Wii vs. XBox Kinect

My husband is starting to work night shifts and on his days off he wont have anything to do during the night so we are thinking about getting a gaming console for him to play and me to work out with. I told him we had to get one that you could exersice with and play netflix.

I was wondering....
1. Which one will give you a harder workout?
2. Which one has cheaper games?
3. What are some good titles for working out?
4. Anything else you think I should know about either?

Your anwsers would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I love Kinect, I had a Wii before we got the Kinect and I used it but didn't feel like I got much of a workout from using it. I used Wii Fit and Just Dance.
    The Kinect tracks your whole body. I use Dance Central and Your Shape Fitness Evolved and always get a good workout from both. I've also heard good things about the Zumba for the Kinect too.

Edited to add: Wii games are generally cheaper but you can pick up pre-owned Kinect games for about the same price.

If you want the better workout go for the Kinect.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    I love Kinect, I had a Wii before we got the Kinect and I used it but didn't feel like I got much of a workout from using it. I used Wii Fit and Just Dance.
    The Kinect tracks your whole body. I use Dance Central and Your Shape Fitness Evolved and always get a good workout from both. I've also heard good things about the Zumba for the Kinect too.

Edited to add: Wii games are generally cheaper but you can pick up pre-owned Kinect games for about the same price.

If you want the better workout go for the Kinect.

What she said. :D
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Kinect. Wii just doesn't cut it. And the EA Active 2 for the kinect can be really tough.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    The only downside to Kinect that I've heard is that you need to make sure that you have the space to use it. There's a guideline somewhere of the distance you need to be from the TV and how wide the room should be for it to properly track you. Someone at work didn't know that and bought one and ended up selling it a couple of days later. Their livingroom where the TV is just isn't big enough to make it work.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Kinect definitely makes you have to move more, the Wii just tracks the remote. I have Zumba for the Xbox and it's pretty fun. To make it harder, you could even add in a couple of light weights. I don't know about the others games though.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    I'm sure either one will work as long as you really give it your all when you're working out. I have a Wii and I LOVE it! Lately I've been 'playing' the Zumba game and I burn anywhere from 450-600 calories an hour playing that game! I have a HRM so I know that's what I'm burning, I'm not just guessing :)
  • mikerouse
    mikerouse Posts: 33 Member
    I was wondering....
    1. Which one will give you a harder workout?
    2. Which one has cheaper games?
    3. What are some good titles for working out?
    4. Anything else you think I should know about either?

I have a Kinect and was trying to choose between Kinect and Wii for ages before settling on the Kinect just last month.

I am impressed with the early first impression but there are things that annoy me. I'll answer your questions first and then list my own notes.

1) I think the Kinect is harder as you can do more moves
    2) Kinect games seem expensive, but I download a demo first before buying...
    3) ... The Zumba demo was a very good experience in terms of sheer movement and sweat!
    4) And here's what you should know:

The Kinect needs lots of space and you have to get the lighting just right. I am finding that the effort to rearrange my room and set the lighting is a bit demotivating so I am thinking of moving the Xbox into another room. The games take an age to load and it's slow to get them started using hand gestures. My (old version) Xbox will often crash when I try and load a game meaning I have to restart and reload. Not too much of a problem but annoying.
  • We just bought the Kinect a couple of weeks ago! It is great and games like Dance Central and even the Kinect Sports are fun and can get you to work up a sweat! It's just a whole body workout, whereas the Wii just requires movement of the remote. Just make sure you research the amount of room needed and you should have no problems! Good luck!
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    We've had both. And got rid of the Wii, the Kinect is a far better bang for your buck. The workout games actually require the movement of your entire body, not just one arm, and the actual games (for hubby) are realistic and satisfying as opposed to cartoony goofy games that he lost interest in within the first 2 days. I can't get mine off the Tiger Woods golf lol! My living room isn't huge, I just shove my coffee table over a bit and voila. I don't recall game prices, I would imagine xbox ones are more, but for good reason, they are quality and you don't get sick of looking at little weeble people everyday. Have fun!
  • Caro239
    Caro239 Posts: 46 Member
    I also love the xbox kinect. I have the your shape game and the biggest looser. Its brilliant. :smile:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    As much as I hate Micro$oft, I would have to say Kinect, because you can use your whole body.
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    I say kinect cause its more accurate so you know what you need to improve on and your husband will have some good games to play!
  • tonid76
    tonid76 Posts: 51
    Does anyone have the Zumba game for the xbox kinect? my gamertag is tdemeza76 is anyone wants to do a zumba party. Still not real sure how to do that LOL but I'm willing to try :)