So you told me what you do.....

Options

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    So you've all told me what you've actually done for a living but now tell me what did you want to be when you grew up or still what do you want to be when you grow up??? :smile:

I wanted to be a TEACHER...

Then I learned that's just not my thing!!!

I wanted to be a teacher too...up until I did some student teaching and hated it! I wish I had the courage to admit it to myself sooner instead of being stuck with an English degree I can't use. Oh well, life is full of those kind of "lessons."
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I wanted to be a Solid Gold Dancer!! :glasses:

Actually, I think I still do!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Lawyer/Stand-Up Comedian when I was a kid, then a Journalist in high school.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I wanted to be a Solid Gold Dancer!! :glasses:

Actually, I think I still do!! :laugh: :laugh:

OMG my sister and i loved that show. We would dance around like that and remeber how they would slide across the stage on their sides...we would do that across the living room. Haha!!! Too funny!:laugh:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to be a hair stylist, which I was for about 6 years in a salon. Now I just do fmaily and firends hair. My hands got to be really terrible because of the contant hair washing and chemicals.

Then inspired by the people who work with my son (he has autism) I have worked as a para (teacher's assitant) in a classroom with kiddos with special needs. It can be hard and a long day but I love it. :love:
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a fighter pilot :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    trader
  • Inketydink
    Options
    I wanted to be a speech therapist for years. Then I got the chance to try it out... the fact that I just wanted to ignore the kids and go play the piano in the room next door made me realise that I couldn't do something that didn't involve music. Now I want to be an opera singer!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    After seeing Top Gun as a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot..LOL
  • michaelynj
    Options
    Help Desk Tech / Full Time College Student / Computer Lab Assistant
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remeber I wanted to be a nurse. Got accepted to a really good collage for that and never went. I have been a cna and a personal caregiver and I am really good at it but can't afford to not work full time so that I could go fet my nursing degree.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be an office manager. My dream came true! :huh:

I really always wanted to be a writer and a lead singer in a band. I still want to be a singer.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Certified Public Accountant.

But then I found somebody who paid me to drive fast.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    trader

is your name joe?
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Doctor...Ever since I got my first Fisher Price Stethoscope ** years ago. Then I found out my parents were too broke to send me to college, so joined the service and then after first child, decided to go to PA school instead. I love my career now.
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The first thing I ever remember wanting to be was a dental hygenist, grosses me out to imagine it now. Then I wanted to be an FBI agent, even majored in criminal justice in college, then thought better of it b/c I "did not inhale" ;)
    That's when I decided to minor in elementary ed and the rest is history!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a rally driver lol, I haven't even got my driving liecence lol
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a registered architect. I loved drawing houses and plans and etc. I had a Crayola Designer Kit with the little plastic T-square and a triangle when I was a kid. I reproduced the house plans in the back of my mom's Better Homes and Gardens magazines, to scale, with my Designer Kit. I was hooked....

I have two architectural degrees (Associates and Bachelor's), and I even did an architectural thesis.

After a few jobs as an architectural intern in a few different firms it became apparent to me that with my CAD skills and speed at drawing with the computer, I had been stuck in the CAD production "niche" in those firms and never got any more experience to learn or put towards my internship requirements or being prepared to take my licensing exam. I was good at CAD so my bosses "needed" me to draw and didn't have time to teach me what i needed to advance in my career path. Add to that my home life (married with young children) at the time didn't mesh with the necessity of working long hours and on weekends to get the necessary experience.

So I focused on CAD more. I now work at an engineering firm doing CAD, and I also own my own business doing CAD for other architects, interior designers, etc.

So, technically I'm an architect, but not licensed. I guess I got half way to my childhood dream. :(
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I always thought it would be cool to be a crime investigator...then I saw how it went for my uncle and changed my mind...

At one point I wanted to be a vet...but realized I could never put an animal down.

Before I went into college I was set on being a graphic designer...but I ended up going for all medical.

So my goal for my life is to be a RN...I will be one, eventually!
  • mikeomalley
    Options
    I wanted to be a race car driver. That dream lives on today. lol