how many grams of fat do u eat daily??

Options
I have been watching my calories and having fluctuated results. I just spent a week with my mom, who is also losing weight and I joined her in limiting fat grams. By staying under 20-30 g a day, I lost 3 pounds in 3 days!! We ate organic from whole foods and we rigged out on healthy food and still both lost weight!

I'm trying to find a healthy amount of fat a day. Any recommendations? How much do the ladies have a day?

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I have been watching my calories and having fluctuated results. I just spent a week with my mom, who is also losing weight and I joined her in limiting fat grams. By staying under 20-30 g a day, I lost 3 pounds in 3 days!! We ate organic from whole foods and we rigged out on healthy food and still both lost weight!

I'm trying to find a healthy amount of fat a day. Any recommendations? How much do the ladies have a day?

Eating fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

I eat around 30%-35% of my calories from fat which comes out to 73g to 86g and I am losing more weight than I ever did on low fat diets.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to my protein and carbs, but I just wanted to mention, don't hate fat. You don't want to eat a lard sandwich or anything of course, but your body does need some fat in your foods! :flowerforyou:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat... I worry more about protein/carbs myself.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I try and keep mine under 50 grams daily, which is 20 grams less than the recommended maximum for my DV
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of fat doesn't make you gain weight. It makes me go to the bathroom more (seriously) but that's about it. I eat about 40-60g a day but I eat healthy fats - almonds, avacados, etc. Almonds are great for stabalizing blood sugar levels in the body, helping you feel full, etc. Olive oil is great for my skin and hair. If I eliminate these kinds of fats, my hair looks like crap, my skin gets oily, and I start craving a cheeseburger.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Agree with above posters. I eat 10% carbs, 45% protein and 45% fat. I've lost 54 pounds in about 4 months. I think carbs are much more worrisome than fat. That said, fat has more than twice as many cals as carb/protein, so I think that's why it's demonized.

I average 1500 cals per day and eat 70-90 grams of fat per day.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm generally under what MFP recommends and often quite a bit higher on protein instead. I don't mind this, because fat doesn't fill you up, except with calories.

That said, not enough fat affects your digestion (constipation) and how your hair and skin looks and is just as important as water for that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Last week, I averaged just under 87 fat grams per day and lost 2 pounds for the week (a three-day WI isn't an accurate picture, since weight fluctuates so much).

I don't really watch my fat intake. You need fat for a lot of reasons, including absorption of certain vital vitamins. You probably ended up eating fewer calories because you were being so watchful of your fat intake and that's why you saw results.

If your fat comes from healthy sources like healthy oils, peanut butter, nuts, etc., it actually will aid your weight loss, not hinder it.

(I also averaged 194 carb grams per day. I don't know if that's a lot or a little, though.I don't worry about things like that. I just focus on calories and eating a balanced diet. It works.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Fat

Description: Fats aren't necessarily bad for you, but you need only a small amount. Dietary fat is a nutrient that helps your body absorb essential vitamins, maintains the structure and function of cell membranes, and helps keep your immune system working. Some types of fat, though, may increase your risk of heart disease and other health problems. Fat also has a lot of calories, increasing the risk of weight gain.

Recommendation: Limit total fat to 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories. Fat has 9 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 400 to 700 calories a day, or about 44 to 78 grams of total fat. Emphasize unsaturated fats from healthier sources, such as lean poultry, fish and healthy oils, such as olive, canola and nut oils. Limit less healthy full-fat dairy products, desserts, pizza, burgers and sausage, and other fatty meats.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mine averages about 50g a day - if it's way over, I can usually identify the culprit!

But plenty of cheese, avocado, nuts and yoghurt are in there without difficulty.
  • buddybopper
    Options
    I eat around 90 grams of fat per day and limit my carbs. I've lost six pounds in just over a week. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat.