How do you guys do it? (runners)

Options
I have tried running before and it has always been a very huge challenge for me. I can do it on the treadmill just fine but outside it feels like someone is holding a band around my waist making me heavier. What is a good way to start running? I want to try when it cools down because right now I've even had to eliminate my walks due to 100+ degree heat with heat indexes higher. Thanks for any input. I do have kind of sorta a bad ankle as well, so i can't just go full throttle.

Replies

• vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am a begginer in terms of running and found that the ONLY way I can run for any length of time is just to start really, really slow (I seriously jog at maybe 4.5 mph or so). Also find somewhere that's relatively flat so there's not a lot of hills to struggle through at first.

A friend of mine and I are training for a 5K and I've been doing the couch to 5K program with her - that seems to be pretty decent at gradually increasing running times. There's info at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml if you are interested.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started by doing C25K. I really liked it a lot.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks, I'll have to look in to it. I get shin splints easy too soo I'm not looking forward to that. I also smoke occasionally (<-- Spelling?? :huh: ) and I think that may be an issue even though it isn't with the rest of my workouts since it really isn't often that I do.
  • 6ftbeauty
    Options
    The one major thing you want to make sure you have is a an awesome pair of running shoes. Seriously running, or even not so serious runners, must have a great pair of shoes. A great pair of shoes isn't just based on the cost. You need to go to a running shoe store so they can fit you for a pair that is great for you. I used to get shin splints as well, until I found out I wasn't running in proper shoes. It made a huge different and now I've completed 2 Half Marathons. Thank God for a great pair of running shoes.

Another thing that will help is finding a running group to train with. It was hard for me to run by myself initially. I hated it. I started with a group and then eventually broke off on my own. It's extremely helpful.

I hope this helps!
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner before I met my fiance. I hated running. The longest distance I'd ever done was a mile in high school, and only because I had to, and I walked some of the way.

My fiance ran track and cross country as a kid. She hated it mostly, but she did it (her dad was a coach). We both wanted to get fit and she convinced me I could run.

We started very slow, with just one lap around the track (if possible) followed by walking a segment, then repeat a few times. We did that for a week, and then increased the running distance but not the walking distance. After a couple of weeks I was doing a mile, and soon that increased to 2-3 miles.

The best advice I can give you is to take it SLOW, don't worry about the pace. I had a 14-15 minute pace when I started, and I still run about an 11 minute pace on average. I had never been able to run before I met my fiance because I tried to run too fast and burned myself out. Oh, and I have not had shin splints since I met her either, and that was one of my major issues with running.

My second best advice is to find a running partner - it is really, really tough to motivate yourself to get that evening run in when you're already in pajamas and have a netflix movie in the queue...
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks, I'll have to look in to it. I get shin splints easy too soo I'm not looking forward to that. I also smoke occasionally (<-- Spelling?? :huh: ) and I think that may be an issue even though it isn't with the rest of my workouts since it really isn't often that I do.

Do you have flat feet? I have always had issues running because of shin splints until I did some research and found out that my lack of arches was what was causing the issues. They make "motion control" shoes to compensate for low arches and it has made a world of difference. No more shin splints for me :happy:

I just ran my first 5K this past Saturday and plan to run a 10K in September. I do most of my running on a tread mill but go outside from time to time to "practice". I have found that the biggest mistake I make is starting out too fast too soon. Then I get tired early and feel like a complete failure. I've found songs that are at the tempo I want to run and ALWAYS listen to them while outside running.

Good luck!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The one major thing you want to make sure you have is a an awesome pair of running shoes. Seriously running, or even not so serious runners, must have a great pair of shoes. A great pair of shoes isn't just based on the cost. You need to go to a running shoe store so they can fit you for a pair that is great for you. I used to get shin splints as well, until I found out I wasn't running in proper shoes. It made a huge different and now I've completed 2 Half Marathons. Thank God for a great pair of running shoes.

I second the good running shoes! They will cure your shin splints.. and of course, good running form.
    And I also second the c25k program. I hated running before I started that program, and now I'm training for a half marathon. Of course, I don't smoke so I'm not sure how much of a hindrance that'll be to you. If you get serious about running, it'll probably start to slow you down/make it a LOT harder (might by why it's hard for you to run outside).
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I hate treadmills. I feel I get a much better work out running outside. With that said, you might feel like you are having to work hard outside because of (1) the impact from the hard cement, (2) the changing incline of the natural world, or (3) the temperature of being outside.

You can try running at a local school. I did this to train for my half marathon because I needed to run uninterrupted. With cars on the street, they tend to get in my way. But the track at the school is “softer” and easier on your joints and feet than the street or cement sidewalks.

The incline can affect you more than you think, even if you don’t see the fact you are running slightly uphill. I personally love it. I usually find areas where there is a decent incline for a long distance. It gets my heart rate up and make it feel like you are working harder (because you are). But I notice it right away when the incline starts to level off. Suddenly it is easier and my heart rate drops.

And of course weather conditions can really make things harder. I would not recommend running outside when it is 100+. Try running first thing in the morning or late at night. I know when I run in the mornings and it is 60 outside, I can run further and faster than when I run after work and it is 90+ outside.

Also when you are running, keep it at a slower but sustainable pace. You should be able to hold a normal conversation when running. If you find you can’t complete a sentence without having to gasp for air, you are running to hard. Slow down. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k. Love it!

For me, at first, running outside vs a treadmill *seemed* harder, but I was actually running much faster. Once I realized that I did better outside - that it felt harder because I was doing more - I started to love running outside.

Now I can't stand running on the treadmill. It just feels weird.
  • fakeplastictree
    Options
    I hate treadmills. I feel I get a much better work out running outside. With that said, you might feel like you are having to work hard outside because of (1) the impact from the hard cement, (2) the changing incline of the natural world, or (3) the temperature of being outside.

You can try running at a local school. I did this to train for my half marathon because I needed to run uninterrupted. With cars on the street, they tend to get in my way. But the track at the school is “softer” and easier on your joints and feet than the street or cement sidewalks.

The incline can affect you more than you think, even if you don’t see the fact you are running slightly uphill. I personally love it. I usually find areas where there is a decent incline for a long distance. It gets my heart rate up and make it feel like you are working harder (because you are). But I notice it right away when the incline starts to level off. Suddenly it is easier and my heart rate drops.

And of course weather conditions can really make things harder. I would not recommend running outside when it is 100+. Try running first thing in the morning or late at night. I know when I run in the mornings and it is 60 outside, I can run further and faster than when I run after work and it is 90+ outside.

Also when you are running, keep it at a slower but sustainable pace. You should be able to hold a normal conversation when running. If you find you can’t complete a sentence without having to gasp for air, you are running to hard. Slow down. Good luck!

At a school? Do you have to get permission? I always wondered how people ran there. I also am very limited on when and where I can run, due to my limitations I ususally walk on my lunch break and have to exercise at 9pm at my home with a dvd. Running I'm hoping to start, but I'll have to wake up at 5am, drive 12 miles to run then drive back home to shower and get ready to drive 45 miles to work. :sad:
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I began running about 4 years ago. I hadn't run since college so I definitely was not in shape for it. The best thing to do is start really slow. Aim to go a half mile walking and running mixed, then work up to running a half mile/walking a half mile, then running a full mile. After that add little goals. I also find that training for a race really motivates me-there are tons of 5Ks that are easy and usually support local causes. I ran my first full marathon in May and it was the best feeling. Take your time and build up slowly. There are also ankle braces (soft and flexible) that you can use. Drink lots of water too, it makes a big difference when you run. Just get out there and do it for you, compete with yourself and you'll do great!!! Good luck and welcome to the runner's club.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was running at a 1% incline on the treadmill. it got my body prepared for those subtle changes in terrain that you come across running even the most flat path you can find.

Definintely try running slower. Something my running buddy taught me is to keep your feet under your body in order to take a shorter stride. Don't try to sprint like an expert right off the bat, you'll run out of wind and energy really quickly.

Speaking of wind, regulating your breating helps a lot too. I do square breathing - inhale on two strides, exhale on two strides. Sometimes I start out with 2 strides on the inhale and 3 on the exhale if I feel like I'm not getting enough air. Also, when I've been going for a while and feel like I'm losing pace on my breathing, I exhale sharply to really empty my lungs and that helps a lot.

Also, keep your arms, hands and shoulders as relaxed as possible. Tensing up will make it harder to breathe and use up a lot of energy for no purpose.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I recently read that people think running outside is harder because the speed is not controlled and they're actually running faster than they would on a treadmill.

Most high schools allow the community to use the track when there's no sports practices going on. The track at our high school is made of rubber and although it's easier on the body because it absorbs some of the shock I also feel that because it absorbs that energy it feels harder to run than on the street, sidewalk or treadmill.
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you have a treadmill or access to one, try the C25K program on it. That's how I got into running. I've never been a runner. I tried it 20 years ago and got horrible pain in my shins and stopped. But this program eases you into it and lets you go at your own pace. If you have to repeat a day or a week, then that's OK. If you have to slow your pace down to finish something, that's OK too. Increased speed/pace can come later, if you want it to.

OR, maybe try outside but on a school's track. Or even in a public park as many of those have some sort of measured walking/running path, and they're usually relatively flat. You could even find an empty parking lot somewhere and run around the perimeter. Anywhere outside but flat(ish) would build you up, too.

Once you get your body used to running, either C25K on a treadmill, or outside on a flat surface, you'll be ready to hit more hilly terrain.

Again, don't worry about speed/pace. Go with what YOUR body can handle. And don't forget to take a day of rest in between running workouts to give your body time to recover.

good luck!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fakeplastictree
    Options
    Recommend shoe type??? I have Saucony.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks and love them. I am doing C25K (week 2) and run outside with it. I prefer treadmill running anyday over outdoor running. I run outside because I figure it's where I am going to have to complete my 5K, plus it's nice out. I am slowly "enjoying" running.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running but did it because I thought I should. Now I love it and do it because of how it makes me feel.

Definitely agree with trying the couch-to-5K program and making sure you're not trying to run too fast outside.

As for shoes, I had a great pair of Saucony shoes that I loved, and I just got a new pair of Asics. They have some styles that are pretty cheap. Go to a running store and get fitted, then go online and buy them much cheaper. I wear an 11.5, which most stores don't carry anyway, and I got my pair for $40 versus $85 at Lady Foot Locker.

Good luck, and have fun running!!! :)
  • 6ftbeauty
    Options
    I run in Asics, but again remember everyone has different needs when it comes to running shoes. Stay away from the cute Nike's or cute Adidas shoes. They look great, but will kill your run. Go to a running store (not just a sports store) and have them fit you for the right shoe for you. The best places will put you on a treadmill, film you running and then evaluate you. They are pro's... this what they do. You'll be so thankful for finding a great pair for shoes!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K and loving it. It starts you off very slowly and gives you some structure to follow. I tend to push myself to hard and then when I can't do as much as I'm trying to do I get frustrated and may even give up. But I've been doing C25K for 7 weeks and still going strong! Everytime I finish a run I feel like I've accomplished something.