How to prevent cramps while running (my side and calf)

I am fairly new to running. Started a few weeks ago. I love it however i get cramps in my side, kinda where my rib cage is, below my breast. I also get them in my calfs. How do i prevent them? Will they just eventually stop once my body gets used to my running routine?

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    bump, i'd like to know too. I've quit running due to these cramps.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Bananas! :) They have a lot of potassium, which prevents cramps. Also, pace yourself. Don't start off at a fast pace, just ease yourself into it. As for your calves, run with your whole foot, from heel to toe, especially if you tend to run on the balls of your foot or your toes like I do. And DRINK!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Bananas! :) They have a lot of potassium, which prevents cramps. Also, pace yourself. Don't start off at a fast pace, just ease yourself into it. As for your calves, run with your whole foot, from heel to toe, especially if you tend to run on the balls of your foot or your toes like I do. And DRINK!

Excellent advice. I eat a banana an hour or two before every run.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Side stitches are due to oxygen deprivation. This can happen because you're running too fast for too long and it's made worse by running too soon after eating, especially a large meal your body needs to work hard to digest. Calf cramps are generally due to an electrolyte deficiency. You need more sodium and potassium. You can get sports drinks (I avoid sugary ones because if you're eating enough good foods you have enough carbs for energy.) or you can do what I do, which is add lemon juice and a pinch of salt to my water when I'm working out long. You really, really don't need to worry about salt the way people think. Eat more salty foods and that will help too.
  • fairylacious1021
    fairylacious1021 Posts: 4 Member
    I used to get the side cramps as well, but noticed it only happens if I had eaten to soon before running or had alot of water to drink before my runs.
  • i get a cramp in my side too, whenever that happens i basically just grab the area and squeeze hard. i keep running as i'm doing this, and it works every time. the cramp goes away in about 15-20 seconds. i was talking to a personal trainer once about this and he said that's actually the right thing to do, he rattled off some biological reason why this is an effective way to reduce cramping.

sorry for all the bro science here, but this method works really well for me! :)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I do the side squeeze like Carolynmittens. A good way to prevent them is to time your breathing with your step. Breathe in when your left foot hits the ground. Breathe out the next time your left foot hits the ground. I rarely get them since I've started doing them unless I'm pushing myself way too hard.