Packing lunch for picky eaters...

Options
School is about to be in session again, which means it's almost time for me to go back to work. I would like some ideas for packing lunches that are healthy, low in sodium, and also include veggies. I'm not a fan of raw veggies outside of cucumbers and have recently increased my repertoire of veggies from potatoes, cucumbers, and green beans only to carrots, green peppers, snap beans, black eyed peas, spinach (though i have no idea how to cook it), onions, field peas, and steamed broccoli. I have about 20 minutes to eat lunch at work, so any prep will have to be done quickly or in advance. Also, we are of course limited to microwaves or else I would buy a cheap pan and make some scrambled eggs on occasion. I want variety as well. One year I tried spinach salad (hate lettuce and tomato) for months and by the end of it couldn't stand the idea. I would hate to do that again.

Thanks!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I bought a lunch box from Laptop Lunches for myself. It's essentially a bento style lunch box, and you don't really need the fancy box. There are so many websites dedicated to these style lunches, and they offer great variety. This website (http://lunchinabox.net/) is a great place to start. Good luck!
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    bump :)
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would say try bringing some snap peas or something you do like raw along with a sandwich or something...to mix it up there are always frozen meals like smart ones and lean cuisine...just make sure to check the sodium.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I prep and bag all of my breakfast and lunches for the week on Sunday. I end up coming to work on Monday morning with a grocery bag filled with single portions of fruit and veg. This week it's all about watermelon, apples, raw broccoli, celery, carrots, grapes, and sandwiches for lunch. I end up eating a bag or fruit\veg every couple of hours. Spinach salads are a favorite because they keep well throughout the week...just baby spinach, red onion, and feta...it smells bad but it's delicious and packed with vitamins. When in doubt a nice veggie platter is quick and easy.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You mention you like eggs - we just made some mini quiches this weekend. We put some shredded potatoes and whatever other veggies appeal to you - we cooked them over the stove first. Then divide it in muffin pan sprayed with cooking spray, fill cups with beaten egg and bake (we did it at 400 degrees for about 25 min). We popped them out of the muffin pan and put them in the fridge, and have been eating them for breakfast or snacks.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can make scrambled eggs in the microwave. Just cook them for about 40 seconds, stir, then cook another 20 seconds. It might vary depending on the microwave.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    now if you like spinach.. eat it RAW and make a big salad with spinach and all the other raw veggies you like.. throw in a boiled egg for some protein and cheese... YUMMY!!

but of course not everyday.

use to micro wave and use those veggies and eggs and make omletes or veggie scrambles.. add some cheese if ya want.. YUMMY!!!

umm... just pack a lunch of all those veggies you do like.. and start trying some new ones.. i've found i like more than i thought...

and i like roasted veggies... like brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus.. roast on 425 for 40 min and just reheat the next day in the micro..
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hate packing lunch so my suggestions are not great. I usually keep washed and cut up lettuce. I usually pack a small salad with some grape or cherry tomatoes. I don't really like eating a ton of deli meat, but a sandwich with meat and fat free cheese on low calorie whole wheat bread (Sara Lee has one that is on 90 calories for two slices) with mustard (or local calorie mayo), tomato, onion, balsamic vinegar salad dressing spray, pickles or banana peppers is usually an option. I also like those mozzerella sticks with some ham, roast beef or turkey wrapped around them. I save on the calories and carbs from bread that way. Then a piece of fruit. Dressing up a salad for protein is also an easy option. Just get some deli meat and low fat cheese, roll them up and then slice them. Cut up a boiled egg and add it. Egg salad, tuna salad and chicken salad (all with low calorie mayo) are other options.

You also mentioned not knowing how to cook spinach. Here are two suggestions.

(1) just add raw spinach to your scrambled eggs or omelet towards the end.
    (2) heat up a pan with olive oil or Pam. Sautee fresh garlic (which you can buy already chopped up in the produce section). Add raw spinach. Add sea salt, if you have room in your sodium count. Just stir and cook for a few minutes. It is the only way that I will eat cooked spinach. Otherwise, I have a strong aversion to it.