Low Blood Pressure

Options
I hadn't had a single sip of soda in over 6 months but TODAY, while at work I started feeling extremely sick...light headed, dizzy, shakey, nauseated and I knew it - low blood pressure. I often check my blood pressure and I get low readings but when I called my doctor the nurses said it was normal and my readings weren't too low. I was feeling horrible this morning so my coworkers had me drink a few sips of soda to raise my blood pressure...I don't want soda.

is there anything else I can have to raise blood pressure when it drops?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That sounds more like low blood sugar than low BP. Try eating a piece of fruit. Does a few sips of soda really raise BP? I've never heard that before.
  • lrc7
    lrc7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with that sounding like low blood sugar. Sometimes even though doctors say that its not too low it can vary on how it feels for you.
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    That sounds more like low blood sugar than low BP. Try eating a piece of fruit. Does a few sips of soda really raise BP? I've never heard that before.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The caffeine in soda might raise your pulse, but I doubt it has an effect on blood pressure itself. I have low blood pressure and soda has never helped. It does sound like blood sugar so bcattoes' suggestion to try fruit or even fruit juice is a good idea. If it truly is your blood pressure, I don't think there's an immediate fix to raise it. You can try eating more sodium to raise it, but it takes time.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    in my family my mom and my sister have diabetes - high blood sugar so I check my blood sugar often and it's actually always good; I check it about 2 times a day.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    when my BP drops and I feel weak and nausesous, eating seems to be the only thing to help bring it up, even if it is just a snack. Some food in my system usually brings it back up fairly quickly.
  • lrc7
    lrc7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Even if you don't have diabetes, people without it can feel the effects of low blood sugar from time to time. just make sure your eating enough and if you do get that feeling, just eat.
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have the same problem and my bp usually runs in the 90' over 60's range and the other day was 84/46. I was told to increase my salt intake and Doc actually wanted to put me on salt tablets which I denied. I figure I can do it with food but it is tough. When I get that feeling though I usually do a pack of peanut butter crackers I definately cant do really low carb diets. I know it does sound like blood sugar (which I agree you should get checked too) but a lot of people dont realize that low blood pressure can have th same type of symptoms. Good luck! Oh and I suggest a stress test just to make sure there is no underlying cardiac problem. Too many young people are dying from unk heart conditions and its so terrible.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and my bp usually runs in the 90' over 60's range and the other day was 84/46. I was told to increase my salt intake and Doc actually wanted to put me on salt tablets which I denied. I figure I can do it with food but it is tough. When I get that feeling though I usually do a pack of peanut butter crackers I definately cant do really low carb diets. I know it does sound like blood sugar (which I agree you should get checked too) but a lot of people dont realize that low blood pressure can have th same type of symptoms. Good luck! Oh and I suggest a stress test just to make sure there is no underlying cardiac problem. Too many young people are dying from unk heart conditions and its so terrible.

Mine is the same way and I feel TERRIBLE when it drops lower than my normal low. I agree that crackers is probably the best option for a quick fix.
  • rosalee87
    Options

My BP readings are often like that too, hey...I actually have peanut butter crackers with me right now, I'm gunna try that. I grabbed them last minute while walking out of my house this morning, good thing I did.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh and I suggest a stress test just to make sure there is no underlying cardiac problem. Too many young people are dying from unk heart conditions and its so terrible.
    This is not a bad suggestion. My 21 year old cousin passed away while running on a treadmill this past June. She'd had no history of heart issues before then. My aunt and uncle had her sister go see a cardiologist a few weeks ago.
  • rosalee87
    Options
    Oh and I suggest a stress test just to make sure there is no underlying cardiac problem. Too many young people are dying from unk heart conditions and its so terrible.
    This is not a bad suggestion. My 21 year old cousin passed away while running on a treadmill this past June. She'd had no history of heart issues before then. My aunt and uncle had her sister go see a cardiologist a few weeks ago.

I do agree with the suggestion too, I'm going to set up an appointment with my doctor this week - stop talking to his nurses who tell me EVERYTHING is normal. Back in March I was diagnosed with a heart murmur and after getting an EKG, Holster, and some other test I can't even remember - everything came back normal and the doctor told me it was an "innocent" murmur but I think I should get the stress test too.
  • Babushka_Dolly
    Babushka_Dolly Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some fruit with a high natural sugar?
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    Low blood pressure and low blood sugar are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

Blood pressure is how hard your heart needs to pump to move your blood throughout your body. Blood sugar is the amount of sugar that you've digested that's now traveling through your blood to your cells. Low blood pressure and low blood sugar can both make you feel weak and dizzy but they are NOT the same thing, so make sure you're telling your doctor what's going on correctly!

Definitely talk to your doctor - sounds dangerous either way!
    I hadn't had a single sip of soda in over 6 months but TODAY, while at work I started feeling extremely sick...light headed, dizzy, shakey, nauseated and I knew it - low blood pressure. I often check my blood pressure and I get low readings but when I called my doctor the nurses said it was normal and my readings weren't too low. I was feeling horrible this morning so my coworkers had me drink a few sips of soda to raise my blood pressure...I don't want soda.

is there anything else I can have to raise blood pressure when it drops?