Summer Recipes?

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
Ok, it's hot out here!! And my kitchen is the hottest room in the house!! Does anyone have any good recipes that they want to share that requires little to not oven use? Something that you like to make during the summer months only!!

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    try crock pot recipes
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, crock pot is a great idea. We do most of our cooking outdoors in Summer to keep the heat down in the kitchen, and because it's fun. Just about any meat and a lot of summer veggies can be grilled. A grill basket or skewers are great for cooking veggies on the grill
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Yeah, but it's 110 outside where I'm out, so I would rather bake in my kitchen than outside! LOL!!

I do use the crockpot alot already, I guess that is my only option.
  • jupaba
    jupaba Posts: 25
    Options
    I rely on the bbq almost all summer. Sometimes I take the crock pot and put it on the deck - that way there is no heat at all in my kitchen.
  • mjchaves
    Options
    A cool refreshing drink...Lite Sangria. 2 cups of dry red wine, 2 cups of lite cranberry juice, 1 cup of Fresca (diet soda, grapefruit taste) Add fresh citrus fruit to garnish (oranges, lemons, limes, etc) and serve over ice:-)

Also, a nice cool snack power packed with protein...Toss these ingredients together and chill. 2 sliced tomatos, 1 diced, cucumber, 1 oz fat free feta, 2 tbl toasted pine nuts, 1 tsp olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt and pepper.
  • MrKevboto
    Options
    I'm gonna try something new today:

Grilled Extra Firm Tofu (half a package) marinated in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and shredded mint leaves.
    One mashed Yukon potato with one tablespoon of smart balance butter (made with olive oil) and seasoned with Mediterranean spices.
    6oz of sliced mushrooms simmered in their own juices and a touch of balsamic vinegar.

Less than 400 calories,
    about 30 carbs,
    less than 15g of fat,
    about 30g of protein.

I get my greens in a [hard to keep down] shake. That way I don't have to go overboard on all my meals. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but it's 110 outside where I'm out, so I would rather bake in my kitchen than outside! LOL!!

I do use the crockpot alot already, I guess that is my only option.

Maybe some quick stove top recipes such as stir fry? Also, most veggies can be steamed in a microwave. Or maybe look for recipes that are good reheated, then cook at night when it's cooler and reheat the next day?
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    my easy dish is talapia, broccoli and cauli rice:

cook two talapia filets in a pan (use cooking spray or a 1/2 tbsp sweet cream butter) season with garlic powder and black pepper. this takes hardly anytime to cook.

then put a head of cauliflower in a food processor and process til its the consistency of rice. now that will make a lot so you can store up to 3 days in the fridge. i portion out 1 cups worth onto a plate cover with moist paper towel and microwave 1-2 minute or til desired heat/texture.

then steam a cup of broccoli.

all together it comes to 275 calories and less than 10 minutes of actual cooking :)
    here is the pic

100_5943.jpg

but i haven't had any luck posting pics so if that doesn't work try here:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/swtkaylasmommy/100_5943.jpg
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    lol i guess the pic worked after all :)
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    That looks delicious!! I guess fish doesn't take too long to cook on the stove top. Good idea!
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    During football season we don't get home til late on practice nights, so we make sandwiches/subs at least once a week:

Deli meats,
    Smoked salmon spread,
    Meatball (meatballs made in the crockpot),
    BLTs (bacon is microwaved),
    hummus veggie,
    ham croquettes in the crockpot,
    etc

I was in Dallas last week and the heat was unbelievable! Anywhere out in the midwest I can't blame you not wanting to grill, which is usually a good solution.