Okay...is my scale broken?

Options
So yesterday I did my usual weigh in first thing in the morning, no clothes on, and I lost another two lbs!

Five minutes later (still haven't eaten anything or had anything to drink...

I go to the bathroom (#2 :blushing: ) ...

And I gain the 2 lbs back! :noway:

I know weight fluctuates...but within 5 minutes??? And after going to the bathroom???

:laugh:

I think I'll stick to measurements for a while :glasses:

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I did my usual weigh in first thing in the morning, no clothes on, and I lost another two lbs!

Five minutes later (still haven't eaten anything or had anything to drink...

I go to the bathroom (#2 :blushing: ) ...

And I gain the 2 lbs back! :noway:

I know weight fluctuates...but within 5 minutes??? And after going to the bathroom???

:laugh:

I think I'll stick to measurements for a while :glasses:
  • fjones0021
    Options
    Hmm ..thats strange, I wouldnt' think you would have gained 2 lbs back ...but im not expert or anything thats just my opinion!

Do be discouraged!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    the scale is the devil....

I am sure Waterboy would agree!
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Hmm ..thats strange, I wouldnt' think you would have gained 2 lbs back ...but im not expert or anything thats just my opinion!

Do be discouraged!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

:laugh: I don't really understand!! It's a brand new scale too!
    :grumble:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    the scale is the devil....

I am sure Waterboy would agree!

Yes I am learning very quickly how evil the scale can be :huh:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    my scale does this the whole time, it drives me mad! :explode:

im on my 3rd scale, so not buying a new one! lol :noway:

last night i weighed in at 183, just before bedtime (when i am at my heaviest)

woke up this morning, went to the bathroom etc, weighed in with no clothes, and i was 183, i am normally 2 lbs down in the morning??

scales is gone bananas!!! :ohwell:
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I think that ALL scales are broken!:grumble: I go to the doctor weekly and its never any lower but I weighed myself somewhere else and was 2 pounds down!!:mad: I don't even want to look at scales anymore it gets me down.:frown:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're standing in the same position on the scale, right in the center. Standing too far forward or backward can throw your scale off by a couple pounds.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil - but addicting!! I'm not sure why I feel the urge to weigh myself all the time? I usually step on the scale 3 times and take the most frequent number that comes up. Digital scales can be wonky!!
    Measurements are definately the way to go - cause you could be gaining muscle - so your weight doesn't always show the results you are feeling!
    I think hiding the scale for a whole week might be a good idea - just set a weigh in date and then maybe the results will show more?:smile:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Im with you girl!! Same thing if I get too "attached" to the scales. I was feeling bad the other day because I hadn't lost anything in a week til I realized I actually had, in inches!!! So yeah, Im going to try and avoid the scales. They just don't tell the whole story;) denise
  • PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is how obsessed I am with the scale... I'm late for work... running around like a mad man and as I'm getting dressed I realize I forgot to weigh in this morning... SO I GOT UNDRESSED AND WEIGHED MYSELF! I'M LATE FOR WORK AND I GOT UNDRESSED TO WEIGH IN! I'm hiding the scale. Actually I think I'm going to throw it away. Have a good day everyone!
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Make sure you're standing in the same position on the scale, right in the center. Standing too far forward or backward can throw your scale off by a couple pounds.

I will definitely make sure I do that, I never thought about that before :smile:

And Spikes121-- I'll try your idea too!! I think that would be the most accurate way to get the right numbers!
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I want to get rid of my scale too. I got on this morning and weighed .4 pounds more than I did yesterday and it completely threw my day off.

I know it's water...And yet I can't help but feel GROSS! It's not like I went up a pant size or anything...Geez. Now I know why I was in such a good mood every day last week-I wasn't stepping on that darn hunk of plastic!
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    This is how obsessed I am with the scale... I'm late for work... running around like a mad man and as I'm getting dressed I realize I forgot to weigh in this morning... SO I GOT UNDRESSED AND WEIGHED MYSELF! I'M LATE FOR WORK AND I GOT UNDRESSED TO WEIGH IN! I'm hiding the scale. Actually I think I'm going to throw it away. Have a good day everyone!

:laugh: That is a bad obsession lol

I only weigh once a week, I just got curious yesterday because my little brother thinks its SO funny when he weighs before and after going #2 ...he loses like 2 lbs sometimes :grumble:

Of course I "gained" after going. :tongue:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Scales are evil - but addicting!! I'm not sure why I feel the urge to weigh myself all the time? I usually step on the scale 3 times and take the most frequent number that comes up. Digital scales can be wonky!!
    Measurements are definately the way to go - cause you could be gaining muscle - so your weight doesn't always show the results you are feeling!
    I think hiding the scale for a whole week might be a good idea - just set a weigh in date and then maybe the results will show more?:smile:

Yeah, I recommend getting on the scale a few times and taking the average. Just like how they do trials with science experiences to make sure there were no flukes. It's the same concept.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    My weight hasn't changed in the past 2 weeks, which is fine since I'm only 3 lbs away from my goal. But what gets me, is that I can tell that my pants are continuing to get MUCH looser even though the weight isn't changing. It doesn't make any sense to me, but oh well!!! :wink:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    My weight hasn't changed in the past 2 weeks, which is fine since I'm only 3 lbs away from my goal. But what gets me, is that I can tell that my pants are continuing to get MUCH looser even though the weight isn't changing. It doesn't make any sense to me, but oh well!!! :wink:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I don't understand it either :indifferent: Stupid Scales
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I want to get rid of my scale too. I got on this morning and weighed .4 pounds more than I did yesterday and it completely threw my day off.

I know it's water...And yet I can't help but feel GROSS! It's not like I went up a pant size or anything...Geez. Now I know why I was in such a good mood every day last week-I wasn't stepping on that darn hunk of plastic!

.4 lbs?? :huh: That's not even a full cup of water. Could you honestly look at yourself and SEE a .4 lb gain? I think the average poop weighs more than that.

I think we all just need to learn how to deal with a silly number and read more into HEALTH and BODY COMPOSITION. Step on the scale as often as you want, and realize that it tells you pretty much nothing. Heck, I get on the scale all the time because I like seeing my weight go up and down. It lets me know how much waste I just got rid of or how much water I lost in my last workout so I can replace it.

If you weighed 110 lbs, but were 55% body fat, would you still be happy just because the scale said you were only 110?
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale under the bathroom cabinet & say goodbye. You know by your clothes and yourself when weight is lost Trust yourself not that scale:wink:

Alisha
  • jroesemeier
    Options
    :sad: Sorry! Yes your scale is broke, but what are you doing weighing yourself multiple times a day? I think that's just asking for trouble. Once in the morning naked and then get on with life. You're beautiful just the way you are!:happy: -jane