Egg whites and what to do with the yolk

Options
I was looking at bodybuilding.com at the diet they describe for weight loss. Breakfast is meant to be 7 egg whites and one whole egg. I have never managed to get my head around this with body building. If you have to eat 7 egg whites, how do you eat them, hard boiled?
And what really bothers me, is what do you do with the 7 yolks, throw them out? It seems so wasteful. Can you really not just eat three eggs instead????

Replies

• ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My dogs always loved the yolks poured over their dry food!
  • fit_me_89
    Options
    I think they suggest not eating 3 whole eggs every day because the egg yolk is loaded with cholesterol. If you're going to eat the whole egg, it's recommended that you not eat more than 3 or so a week. So, if you eat the egg whites, you get protein without as much cholesterol. It does seem wasteful though...not sure what you could do with the yolks.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    My dogs always loved the yolks poured over their dry food!

Oh yeah, my dad used to do that for our dog, growing up.

My mom used to use just yolks in homemade egg noodles (for chicken pot-pie). Way too much work, IMO.

If I were you, personally, I'd just eat the whole egg(s) and eat less, like 2 whole eggs instead of 7 whites and one yolk. It's just simpler. But I don't know what your personal goals are and how best to reach them :flowerforyou:
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I buy the egg whites only in a carton. They're sold in the fridge case where regular eggs are.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'd try some of the pasteurized egg whites you get in a carton. You'd end up wasting a lot less eggs.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole egg for breakfast everyday with whole wheat toast, two slices of bacon and strawberries on the side. As far as i know, no adverse affects have been happening and I have been losing weight.. so I say, if you want to eat the whole egg then eat the whole egg.
  • joyse
    joyse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was looking at bodybuilding.com at the diet they describe for weight loss. Breakfast is meant to be 7 egg whites and one whole egg. I have never managed to get my head around this with body building. If you have to eat 7 egg whites, how do you eat them, hard boiled?
    And what really bothers me, is what do you do with the 7 yolks, throw them out? It seems so wasteful. Can you really not just eat three eggs instead????

I totally agree with the wastefull part. But really the max egg whites I am able to eat are 4. It just gets too filling to eat. I think they are very concerned with the fat of the yolk and that's why they omit... I agree with you about the 3 eggs also.
    As for ideas... creme caramel? If you substitute the sugar with stevia it is pretty healthy and low carb.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What specifically is the 7 egg white breakfast supposed to accomplish? Higher protein intake? Because there are other, less wasteful ways to get more protein, like a powder. Isopure is supposed to be a good one. I suppose not eating the yolks is meant to spare you from all the cholesterol in egg yolks. Healthy people, with no cholesterol problems can have a yolk a day.

But if you eat the 7 whites hard boiled, perhaps save the cooked yolks to make egg salad for someone else? Do you know anyone who bakes a lot or makes custard? Save the raw yolks for them if you make an egg white omelet.
  • joyse
    joyse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think they suggest not eating 3 whole eggs every day because the egg yolk is loaded with cholesterol. If you're going to eat the whole egg, it's recommended that you not eat more than 3 or so a week. So, if you eat the egg whites, you get protein without as much cholesterol. It does seem wasteful though...not sure what you could do with the yolks.

I have to disagree. The recommended is not more than 3 egg yolks a day, not a week!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat the whole egg, it's recommended that you not eat more than 3 or so a week.

No. That's old, incorrect, and obsolete.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have 3 whole eggs a day with some skim milk and nonfat yogurt. Come at me bros.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of eating the whole egg.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My thought is that a carton of eggs is so cheap comparatively that tossing a few yolks isn't a big deal. If you're eating 8 eggs a day, you're going to be buying eggs in such bulk that it's only pennies.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Well if you have someone you live with to share the eggs with go for it. you could make mayo... I use the egg whites from the carton if i have to crack the egg i will eat the whole thing.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I eat two whole eggs every single day. I have lowered my bad cholesterol and raised my good in the last year by a very significant amount, though I can't remember the numbers off hand. My cholesterol is "perfect" according to my doctor. (So are all of my other numbers)

Actually, sometimes I eat three eggs. I eat one before I run 4 times a week.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I kind of really want to do what they say, you see it a lot in bodybuilding mags.

I think its always been a bit of a mystery to me, nothing to do with wasting money more just food waste .

And I think the mystery is solved. Buying egg white in cartons which is probably what they mean, I think this is an American thing not sure if you can buy it here in the UK or in other parts of the world.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What is it with this egg white thing? Eat the whole egg. It comes whole for a reason.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    www.twochicks.co.uk
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are calorie dense. Let's stop acting all holier than thou with this "egg whites?!?!?! pfffft!" Attitude. I eat eggs. I'll also eat egg whites when I don't feel like using that many calories on a yolk.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep - here's the math depending on the calorie chart you look at:

calories in the whites-only: 15
    calories in the whole egg: 100

Throw the yolks out - they are cheap. Who wants a FAT dog??