OK, so I lost the weigh -- what's next?

jbcon
jbcon Posts: 1
edited 11:31PM in Fitness and Exercise
This is my first post on myfitness pal forums, but my wife and I have been using the site for over 2 months. After almost three months of dieting, watching our calories and getting regular exercise, I am down 26 lbs. I started things off at almost 210 lbs., which for my 5’10” frame was rather flabby for a 40 year old.

While my goal seems to be a moving target based on my success, I actually for the first time feel that the recommended BMI weight for my body type, age and size may be attainable (175lbs.) and not unrealistic. While my focus is overall fitness and wellbeing, I would like to get down to a manageable weight and then maybe bulk up a little so I am not as self-conscious at the beach.

Up to this point I have easily maintained a 1500 calorie/day regiment with about 300-400 calories burned from exercise, about 4-5 days a week. I try to never to let myself burn less than 150 calories a day even when I don’t do any conscious exercise. Most all of what I do has been walking/running and what I call endurance training at the gym (high rep, low weight).

I do hope to bulk up a little, but do not want to get backup to more than 185 lbs. Since I have yet to allow myself to gain any weight from working out; what should I focus on when I do reach my lower weight-loss goal and start trying to bulk up? Will I need to adjust my daily calories by much, or can I stick at or about 1500. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but since 1500 has been a easy amount of calories for me to work from without feeling like I am missing out on anything, I think it would be harder to add calories than it would be to work out more or less to get the muscles I want. If I just add weigh-lifting as part of my exercise routine, will that get me where I want to be, or do I need to worry about still loosing weight?

I’m just curious as to what if any recommendations anyone has for my “next stage” and whether or not I may have some surprises.

Replies

• Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    For a lot of people here, their next challenge is to lower their body fat percentage by getting more fit. Once I get the weight off I want to focus on being able doing a 10k, then a half-marathon, and finally a full marathon. If you want more muscle definition why not hire a personal trainer and get their advice?
  • I really recommend trying core workouts, focusing mainly on working out with your own body weight. Look up on youtube "core strength training", and "core workouts without weights".
    You might not think it but you can give yourself a crazy workout without even lifting a dumbell. This will help you build (more importantly transform) muscle without getting too big.

Try simple stuff first like holding the plank position for 2min, try getting better at push-ups and multiple variations of them, try pull ups... If any of these sound boring then just look up more variations of what you can do.
    i considered myself fairly strong as far as weights go, but core workouts kick my butt. Its amazing what the human body can do after getting a strong core!
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    I am not sure how to "bulk up" as I am a girl.....haha! But, as far as calories are concerned you might what to experiment for a while with what works for you at this stage in you fitness goals. Be sure to eat all of you calories plus eat back the ones you burned. Lots of protein and good carbs. (Black beans, peanut butter, brown rice.) My husband is trying to put muscle on too and he eats close to 3000 calories a day, but his metabolism is through the roof! He trys different workouts he finds on line, and is constantly trying new things in his workouts. If you want to build muscle you may want to try heavier weights and less reps. I know that its hard to refocus on your goals after focusing on the weight loss for so long, but if you can do some research or even afford a personal trainer, that will educate you on what might work for your body type and goals! Everybody is different and different things work for different people, so just keep trying until you find what works best for you! Best of luck!!!! Keep up the hard work!!!!
This discussion has been closed.