What are some no/low calorie seasonings/spices, etc.?

Options
I'm really new to cooking and I don't know any no/low calorie things to make my food taste better!
Thanks

Replies

• soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper is my go to one! I dont know about calories in it, id assume not much, but people also say it helps boost metabolism, though i dont know how true that is
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Most spices are salt free. I picked up no salt organic seasoning from Costco last month it is good.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about calories in seasonings as I believe due to the limited amount you use in a dish would be very near zero -- unless you are counting mayo as a seasoning :-)
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love all the Mrs. Dash blends - they are sodium and MSG free and oh so tasty!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Most spices are salt free. I picked up no salt organic seasoning from Costco last month it is good.

I use this ALL the time :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Keep some salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, thyme, and oregano on hand. They're very versatile.

When in doubt, do as the greeks do: salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs.Dash all the time, as well as black pepper, oregano, and parsley. I use buffalo sauce too but you have to really watch the sodium in it so use it a little at a time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Granulated garlic and onion are a staple in my house, as is Tellicherry black pepper we keep in a pepper grinder. I've also been known to use dried and fresh basil, rosemary, dill, thyme, etc.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Mrs. Dash, pepper, paprika, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Keep some salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, thyme, and oregano on hand. They're very versatile.

When in doubt, do as the greeks do: salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder.

Agreed. You can't go wrong with a "s.p.o.g" combo, especially if you add some lemon!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Also, I bought some tube herbs at the market the other day- basil and cilantro and ginger (no calories) and I have enjoyed cookin with those. Not as potent as dried herbs, or the real thing, but nice to keep on hand. The ginger and lemongrass were, for me, the best of the few I bought.

http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/product/view/Basil
  • TrachelleB
    TrachelleB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spike Seasoning is great on veggies, both raw and cooked. Moroccan Rub from Pampered Chef is awesome on fish, mushrooms, and chicken. Grillmasters Applewood Rub is FANTASTIC on Chicken, especially when you let the seasoning marrinate for a few hours.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love all the Mrs. Dash blends - they are sodium and MSG free and oh so tasty!

^^ I agree with this...
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I really like McCormick's Garlic & Herb Salt-Free Seasoning.