get to sleep at all, sometimes all night. Sometimes after a few nights some melatonin will do the trick. Dose ranges wildly. My husband takes about .5 mg, while I'll take up to 5mg. He is very sensitive to all drugs while I am resistant (and he weights 70lb more than me!).

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing that helps me. Sleep somewhere else once, it can help break the cycle, psychologically.
  • ajfranzen77
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I got a white noise machine that plays a rain sound and it has helped a lot. But a rain storm always makes me sleep. Sleepy time tea with a little honey has helped too!

Hope you feel better soon! Lack of sleep really does make the day suck!
  • darhp758
    darhp758 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Melantonin does work, but you should only use it short term, meaning only days or weeks. You should not take melantonin for more than 3 months consecutively. Our bodies produce about 0.3 mg naturally, so start out with the lowest dose possible and increase the dose, if needed. Take about 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime and make sure you have 8 hours of sleep time available. If you are on any medications, do some research or check with your doctor before taking it to see if it will affect the medications.

If you take too much, it can cause some side affects. I only take it now periodically, such as once every week or two or three, only when I really have been having problems sleeping and need a good night sleep.

I ran out of one bottle I had and couldn't find the 1mg so bought a bottle of 3mg and took it for 4-5 nights in a row and I got really
    irritable and depressed. It was the melantonin causing this so just be careful. Sleepytime tea also works. Good luck.

Google melantonin on the internet to find out more.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Thanks, guys...A friend of mine recommended Valerian Root...

I'm ready to try anything...I can deal with being sleepy, but the forgetfulness and the energy drain are really messing with me.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES.., it has happened to me. The doctor told me not to have anything with caffeine or sugar after 3 or 4pm & exercise earlier in the day. If you wake up take a ¼ to a ½ of an OTC sleep aide & make sure your alarm is set. (Have it on the night stand ready with a bottle of water so you don’t get up.) If you smoke, don’t do it before you go to bed. I don’t smoke, but I didn’t realize a Diet Dr Pepper with dinner or a little ice cream could do that to my sleep pattern. It took a few days, but I got back to my regular sleeping. Good luck!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Well, I tried melatonin last night for the first time, and understand it might not work miracles immediately, but I drifted right off around ten or little after. After what seemed a good long rest, I stretched, rolled over, and damned if that clock didn't say 2:03 a.m.

After reading some on insomnia, I realized that staying in bed when unable to go back to sleep wouldn't be a hot idea, so I got up, went out to the studio and worked until four or a little after, decided I was sleepy again, and finally went back to sleep a little after five. Still had to wake up at 6:30, tho.