Low allowed sugar

Hi,

I've noticed that my sugar allowance for the day is difficult to meet. I have a yogurt (flavored) and a banana for breakfast and it puts me over my daily sugar by 10mg, that seems a little nuts. Anyone else notice that? Has anyone figured out what to do ? I'm going to drop the flavored yogurt but that's only 26 mg of sugar, if I have a glass of OJ or Apple Juice it seems like I'm gonna go over.

Thanks,

John

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    The default level on MFP is really low - track it if you like, and if the figures in red don't drive you mad! I usually look to make sure my sugar was mostly coming from natural sources, but I don't worry about it too much. Calories, carbs and protein are the macros I really focus on.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Sugar is sugar BUT if it is sugar that you are getting from fruits, then I would not worry about it so much. However, it is the refined and added sugar that is added to foods that you need to watch out for.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    I'd definitely drop the yogurt and all your "refined" sugars--juice included. Make sure the majority of your sugar intake comes from a natural source--i.e. fruit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I upped my sugar goal so I didn't have to see it going over. Fruit sugars are not necessarily bad, so if that's where yours are coming from, I wouldn't worry about it too much. 26 grams of sugar for yogurt seems like an awful lot though. Have you looked at other brands to see if you can find one with less sugar? I eat plain Greek yogurt (Fage fat free) in the morning and just add a packet of Stevia to sweeten it for 6 grams of sugar total. It's also higher in protein and calcium than regular yogurt, so it's a win-win.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    The default level on MFP is really low - track it if you like, and if the figures in red don't drive you mad! I usually look to make sure my sugar was mostly coming from natural sources, but I don't worry about it too much. Calories, carbs and protein are the macros I really focus on.

I agree with this completely. The red numbers really do drive me crazy. But I look at what I've eaten today: yogurt, a salad, hummus, etc. These are all healthy things. So I don't worry about the sugar count too much as long as I know it didn't come from coca-cola or a brownie.
  • I wouldn't cut yogurt out of your diet - it's healthy for you! Try to find one that's a bit lower in sugar. Mine has 20 grams per serving, which is not much better than yours, but it's the only yogurt I've tried that I enjoyed the taste of without having to throw a bunch of fruit in there (which would only up the sugar) so I'm not giving it up! I have some plain Greek yogurt too but I use it as a sour cream substitute - it doesn't do it for me as a dessert.

I've found that the information on daily recommended sugar intake varies so much. I googled it just now and found a website saying to limit it to 20 grams a day, another said 40, another said 100! As long as most of your sugar comes from fruit and not cake and candy bars, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure that you're eating much less sugar now than before you started MFP anyway :smile:
  • I upped my sugar goal so I didn't have to see it going over.

How can you up your sugar goal? I can't seem to manage to.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    "My Home", "Goals", "Change Goals", "Custom" than type in the number of grams of sugar you'd like to be as your goal, and Save. :)
  • Thank you! I was trying to do it through the phone app. I succeeded this time. :smile: