Help - New shoes needed and so many to choose

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
MFP Members - I need some help . . .

I currently have an old pair of Nike cross-trainers and it's finally time for some new sneakers/shoes. I do most of my cardio on an elliptical (35 minutes) and just started a Spinning class. I also have a strength-fitness routine, but its mostly light weights (under 30#) for now.

Currently, after about 20 minutes on the ellipitical, my toes get numb and I adjust my feet to take care of that. I do notice that most of my weight is placed on the front portion of my foot (forward of the arch) when I'm on the machine.

Any suggestions on a good pair of shoes ??? I am also on a budget, so the sky is defintely not the limit.

Thanks -

Mark

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store and get fitted. It's really not a decision you should make on your own.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    You need a professional at a running stor to determine your shoe by your arch, strike pattern, and foot shape.
  • kelseywray
    Options
    I love New Balance. They aren't too expensive and I often find mine on sale on their website. They have shoes for every active person. Right now I'm wearing their rock n tone but I find that they aren't the best for the elliptical. I prefer their cross trainers when I work out on machines but the rock n tones are awesome for walks outside. If you are mainly an elliptical person I would look into their cross trainers. Check their website and then find them at a store so you can try them on and make sure you like them. I usually make a list of the ones I'm interested in and then head to their store.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Most of the good shoe stores have someone who can really fit you right --- I was shocked at what size I actually SHOULD be wearing when I got fitted to do a 60 mile walk last year.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree, go and get fitted. I am knock-kneed and have flat fat feet and they found a pair of shoes that are PERFECT for me. They made me run around the store to see how my stride was and how my foot landed and where I put my weight first. Best thing I ever did for shoes!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    MFP Members - I need some help . . .

I currently have an old pair of Nike cross-trainers and it's finally time for some new sneakers/shoes. I do most of my cardio on an elliptical (35 minutes) and just started a Spinning class. I also have a strength-fitness routine, but its mostly light weights (under 30#) for now.

Currently, after about 20 minutes on the ellipitical, my toes get numb and I adjust my feet to take care of that. I do notice that most of my weight is placed on the front portion of my foot (forward of the arch) when I'm on the machine.

Any suggestions on a good pair of shoes ??? I am also on a budget, so the sky is defintely not the limit.

Thanks -

Mark

While I don't disagree with going to a running store - be careful which one you pick - I actually suggest going to a foot doc and ask them - I LOVE New Balance and most podiatrists will suggest those lines of shoes...
    If, however; you do NOT have a wide foot, New Balance might not be the correct shoe for you (as they all tend to run a little wide), but I need to replace mine because my feet are starting to go numb again (same area as yours) bro...

Signed,
    Your Bro :)
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a pair of Saucony Kinvara II. They are the most comfortable running shoes I have ever worn.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I love how people are so full of themselves, they only read the post title before they bless us with their wisdom
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Well my foot doctor says that the best shoes for your feet are either New Balance or Asics. I do not love Asics they hurt my feet but New Balance are the best. I just nbought another pair 2 days ago during tax free weekend. I got their cross trainers which are a 506. I wore them 13 hours the first day and my feet did really good. I pretty much only do the wlliptical as well. I do an hour and I always wear new Balance and my feet do well. Good luck with your choice.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love how people are so full of themselves, they only read the post title before they bless us with their wisdom

Agreed...If you are looking for shoes to cross-train, a running shoe is not what you are looking for. Under Armor makes some good cross trainers and so do Asics. Even though I use Vibram Five Fingers, great arch support and absolutely love cross training in them.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the input and advice so far . . . Can't wait to see what comes later.

*Please be nice/kind to each-other . . . we're all on the same path to better health, fitness and living ... we don't need anymore "bumps" along the road !!!
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have adidas...adiprene climacool for indoors and adistar2 for outdoors. I also have Nike musique for Zumba..but that wasn't on your list of activities..:)

I went to the adidas outlet for my shoes because of price. While they are not fitted exactly for me, the seem to work well. Good luck with your shoe hunt...and continued success with your weightloss/fitness journey.