More Water = More Weight Loss

How does it work, if it works?? I keep getting told to drink more water and I am...but don't fully understand how it works?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The more water you drink, and the less salt you ingest, the less water you retain. So you can lose weight drinking water, but it is just water weight, not fat loss. But water is good for you and helps your body work optimally, so you should drink a lot anyway, regardless if you are trying to lose weight or not.
  • Knny79
    Knny79 Posts: 3
    I follow the drink when your thirsty rule. Since I really only drink water, it works for me. There are differing opinions on how many glasses a day, but I've read where that could be a bit of marlarkey. Humans survived for millions of years and still in someplaces of the world today with 8 bottles of Dasani. =P
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I follow the drink when your thirsty rule. Since I really only drink water, it works for me. There are differing opinions on how many glasses a day, but I've read where that could be a bit of marlarkey. Humans survived for millions of years and still in someplaces of the world today with 8 bottles of Dasani. =P

This may work for you but by the time you are thirsty you are already partly dehydrated, which is why your body is sending you thirst signals. It is best to drink enough so you don't get thirsty.

For those that could not get enough water, their bodies would store water (water retention) as the body is not sure when the next drink is coming.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    It is true. I lose more weight when I drink alot of water because it keeps my salt intake under controle, and it keeps me from retaining water.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    I think it's mostly psychological. Drinking more water flushes more sodium out of your body, which helps prevent water retention. Water retention adds pounds (of water, not fat) to the scale and that discourages those of weak resolve.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    It is true. I lose more weight when I drink alot of water because it keeps my salt intake under controle, and it keeps me from retaining water.

Agree
  • shassen
    shassen Posts: 16 Member
    By drinking more water, you force your metabolism to keep running constantly throughout the day. This means that you are burning more calories during the day as opposed to consuming smaller amounts of water. Also when you don't drink enough water your body holds onto most of the water that you consume. If you keep drinking water, your body will shed that extra water weight because your keeping yourself hydrated. So, the more water you drink, the less water weight you hold, and the better you feel :) the fact that water fills you up and keeps you full when your hungry is a nice bonus as well..
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I look at it as oil for your car engine. It won't increase performance. You can "function" on lower than recomended levels. But in order for everything to sustainably work properly, it needs to be at a normal level.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member

This may work for you but by the time you are thirsty you are already partly dehydrated, which is why your body is sending you thirst signals. It is best to drink enough so you don't get thirsty.

For those that could not get enough water, their bodies would store water (water retention) as the body is not sure when the next drink is coming.
    That is exactly right. By the time you feel thirsty that is your bodys way of screaming at you for hydration
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Water is of the Devil, just like the scale. But you need them both. Drink, Drink, then Drink some more.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    You need to be very careful if your drinking too much and taking in too little sodium as this can cause Hyponatremia. Be balanced, sip on water throughout the day and if you are drinking more than 2 litres a day you may want to watch your sodium intake.

Your body actually needs sodium, so don't cut it out completley, use it in moderation!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    This works for other fluids too -- not just plain water -- as long as they don't contain a bunch of salt or sugar.
    I almost never drink plain water but I still drink at least 80oz of fluid a day from protein shakes to decaf coffee to crystal light naturals (not artifical sweetener) to things like diet v8 splash, almond milk etc.

If the drink has calories, I also include it in my diary as well as adding it to my cups of water.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    I think it's mostly psychological. Drinking more water flushes more sodium out of your body, which helps prevent water retention. Water retention adds pounds (of water, not fat) to the scale and that discourages those of weak resolve.

New England Medical Journal has been working on a series of articles that talks about proper water consumption helps the liver and kidneys function better - the liver helps control fat burn as an energy source so they believe there may actually be a more direct link to fat burning with optimum water conumption

keep in mind it is still in the discussion stages (not sure what "testing" has been done yet) - thought that was interesting though :)
  • It's not only about salt intake, your body needs water and when it's not getting enough on a regular schedule it holds onto it. If you drink your recommended amount every day, you're body will trust that enough water will be there regularly and it will release what it's been hanging on to. I also agree with not waiting till you're thirsty to drink as people's body signals often confuse thirst for hunger and by the time you feel thirsty you're too low on the h20.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    This works for other fluids too -- not just plain water -- as long as they don't contain a bunch of salt or sugar.
    I almost never drink plain water but I still drink at least 80oz of fluid a day from protein shakes to decaf coffee to crystal light naturals (not artifical sweetener) to things like diet v8 splash, almond milk etc.

If the drink has calories, I also include it in my diary as well as adding it to my cups of water.

My nutritionist has me doing the same thing! She says the excess plain water everyone is drinking is actually very harmful as they don't take into account everything else they drink! She said the only thing worse is the people who drink sports drinks all day long!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Alot of ppl are correct on here :) You need water after all your body is something around 60-70% water and therefore needs the water to function normally in tasks you dont even think about such as aiding in digestion and other organs functions. Plus it helps to flush out bad toxins and sodium of course. It will give you clearer skin to drink more water :) Think of a plant it needs water to survive and when it doesn't get enough it starts to wilt and look dull. Give it the right amount and watch it thrive shine and grow :D
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Keeps your organs hydrated so they can work properly. Helps keep you feeling fuller. It has helped my skin look brighter. Has helped my digestion some. I feel more energized now that I'm drinking about 64 oz a day
  • If you get in the habit of having a glass of water when you think you might be hungry (but are often just thirsty) it will cut back on your calories too! And probably delay actual hunger a bit too cuz your stomach has something in it.