Fan and working out

Options
I noticed when I'm on my treadmill with the fam blowing on me I can go longer and not as tired. Yesterday I tried to run without the fan and I have to say I was tired.

The treadmill says I'm buring the same calories with the fan on or off.

What do you think?

Replies

• romajr86
    Options
    The treadmill doesn't know whether or not you have a fan blowing on you, so if you run the same distance and speed it should say the same amount of calories with the fan on or off.

The fan probably does help you a little bit, keeping you cooler and maybe less fatigued. It also may be slightly mental, knowing you don't have that cool fan blowing on you, you get hotter and sweat quicker which you're not used to. Make sense?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Keeping cool and hydrated so you can work out harder/longer makes sense.

Chuckle to yourself at the idiots with empty stomachs and wearing sweatsuits.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keeping cool and hydrated so you can work out harder/longer makes sense.

Chuckle to yourself at the idiots with empty stomachs and wearing sweatsuits.

Well said. Love it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The rushing wind from the fan causes you body to think you are running faster, which in turn burns more calories. To increase the burn even more, set your radio behind you playing the sound of a ferocious barking dog or maybe a police siren.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The rushing wind from the fan causes you body to think you are running faster, which in turn burns more calories. To increase the burn even more, set your radio behind you playing the sound of a ferocious barking dog or maybe a police siren.

Brilliant.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can definitely go for longer and feel less tired when I have a fan blowing when I work out indoors. Outside running or on a bike, you get the wind generated by your passage to help cool you down. Inside on a treadmill or a stationary bike, you're staying in the same place, so the wind generated by the fan definitely helps quite a bit.
  • Blessed917
    Blessed917 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks and yeah I don't sweat when the fan is on but let it be off and after about 10 minutes I'm sweating.
  • TrotterHelen
    TrotterHelen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was using a personal trainer, she never let me use the fan until I was super red in the face & begged for mercy.....not sure what her reasoning was. At the time, my body didn't sweat very easily. Maybe she was trying to get me to sweat..... ???

I found this online: "If it’s an option, point a fan at the treadmill. Otherwise it’ll be a very hot run. When you run, you radiate body heat to the surrounding environment. Outside, you continuously run away from this heated air (unless there’s a tailwind blowing it back on you). On the treadmill, you’re stuck running in a bubble of your own body heat unless there’s a fan to blow it away. A ceiling fan is ideal because it will circulate the air without giving you a gait changing sustained wind on one side of your body."
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could work out without the fan, especially on the treadmill.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Id be screwed without my ceiling fan above my treadmill.. It helps me so much.. And I still sweat my booty off!
  • Blessed917
    Options
    When I was using a personal trainer, she never let me use the fan until I was super red in the face & begged for mercy.....not sure what her reasoning was. At the time, my body didn't sweat very easily. Maybe she was trying to get me to sweat..... ???

I found this online: "If it’s an option, point a fan at the treadmill. Otherwise it’ll be a very hot run. When you run, you radiate body heat to the surrounding environment. Outside, you continuously run away from this heated air (unless there’s a tailwind blowing it back on you). On the treadmill, you’re stuck running in a bubble of your own body heat unless there’s a fan to blow it away. A ceiling fan is ideal because it will circulate the air without giving you a gait changing sustained wind on one side of your body."
  • Blessed917
    Options
    thanks