Made To Crave book club (closed group)

Options

Replies

• sarahemily72
    Options
    Ch. 1
    1, HOw do my craving "Look"? I would say my craving remind me of an invisible force that pulls me toward the pantry, fridge, or into the McDonald's drive-thru. They are like a dull light......I say to myself....Just one more snack and I will start my diet tomorrow! Then I am mad at that little invisibe evil craving for getting the best of me. After I am drawn in the light pops and then I feel cloudy....I have to remember my mom's favortie saying......"A minute on the lips, forever on the hips!"

2. I really wanted to become a teacher. I was and still am obsessed with teacher supplies, children's books, organizational tools....The difference in that craving to become a teacher and a craving for foods is I am lifted up after I reach a goal and not defeated.....Positive momentum instead of back to square one feeling.

3. I am going to try to listen a little harder to my cravings and find out what I am really craving.....could I be replacing sleep, desires, etc....with food? I will focus on that starting today.

4. Giving into unhealthy cravings is my biggest problem! Working on that!

5. I am going to write down scriptures that will help me in all areas of my life and start memorizing them....God tells us to do this......I look at it like we are loading ammunition!

WOW....glad I answered those questions.....HOMEWORK!!!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ch1
    1. I suppose my cravings take on the form of a fog. Maybe I don't notice it at first, but then it can come up suddenly and it - all of the sudden - surrounds me.. even overwhelms me. Just last night, I had a piece of pizza. I really was fine with just one. Befoer I knew it, i had shoved down 3 pieces and could only sit dumfounded and think: "Why did I forget to pray through that?!?" If it could talk, I think it would tell me that I have no control. Questions I would ask it? I guess my biggest would be: "Why does control seems so hard to obtain?" I guess the response would be "because you go about seeking it the wrong way".
    2. I love that God made us to crave. I just wish it wasn't often for things not in His divine will! My most recent "craving" was to have another child. Oh, the blessing of having the desires of my heart! Maybe having him has made me want to be inshape - to have more time with him and my other 2 kiddos! It's awesome to have a good craving met!
    3. I think if we can truly pray away our bad cravings, that maybe with them in the past, the future craving can multiply into cravings of a better relationship with God and the people he places in our lives. Listening to those good cravings - so often His call to do His will - I believe will lead to a truly HAPPY LIFE!
    4. CRAVINGS: Just last night - my craving (unknowingly - especially bc I had healthy leftovers at home that I had planned to eat!) was pizza :( LUST OF THE EYES: Does it count that my dryer went out on Monday and now I now only want but NEED a new one? Okay maybe the bad part is I was one with all the bells and whistles even though a plain model will do the same job! BOASTING: lol ... I may occassionally feign humility with my husband! I wish he really DID see how hard I work in all aspects of my life for our family. The most difficult to resist is cravings, for me. Like I mentioned, then are just so sneaky! The easiest to resist I suppose id boasting - I TRY not to boast, but admittedly, Satan gets the upper hand sometimes!
    5. I love the idea of using sscripture to defeat temptaion! I am excited to put it into practice!
  • MereMe
    Options
    Ch2
    1. Until now, I have felt out of control. I felt like a slave to my cravings and really didn't feel like I deserved the efforts it will take to get healthy.
    2. My primary motivation is just to be healthy to my kids (and I quietly admit - i wouldn't mind being a "hot mom" too!). Now that I feel so strongly about my goal, I do think that is a big enough motivation! For me, it definantly DOES have to be about more than just me!
    3. I absolutely, in the past, turned to food as a best friend. Desperate sounding - I know! Whether boredom or sadness - being irate or excited - whatever the emotions, food was my support. Had I relied on God, I would not have this reflection in the mirror and I would be more confidant in my daily life.
    4. As Sarah mention, I prayed my way through a craving for a 7 layer Taco Bell Burrito the other day. I wasn't even hungry, the "fog" of desire just crept in and I just HAD to have one. Even so, God helped me drive right on by it and I haven't had anything but a fast food salad since! Woo Hoo - THAT's huge progress for me!!1
    5. I am definantly in this for the long term. I keep reminding myself - I am NOT on a diet! I am in a new lifestyle and way of eating and thinking! What thought's come to mind when dismantling my "tower"? As Mel Gibson shouted in Braveheart: "FREEDOM!!!!!!!!"
  • MereMe
    Options
    Ch3
    1. A huge fan of "The A Team", you would think that "I love it when a plan comes together". However, I am more of a spontaneaous go with the flow kinda gal. Maybe that's part of my issue... all of the traffic is pulling into McDonalds.. I'll just go with the flow. Ha!
    2. Planning my day - when to work, eat, and have family time is against my nature, but I relaly do thrive when I plan! I DO feel empowered and I hate to admit - I like the boundaries placed by a plan! See? I am a basket case! lol - I hate restrictions, but thrive in them - how messed up is that!?!? Planning what I will eat definantly holds me accountable for my intake - somedays that's great and I am finding that somedays, it totally fences me in!
    3. My body APPEARS to say that I am "fat and laxy". In stark contrast I am motivated and very active. Moreso than I feel that my body "reveals my secrets", I feel like it'e TELLING LIES on me!!!
    4. I feel encouraged and equipped as I am beginning this journey!
    5. Words to describe my long term plan: Structured, yet forgiving (I know I won't always eat perfect or "clean") and exciting and challenging (I am excited to raise my family to make great choices and I am looking forward to the challenge of sticking with it!)
  • MereMe
    Options
    EVERYONE! Comment on your Chapters each week when you have time. At any point, you are welcome to reply to someone else's posts, ask questions, and seek motivation! That's what we are here for! If you read ahead, just try to wait and post until the Monday after those Chapters are due, please. If you haven't read a Chapter yet, read it and list your replies to the Personal Reflections, then take time to skim everyone else's thoughts. We may so often share the same burdens, challenges, and feelings. Share only what you are comfortable with and be certain that this group is cheering YOU on! I am lloking forward to sharing this "read" with y'all!
  • MereMe
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out where to post my comments on specific comments by others! But, I agree with what y'all have said about filling the vacuum with God instead of food. Using faith-rest to deal with problems and anxieties (I Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.") is what believers are told to do. God made us and He knows what we need and what will make us truly happy.

To reply to a specific post, click "Quote" below it on the right and then type your reply under it! :)
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    Ch. 2
    1. I have been doing well for 30 days so I will answer this one like it was 30 days ago.....I was totally powerless when it came to going out to eat with my family. We all just love it! I am going to try and be more organized so that I know each day what is on the menu at home.
    2. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is to have more energy and to live a longer life. I don't want to feel tired and weak because I know it is a vicous cycle!
    3. I have realized that we can make every day a SPECIAL day if we try.....Those "special" days are the days we need to focus and work harder to be more organized.....Having a WW ice cream or something low calorie instead is going to be my goal....I am not going to be caught empty handed (without something healthy in hand as an alternative to a temptation).
    Stress is the main reason I make bad choices....long day used to equal go out to eat to cut down on dishes. That cycle is over....I hope!
    4. If using my cravings is a prompt to pray then I am going to wear out some knees on my jeans.
    5. I just know that this process is going to take time and a lot of good choices....slow and steady! NO fast fixes!
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    Chapter 3.....

1. Plans....I love a plan! I'm the man with the plan....sometimes I get so excited about the plan but a little overwhelmed with the work it may involve. But I know that once I have a plan and put it into action I am usually so excited. HMMMM.....this brings to mind the little saying about the highway to hell is paved with good intentions.

2. I always loved writing lesson plans when I was a teacher. I never liked to follow the ones in the teacher's guide! For me, if I can have the control over the plan (whether it is a meal plan or lesson plans) I seem to do better. I feel like I am a creative person so I have found that STUCTURE with room for CREATIVITY works best for me!

4. Recently, I asked the doctor to check my thyroid and it was underactive just as I suspected. Knowing this made me feel more equipped for sure! So now I am taking Synthroid and hopefully this will help!

5. I think the MFP is the best plan that I have seen! I love having all of the caloric information at my fingertips! I can stick to this!!! I love weight watchers but the POINTS system is hard to me. I am going to try to eat WW meals and cook from my many cookbooks that are low calorie.....I am a skinny-want-to-be......Mereme pointed out that I had all of the DVDs and exercise bands, etc.....Just needed a friend to get me motivated!!!
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Being Accountable seems to be one of the keys for me. If I know I have to give an account,,,, an HONEST account, my will power is greatly improved. It also helps to know that the battle is not being fought alone.
  • CarrieBeard
    Options
    Still working on the responses to the end of the Chapters... some are more difficult to nail down for me right now. I love the way I am challenged to take a real look and make honest evaluation of my life and habits.
  • MereMe
    Options
    Still working on the responses to the end of the Chapters... some are more difficult to nail down for me right now. I love the way I am challenged to take a real look and make honest evaluation of my life and habits.
    Take your time with each Chapter and really think it through and "live" the principles! The point is not to rush through and finish the book but to put it into practice and evaluate how you relate! :) ~Looking forward to your responses! And "alone" is no longer an option for accountability! You have all of us!
  • CarrieBeard
    Options
    Loving this book! The honesty is refreshing. I can soooo relate to so many of Lysa's experiences. :embarassed:
  • MereMe
    Options
    My apologies! I am a poor moderator! Here's our extended schedul. Please comment/reply to others as often as you like. When posting the Personal Reflections, please put the Chapter # at the beginning so those who haven't completed them yet can skim to the next post :)

By 8/26 - Chapters 6 ~7
    By 8/29 - Chapters 8 ~ 9
    By 9/2 - Chapters 10 ~ 11
    By 9/5 - Chapters 12 ~ 13
    By 9/9 - Chapters 14 ~ 15
    By 9/12 - Chapters 16 ~ 17
    By 9/16 - Chapters 18 ~ 19
    By 9/19, summarize you "take" on the book & how it has changed your perceptions & cravings! :)
  • CarrieBeard
    Options
    Paraphrased...."The #'s on the scale only represent how much our bodies weigh, not how much we are valued!!!" - Soooo true. why is it so hard to convince our minds of that?

Anyone else have some form of "tankles"? "THAT" thing that maybe we've seen as a curse that God had other ideas about....

I've always wished to be taller. (for years I have said,,,,,"I'm not over weight, I'm under tall." :tongue:
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    I have read my assigned chapters....Just need to sit down and respond!!!! I will do that this weekend! I hope!
  • denisejelinek
    denisejelinek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah!
    LOVE the book: a mother's rule of life - it's all about organizing your life according to God's will: prayer first, next attention to you as a person, next partner, then parent and finally provider.

I love it and it has really helped me organize my entire house (not perfectly, but provided suggestions) and scheduling my family, errand running, etc.

I can share more if you have more questions :)
  • denisejelinek
    denisejelinek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LATE ENTRY:

Hello -

I found your community as I just finished (and am re-reading) made to crave.

I have had tremendous breakthroughs - in fact, strife with my husband (that was eventually resolved between the two of us - praisd God) actually left me wanting to run straight to Jesus...Holy Cow! I did actually crave, long for, the comfort and companionship of our Lord! I was shocked once I realized what had happened.

Anyway, like many of you, accountability is Key. This is journey that so wonderful and I've found the best part is the ability to take others with us, if they would like ot join.

So, I am here for the accountability.

Mom of 2 boys: 2 and 5. Married 8 years. Part-time personal trainer...love being home with my boys!

Finally, I do not face book and am very new to onine communities, so I am not sure how often I will be present here.

Regardless, you are all in my prayers and just having this community helps me know you are here.

Thank you!
  • MereMe
    Options
    "I'm not over weight, I'm under tall." :tongue:

love it! :)
  • MereMe
    Options
    Hi Sarah!
    LOVE the book: a mother's rule of life - it's all about organizing your life according to God's will: prayer first, next attention to you as a person, next partner, then parent and finally provider.

Funny thing - I have always put myself as the last "rung" on the ladder of importance - since joining MFP and beginning the book, I am doing my best to pay myself that attention! :)
  • MereMe
    Options
    WELCOME Denise! Jump in when ya can and THANKS for sharing with us! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.