Help Yourself Drink More Water!

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, you think you lost weight just by drinking more water? I'm not sure that's possible.
  • StephEx
    StephEx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some must have not read my post all the way hehe :) I said to buy 1 smartwater bottle and refill it with tab water :) so its not so expensive! :) Also @Dancer4275 I agree with you, my doctor told me to drink 8 glasses of water a day.

So when you go to your doctor you should ask your doctor what you should drink they'll most likely say 8 glasses, but you never know :)
  • mahosmama
    Options
    I have a 16oz. insulated glass on my desk and a 16oz. coffee mug. Everytime I fill the glass with water and the mug with decaf coffee or tea I add 2 to the water counter in the food diary. My goal is to drink a gallon a day so when the counter gets to 16 I know I have made it.

I don't like plain water so I add MIO to my water. it has zero calories and no aspertame. It comes in several different flavors and it helps me get my water down.

Today marks 6 weeks on MFP and I have lost 13 lbs. 87 to go.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i bought a camelbak better bottle from llbean.com and it holds 24oz. (3 glasses of water!) its nice because its refillable and doesnt leak. and its a great gym bottle too!!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I drink between 10 and 16 cups of water per day. I don't recommend starving yourself (NEVER) but I do use food itself as a treat. If I'm beginning to get hungry, I drink my water first. A girl's gotta eat, so the incentive works every time!!
  • StephEx
    Options
    So, you think you lost weight just by drinking more water? I'm not sure that's possible.

i didn't say I lost weight solely on water, Im sorry if you misunderstood. I Have lost 5lbs with water intake, walking and portion control. And for me I was an avid pop drinker, So I found this article "Eliminating Sodas To Lose Weight
    Eliminating the empty calories provided by regular soda definitely facilitates weight loss. For example, someone eliminating a 12-oz. can of soda a day can easily lose a 1/4 to 1/3 lb. a week, which can lead to a 12 to 18 lb. loss over the course of a year. People drinking more soda can see an even bigger impact on their weight. For example, in someone used to drinking three to four cans a day, eliminating soda will result in a 1 to 1 1/2-lb. weekly weight loss."
    and that opened my eyes. So maybe my 5lbs lost was just from water, you never know! :)

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/206171-how-many-pounds-can-you-lose-by-not-drinking-soda/#ixzz1USMcm54W
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    @ StephanieExendin
    If your doctor told you to drink 8 glasses a day that's great! But, I wouldn't be encouraging others to drink 8 glasses a day. Every body is different and has very different needs. I hope I'm not coming across as a know it all...or rude or anything!
    just a discussion between pals;)
  • bcattoes
    Options

i didn't say I lost weight solely on water, Im sorry if you misunderstood. I Have lost 5lbs with water intake, walking and portion control. And for me I was an avid pop drinker, So I found this article "Eliminating Sodas To Lose Weight
    Eliminating the empty calories provided by regular soda definitely facilitates weight loss. For example, someone eliminating a 12-oz. can of soda a day can easily lose a 1/4 to 1/3 lb. a week, which can lead to a 12 to 18 lb. loss over the course of a year. People drinking more soda can see an even bigger impact on their weight. For example, in someone used to drinking three to four cans a day, eliminating soda will result in a 1 to 1 1/2-lb. weekly weight loss."
    and that opened my eyes. So maybe my 5lbs lost was just from water, you never know! :)

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/206171-how-many-pounds-can-you-lose-by-not-drinking-soda/#ixzz1USMcm54W

Okay, that makes sense. There are a lot of people on this site that seem to see water as some miracle weight loss tool which I find baffling. But when water replaces a high calorie drink that's definitely going to be helpful for weight loss. Congrats on your loss.
  • StephEx
    Options
    @ StephanieExendin
    If your doctor told you to drink 8 glasses a day that's great! But, I wouldn't be encouraging others to drink 8 glasses a day. Every body is different and has very different needs. I hope I'm not coming across as a know it all...or rude or anything!
    just a discussion between pals;)

No problem :) But my topic was "Help yourself drink more water" Not "You need to drink 8 glasses of water" Haha. Im just offering those my advice, for people who want to drink 8 glasses :)
  • sandybunch101
    sandybunch101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your idea is great, however, we've been told to avoid reusing the plastic recycled water bottles. So, I keep my water in a big 64 ounce pitcher and make sure I drink all of it when I am at home and/or I use a large to-go cup that holds a full pint or more of water to drink when i'm on the go. I also use a straw to help me get the water down. I do drink lots of bottled water when I find it on sale. I feel that the bottled water is easier to drink because it is soft water.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I kind of do something similar -- I have a 3-cup water bottle that has a filter in it. The lid has a little dial you can turn to keep track of how many bottles you've had that day. I take it to work and try to drink at least 2 bottles while I'm at work and one when I am home in the evenings. Don't have to worry about it tasting bad thanks to the built in filter.

Are you serious? that sounds so awesome!! where did you get that? i love the tracker and the filter sounds perfect

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/753-EZ-Freeze-Pure-64-Ounce/dp/B003V54F66/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1312830634&sr=8-21

It comes in a lot of other sizes. The little blue part at the bottom of the lid is numbered up to 10, and that's how you keep track of how many you've had. I got mine at Belk on maaaajjoorr clearance for about $4. Got a couple extra filters, too. But It's worth the Amazon price, for sure.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

Okay, that makes sense. There are a lot of people on this site that seem to see water as some miracle weight loss tool which I find baffling. But when water replaces a high calorie drink that's definitely going to be helpful for weight loss. Congrats on your loss.

Drinking water CAN induce weight loss. When you aren't getting sufficient water, your body will hold on to the fluids you drink and ingest in your foods. With proper hydration your body will release that extra fluid and you will lose weight. Hence the phrase "water weight."

Now water won't cause you to lose fat, per se. But you will lose weight.
  • pinn44
    pinn44 Posts: 68
    Options
    I just started drinking 8 glasses of water a week ago today and I've lost 5 lbs. along with eating approx. 1200 calories a day. However, I found that when I fill my cup up at the cooler I drink one right there and take one back to my desk. Each time I fill up I drink a glass while standing there. So far today I've already had 9 - 8oz. glasses of water. If I use a water bottle or anything larager than 8 oz. I start to feel intimidated. I guess it's a mind thing. Now if I can only get this to work on the weekends I'd be great. Weekends not so good between Sat. and Sun. I had 1 16 oz. bottle. A work in progress!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I just use a bike bottle, usually a couple of ££'s. Easy to sip from, a good gym bottle, and doesn't leak. I find carrying it and taking it out with me makes me feel fitter as well, strangely.

I sip from it all day, have it on my desk, next to my chair, bedside table, car.

Keep on sipping!

sis%20water%20bottle%20800ml.jpg
  • bcattoes
    Options

Drinking water CAN induce weight loss. When you aren't getting sufficient water, your body will hold on to the fluids you drink and ingest in your foods. With proper hydration your body will release that extra fluid and you will lose weight. Hence the phrase "water weight."

Now water won't cause you to lose fat, per se. But you will lose weight.

But what you really just said was not being sufficiently hydrated can make you gain weight, which isn't entirely true either. I'm not suggesting that anyone should not be properly hydrated. But hydration can be attained with any non-alcholic beverage and drinking beyond what is necessary for hydration is unnecessary.
  • smcamp1234
    Options
    I first started with a goal of half my body weight in water. As I started getting in the habit of it I've increased that to my full body weight now, 9 cupes of 20 ounces. This has one helped me eliminate all cravings for any diet or sugar drinks plus all the added health benefits. The increased water intake dramaticly helps reduce the amount of water your body keeps to keep you hydrated and lowers your sodium levels as well. Right away you'll notice a large loss of weight from the extra water weight that your body kept and then with the decreased sodium and sugar levels from less and less diet and sugar drinks even more weight loss occurs.
  • Bp00327
    Options
    You are so right...I actually have a Dasani bottle, but its all the same. I actually find my self drinking 3 or four a day and it actually helps me to Shift my cravings during the day.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Drinking water before your meals is easier to meet your water goals. Also, we as a family have water during our meals, no exceptions. I drink my 6 glasses of water easily during each meal. Water app. reminder is GREAT!