67kg, can someone explain how that is 'obese'?

Options
2»

Replies

• dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Body Mass Index is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in recent years. I've lost 35 pounds and am now down to my college weight that I had 15 years ago. But according to the BMI number here on MFP, I'm still borderline overweight!! WTF?

And based solely on my height, I'd still be considered healthy if I lost another 40 pounds? I'd be almost transparent and looking quite sickly if that were the case.

To me, these BMI numbers are meaningless and not worth worrying another second about.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    you can easily calculate your body fat by taking some measurements and referring to a chart:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/bodyfat.htm

the theory behind this is basically that as people become more muscular, their waistline measurement becomes closer to their neck measurement.

if you are working out and gaining muscle, your neck neck circumference might increase slightly (or it might not), but your waist size will decrease - therefore bodyfat is lower...

if you are gaining weight because of fat, your neck will grow, but your waist will grow faster - therefore bodyfat is higher....
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I would use body fat calculator something like this. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator
    I think Marine or YMCA formula are the best.

I was excited to see this link as an estimator since my body fat for the past 3 years was tested with my previous employer (an optional wellness thing) and I was 20-22% over the last 3 yrs and those scales you buy in stores are about 5% higher BUT, according to this website I’m;

15% BF according to the US Army’s body fat algorithm
    534% US Marine body fat algorithm
    25% US Navy body fat algorithm
    39% formula developed by the YMCA.

That’s quite a spectrum, 534% is not a typo either!!!!

I'm 5'8, 140lbs, BMI 21.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    i wonder why your numbers were so different from test to test??? i just plugged my numbers in and got the following body fat:

10.9% army
    6.2% marine
    6.5% navy
    7.6% YMCA

i'm a 5'10" male, 165lbs
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 25.2
    GO TO: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597

You can calculate the estimated BMI either in metric or the American version (they call it, mistakenly, the "english" version).
    Thanks for this calculator. It really strikes me though the huge difference between the different estimation. Like 17% between YMCA (which shows the lowest to me), and the us army one. ( show the highest )
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Omg, I hate those scales haha! I just brought some myself! My analog scales say I weight 69kgs and my new ones say 73kgs :( lol. I know what you mean about body fat too, mine says 22%... its annoying.