Can you eat salads everyday.

Options
Just curious can you eat salads everyday? Seriously...Is that good or bad?

Lately I've been eating alot more salads some with protein some without. How long will it take before I just start sustaining the weight instead of losing it.

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ooh. I'd like to know the answer to this, too. I just started a couple weeks ago on MFP and eating a massive amount of salads. I do add chicken or tuna a lot of the times - not always - but I was wondering the same thing: is too much of a good thing a bad thing?

Thanks for any help. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    you can eat salads every day. careful with high calories dressings.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i eat a spinach salad every day for an afternoon snack and I think its fine
    its the dressing that you have to worry about not the salad itself
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I dont see how it can be bad, unless you are using a pound of cheese and a cup of ranch everyday.

Greens are good for you!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I try to have a salad at every meal...yes, even breakfast! Trust me, you can never overdose on greens. People don't seem to have an issue eating fried starch at every meal (hash browns, french fries, etc.), but seem weirded out at eating healthy. I promise you, nothing bad will happen from eating a salad!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I try to eat one most days because greens are so good for you!
  • knelson827
    knelson827 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    no
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat a big salad almost every day for lunch. It always has a protein in it (chicken, tuna, lean beef, cheese, etc.) and I try to vary the other ingredients with things like avocados, zucchini, chick peas, peppers, olives, etc. on top of the standard lettuce/tomatoes/cucumbers. Variety is always good.

But in general, if your salads are made with good healthy raw veggies, there is nothing wrong with them. More natural unprocessed food is always a good thing. Stick to your recommended calorie intake, and eat healthy foods and you will lose weight.
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It's funny you ask this because I have started eating at least 2 salads a day, some with protein and some without. I was wondering if it was too much as well. From what everyone is saying, it's only bad if you dress it the wrong way so let's keep it up! :o)
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You can eat a salad with every meal - it's super healthy. But - as poster earlier said... beware of high fat / high calorie dressings. I like just using Balsamic Vinegar without any oil... low cal, gives salad a zing, and works for me.

Most Americans don't eat anywhere NEAR the right amount of salad vegetables... not to mention dark leafy greens.

Eat to your heart's content!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For the past couple of months I've had a salad every workday for lunch (I'm in a CSA and have been getting insane amounts of veggies). Like the others said it's not the veggies themselves that will get you in trouble, but all the toppings. So if you must have diced meat, cheese, croutons, beans, etc., make sure you measure each serving so you don't go overboard. Also stick with the low-cal dressings. Ken's Steakhouse brand especially has some delicious light dressings.
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    "Salad" is a huge category. A dish that consists primarily of leafy greens every day? Sure.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Green salads? Everyone else is saying be careful of the high calorie dressings, I'm gonna go the other route (always the contrarian...) Don't be overly reliant on eating ONLY green salads, as the calorie count is so low generally speaking (those bag salads at the grocery store for example tend to be under 100 calories per bag (4 servings)) that if you only eat plain salads, there's no way you'd be eating enough calories for the day. Salads make fantastic sides or appetizers, but be careful when you eat them as full meals, make sure you aren't shortchanging yourself on calories, which can sabotage weight loss just as much as overeating.
  • thomlessard
    thomlessard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even if you use fatty dressings with each salad, the health benefits from eating raw and natural veggies more than outweighs the extra calories - which unless you drench your salad, really isn't that bad. Apply a singe serving of the dressing and use the shake technique to evenly distribute. If you need dressing to help you eat a salad everyday, use it. It is also the best idea to not ONLY eat green salads. You want the different nutrients that you can get from other colored veggies such as carrots and red/yellow peppers.
    The only way eating a salad every day can be bad for you is if it is all you eat. You need to balance your diet and although the food pyramid appears to be outdated these days, it certainly can help you balance what your body needs to be healthy.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    yes
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I ate a salad
  • metalesq
    Options
    I sure hope so. That's the plan on my end.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You can eat salads with every meal, including breakfast!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    you could eat salad everyday but it would get pretty boring!