What do I do now?

Options
Ok so I think its gotten to that time where I need to just take a step back, look at the progress ive made so far and decide where I go from here... before I start getting frustrated with everything (including the scale) and end up falling back into old habits.

I joined MFP in march weighing in at 179lbs and 5"7 (196 being my highest the year before). By mid may I was down to about 163-165lbs and that was done by pretty much sticking to a 1200 cal diet and not a whole lot of exercise, maybe the odd walk to and from college or on the treadmill/eliptical but no routine in particular. Now I knew I would be going to France for the month of June and July as part of my studies so I tried my hardest to get down to the 160 mark before I went...but to no avail. When I headed off to France I was 163lbs and terrified that I would end up piling back on the weight during the two months. So while I was there I tried my hardest not to go mad with the food.. and i suppose i didnt really, but I wasnt being very careful either, averaging on around 1500cals but still eating croissants, bread and crisps and the like. With regards exercise, we did walk everywhere (and most of it was uphill lol) but it wasnt anything too extreme.
So then I came home just over a week ago and I weigh in at roughly 154lbs! Im delighted and I love the fact that people really notice my weightloss now. Im more or less a size 12 (UK) which is originally what I said I would be happy at. And I am to an extent. Im also in a healthy BMI range now too. My original goal was to get down to 11 stone (154lbs) and now that im there im kinda lost as of what to do next!? I know there is definitely more weight I could lose and im now doing the 30DS, a little cycling and walking too, hoping I can tone up a bit....but im confused as to what sort of a goal I should be aiming for (initally i thought 150lbs but now im starting to think 140lbs????). I think im getting a bit frustrated trying to stick to 1200cals but im afraid if i up my cals il stop losing. The last few days ive started nibbling on the wrong foods and feeling so guilty afterwards and then running to the treadmill to try and burn the extra off but I know that wont work for much longer!
So after all that....im wondering should I ease back my cals to losing 1lb a week and just start enjoying the fact that ive lost a considerable amount of weight, and im much happier in myself and in my clothes.....OR do I keep going until I reach a goal weight, even though im getting so annoyed in myself when i dont see the scale moving?

I just dont want to end up giving in and I think I need to just appreciate the progress ive made instead of thinking I still havnt done enough yet! Any advice is greatly appreciated and apologies for the rant!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

So after all that....im wondering should I ease back my cals to losing 1lb a week and just start enjoying the fact that ive lost a considerable amount of weight, and im much happier in myself and in my clothes.....OR do I keep going until I reach a goal weight, even though im getting so annoyed in myself when i dont see the scale moving?

Here's the truth, and it's a good/bad type of thing. You're to a point where it's probably not realistic for you to lose a pound/week anymore. It's GOOD because it means you've lost a lot of weight and you're in a good place! It's bad because it's frustrating -- because now that you're here and wanting to lose more weight, you need to know that it's going to be slow.

If you want to continue losing weight, set your goals to lose 1/2 lbs per week. Also, you should start adding in some strength training. That becomes more crucial as you have less fat to lose. It will allow you to keep the lean muscle you have, which will prevent you from lowering your TDEE/BMR any further (making weight loss difficult), since your body will be burning off more fat than muscle.

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just dont want to end up giving in and I think I need to just appreciate the progress ive made instead of thinking I still havnt done enough yet! Any advice is greatly appreciated and apologies for the rant!

:flowerforyou:

I think this last sentence says it all. Just relax and get used to maintaining your new weight for a bit. Then, after a few weeks or even months, if you still think your need to lose more give that a try.
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think i'll set my cals to lose 1/2 lb to 1lb per week. I suppose I was stupid to think I could keep going at 2lb a week and that it would actually work! Id just end up getting more and more annoyed with myself and somewhere along the line id see myself slipping back into old ways... but Im just gonna make SURE that doesnt happen :D