Runner's Club: Nov. 25

Options
Track Tuesday! Mile warm-up, 7 x 800 repeats, mile cooldown - great way to start the day!
Have a good one everybody.

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Track Tuesday! Mile warm-up, 7 x 800 repeats, mile cooldown - great way to start the day!
    Have a good one everybody.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Got 4-miles in this morning. They weren't pretty, but I'll count em! :drinker:

Get out there, runners!!! :drinker:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I want to do a triathlon in the spring so I thought I would add a short bike ride to my run today to see what it is like to go from the bike to running. I was thinking about 3 miles on the bike to get warmed up and then go for my regular 3 mile run. This will be my first brick workout.

How many people are running races on Thanksgiving Day. I am going to run a 6k. I figure this will get the day off to a great start plus I need to train Thursday anyway.:smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I want to do a triathlon in the spring so I thought I would add a short bike ride to my run today to see what it is like to go from the bike to running. I was thinking about 3 miles on the bike to get warmed up and then go for my regular 3 mile run. This will be my first brick workout.

How many people are running races on Thanksgiving Day. I am going to run a 6k. I figure this will get the day off to a great start plus I need to train Thursday anyway.:smile:

Good for you! Supposed to be raining/snowing here on Thursday so will probably just do a exercise video. Too bad because I'll need to do A LOT of damage control for the feasting & drinking!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    No running on Thanksgiving for me - I'm going to MIL's and she's out in a rural area - the way they drive out there - I'd be Road Kill

But I did get in a little over 4 miles today - :smile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I went out to meet the running group today and no one showed up. :cry: I waited for about 10 minutes and then went home and got back into bed. I can't run in the dark by myself. I guess in their defense it was sprinkling so that must have scared them off.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go do 3 miles with my bf. We're going to try and beat the incoming snow storm! :laugh: Then some yoga tonight. I did cyclling instead of yoga yesterday so I'm kinda sore.
  • runnerdad
    Options

Running after you bike is a good habit to get into. SInce I run and bike to cross train, but don't do triathlons, I never realized how hard it is to make that transition from bike to run. One day I rode (25 miles) with my triathlete buddies and tried to run after the ride. I felt like a toodler, ready to fall over with every step! So, good rule, even if you are just biking and not planning a brick, do a little run off, even just 1/4 -1/2 mile, after you get off the bike to get your body used to the transition
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Ran 4.4 today, while my 7 year-old biked beside me. I love having a workout buddy! :laugh:

I'm planning on doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. It's a 5K. That will entitle me to an extra scoop or two of stuffing, right??
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Today was a lifting day for me, I did legs and abs @ the gym.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I saw a chiropractor/sports doctor today, who I hope will get me running again. He was very positive and enthusiastic, and said that there's no reason why I shouldn't be running at my age. I have hope!

My old doctor told me I was "getting older" (I'm not yet 40, and I feel more like 30) and he didn't want me running because it causes too many overuse injuries, but when I insisted, he said he wanted me running no more than six miles/week. Bah! There are people in the Olympics who are my age. My dad just did a triathlon at 60. Why can't I keep going? :angry: All I ask is for the ability to run 10-15 miles per week and run the occasional 5- or 10K. That's not too much to ask of my body, I don't think, and that's nothing compared to the mileage that some people put in.

I can do it and I will! :happy:

Cheryl
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I saw a chiropractor/sports doctor today, who I hope will get me running again. He was very positive and enthusiastic, and said that there's no reason why I shouldn't be running at my age. I have hope!

My old doctor told me I was "getting older" (I'm not yet 40, and I feel more like 30) and he didn't want me running because it causes too many overuse injuries, but when I insisted, he said he wanted me running no more than six miles/week. Bah! There are people in the Olympics who are my age. My dad just did a triathlon at 60. Why can't I keep going? :angry: All I ask is for the ability to run 10-15 miles per week and run the occasional 5- or 10K. That's not too much to ask of my body, I don't think, and that's nothing compared to the mileage that some people put in.

Cheryl

Welcome to the group Cheryl. I am glad you found a new doctor to help you out. It sounds like your old one has something against running. I just started doing it this year and I have never felt better. I am close to 40 but not there yet. I hope to keep improving my times as I get older. :happy:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Welcome to the group Cheryl. I am glad you found a new doctor to help you out. It sounds like your old one has something against running. I just started doing it this year and I have never felt better. I am close to 40 but not there yet. I hope to keep improving my times as I get older. :happy:

Hi, Sherry. I started running seriously at 38, too. I had one amazing year last year -- ran eleven races -- and then it's been nothing but trouble this year. But I fell in love with it and I'm not giving up! Nothing gives me that same "runner's high." It has been almost a year since I was really able to run. I don't care about times or marathons (I have a friend who runs them), or anything else at this point, if I can just put in a few miles a few times a week, and a few races a year, whether I'm "fast" or not. I hope by spring I'll be there.... It's such an amazing feeling.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    I started running at 36; I will be 39 in 2 weeks. I followed Couch 2 5K. This spring, I completed a 20K! I think we definitely are getting better with age! I was 20 pounds thinner at the age of 20, but I'm WAY more FIT!

Hessied: I love it when my 8 year old bikes beside me while I run, too :tongue:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I ran 3.5 miles this morning. I have missed it!!:flowerforyou:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I didn't start running seriously until I was 48. I was at my doctor telling him how I was always short of breath and I got the 'getting older' speech too. Then I got some allergy issues under control, and two marathons and half a dozen half-Ms later, I am getting better / faster every year (easy when you are really slow to start with:bigsmile: ) So keep at it , unless you have major medical issues, there should be a way to work with it and get some running in:smile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I didn't start running seriously until I was 48. I was at my doctor telling him how I was always short of breath and I got the 'getting older' speech too. Then I got some allergy issues under control, and two marathons and half a dozen half-Ms later, I am getting better / faster every year (easy when you are really slow to start with:bigsmile: ) So keep at it , unless you have major medical issues, there should be a way to work with it and get some running in:smile:

Way to go, runnerdad and TeachNRun! Let's all show 'em how "getting older" is done. :bigsmile:
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Ran 4.4 today, while my 7 year-old biked beside me. I love having a workout buddy! :laugh:

I'm planning on doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. It's a 5K. That will entitle me to an extra scoop or two of stuffing, right??

ABSOLUTELY! Have a great time! I ran 3 miles today having to avoid the pesticide sprayers all over the bike paths! I will run again Thanksgiving morning to make room for sweet potato pie!
    Bunny
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Cheryl

Oh my Gosh! I am so glad that you are persevering. I have autoimmune disease and was told by my doctors that I could only swim and do water aerobics. Two years later I was soggy and bored and out of shape. I joined a running club with a couch to 5K program last March and just completed a 10K last weekend. I am injury free, in much better shape and much, much happier :smile: I did take it slow to avoid injury and it was worth it.

LOL
    Bunny
  • cherapple
    Options
    Oh my Gosh! I am so glad that you are persevering. I have autoimmune disease and was told by my doctors that I could only swim and do water aerobics. Two years later I was soggy and bored and out of shape. I joined a running club with a couch to 5K program last March and just completed a 10K last weekend. I am injury free, in much better shape and much, much happier :smile: I did take it slow to avoid injury and it was worth it.

LOL
    Bunny

Thanks, Bunny. I'm so glad you've found it back to health and the type of exercise that you want to be doing!

Doctors -- Jeesh! can't live with them, can't live without ... oh wait, maybe we can live without them most of the time! I refuse to settle for one who tells me I'm "aging" again. :grumble: Maybe in 20 years I'll concede to aging, but not at less than 40.

I do have a problem with taking it slow, though. I just wan to run and feel like the wind!!! I like to push myself hard, and sometimes I pay for that. :blushing:

Cheryl