Veggies....UGH!!!

Options
salmat77
salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
Anyone have any ideas on how to get my vegetables in during the day?? I am not much for raw veggies either...:frown:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What veg do you like? What ones don't you like? Is it the taste, texture, or something else?
  • hotwow
    hotwow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you have a juicer you can get all your fruits and veggies in one drink at one time :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I take veggies to work and put them in my work fridge so that I can eat them for my snacks. Pick veggies that you like to eat. Lots of good options out there.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Miracle Greens, Amazing Grass Chocolate, google them or go on Amazon.com for a kick start to introducing greens (wheat grass!!) into your diet in little ways until you can get the real stuff into your diet.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE an egg white omelet packed with veggie!!!!

I spray a pan with cooking spray, and toss in mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach....and when they are tender, I put them in a 2 egg white omelet.....SOOOOO GOOOD!!

Or, sauteed spinach is DELISH by itself...with a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of garlic powder :)
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can also steam them. mmmmmmmmm!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    green smoothies. full of kale, spinach, chard or collards... choose one or two and put a couple handfuls in with almond milk, dark cherries, blueberries, peaches, pineapple...

basic recipe for 2 pints (2 servings), around 150-175c each

about a cup of greens
    1.25c almond, soy or coconut milk (easy on the soy, if you eat a lot of it, it can overload estrogen levels - i prefer almond milk, myself)
    1 banana
    1.25c frozen fruit (mixture of whatever you like)

gulp gulp gulp! delicious and nutritious.

you can get extra fancy, too, using things like nori, blue algae, hemp protein, etc. be creative, but get your greens in!

minor note:

THIS DOES NOT REPLACE A MEAL; it is a nutritious thing to drink. it should not be your ONLY source of greens, but an addendum to your daily intake.

enjoy!
  • salmat77
    Options
    I like the following veggies:

Corn
    Potatoes
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green Peppers, Red Peppers....
    Onions
    Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Avacados
    Baby Spinach
    Tomatoes

I would rather not eat them raw though and I struggle to find ways to make them fit into my meals...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Grilling veggies add great flavor!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'd say - try different veggies - try them raw & cooked - with dip (hummus is good) & diff seasonings. Keep TRYING veggies until you find some you like. If you've grown up NOT eating veggies, it would be an 'acquired' taste. You're going to have to LEARN to like them. Deal with it. Veggies are GOOD for your body
    In the meantime, V8? add veggies to recipes (like spaghetti sauce, you can sneak A LOT of veggies in there)
    try them grilled? I could eat my weight in grilled veggies, esp asparagus
    My son used to dip his green beans in ketchup, like french fries. Dr said it was ok - that's TWO veggies =D
    JUST EAT THEM
  • salmat77
    Options

I spray a pan with cooking spray, and toss in mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach....and when they are tender, I put them in a 2 egg white omelet.....SOOOOO GOOOD!!

Or, sauteed spinach is DELISH by itself...with a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of garlic powder :)

Fresh Spinach or frozen??? Sounds yummy
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie person either - the only thing I eat is salad: 1/2 iceberg lettuce; 1/2 baby spinach; onion; shredded carrots; peppers; and tomatos. I use low cal/low fat dressings and have a pretty good size one 2x per day. Its boring but at least I get some in.

Maybe find something you do like and just stick with it?
  • llc6169
    llc6169 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am taking Garden 7 by Herbalife! It provides the equivalent of 7 servings of fruits and veggies. I hate all fruits and only like a few veggies and none of them raw. GAG!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i make a dip out of light sour cream and powdered ranch. I eat that with bell peppers and carrots. Grilled veggies are amazing as well.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I like the following veggies:

Corn
    Potatoes
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green Peppers, Red Peppers....
    Onions
    Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Avacados
    Baby Spinach
    Tomatoes

I would rather not eat them raw though and I struggle to find ways to make them fit into my meals...

When I make dinner, I always try to make lots of extra veggies so that I have some to pack in my lunch too. You don't have to eat them raw! Roast, steam, grill... add them on salads, into pastas, etc. I just eat a big pile of cooked veggies as a side dish.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options

Fresh Spinach or frozen??? Sounds yummy

I've only ever used fresh spinach...its SOOOOO delish!!!
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Make any kind of smoothie and add one cup of spinach...,my sister swears by it
  • salmat77
    Options
    Grilling veggies add great flavor!

What type of seasoning do you use when you grill them??
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Stir fried veg are the biz! Finely chopped onion, sliced mushroom, diced peppers (any colour), with garlic or herbs or soy sauce....
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Make any kind of smoothie and add one cup of spinach...,my sister swears by it

Yup! You wont even taste the spinach!