Vacation Question

Options
Since this is the Chit-chat section, I hope it's okay for me to ask this here:

My g/f and I are planning to go to Colorado for vacation in late November/early December. I've never been and I don't really want to stay in a hotel, I'd like something more cabin-ish or a bed & breakfast type setting. We'll be flying in to Denver and plan to go see the Rockies as well as Pike's Peak - so the location I would prefer is something central, but I'm not ruling out anything that might be in northern/southern Colorado.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to stay/websites to check out, I'd really appreciate it!! :glasses:

Replies

• calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just got back from CO last week - we go every 3 years to visit friends. So, we normally stay with our friends, so no real help on accomodations, but:

Denver airport is great - easy/in out. Pike's Peak area is beautiful & one of our favorite areas. You would head south towards Colorado Springs - maybe an hour S of Denver at most. Drive or take the train to the top of Pike's Peak. Cave of the Winds is nearby for a cave tour. Garden of the Gods is a must see - drive through, stop, climb on rocks, go to the visitors center for a gorgeous view. Air Force Academy is there if you want to check it out. The town just between Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods is Manitou Springs - absolutely adorable. There are B&Bs there, but top dollar. For B&Bs, I recommend www.bedandbreakfast.com.

For Colorado in general, go to the Colorado tourism board website for a CO tourism book & map.

Now, the Rockies - the entry to the Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is at Estes Park - about 90 min NORTH of the airport - so the complete opposite way from Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak area. The famous hotel from The Shining is there - right behind a gas station - LOL. You can just do a drive through the park, getting out at the photo stops, or you can get out and hike around. You can stay in Estes Park if you want to go in/out of the park a few times.

If you drive straight through the park, past the visitors center and all, you will eventually head south thru the mountains again, going past Winter Park. It's a lovely drive, but long. There are switchbacks S of WInter Park that take a much longer time to drive through than you would think.

Canon City is closer to Pikes Peak area - you could go to see the Royal Gorge, which is quite pretty as well.

One of our favorites is Steamboat Springs, but it's about 3.5 hours from Denver & not so close to any of those other things.

Have fun!
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    That's some great information. Thanks a bunch, I'm def gonna check out that site. :) Also, I did order a Colorado Visitor's guide online, which I'm sure will have lots of good info too.

Another question I have is, if I want to go skiing/snowboarding, which I've NEVER done, does anyone know if those ski resort places let you just try skiing/snowboarding without having a teacher/actual lesson? I'd like to just rent some equipment and try it out, see what it's like, obviously nothing crazy like getting on a hill or mountain. I'm from Texas, so I wouldn't wanna break anything or kill myself....

I looked at a couple ski resort places, but it seems like they only offer season ski passes or you have to take lessons. :indifferent:
  • calimari
    Options
    I'm not a skiier, so I can't help you there. My niece, however, works as a vacation coordinator for Vail Resorts. I stopped in to see her when I was out there last week & she tells me she does all sorts of vacation planning for people, helping them pick which resort will suit them the best, etc. She is an avid snowboarder - I would imagine if you called Vail Resorts they could probably answer questions like that.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Check out Evergreen. I grew up there and it is a beautiful little town. They have cute cabin type places to stay there. It is only about a half hour away from Denver and is in the foothills of the mountains. Idaho Springs has places to stay too which is in further from the city but in my opinion it is kind of a skanky little town.

If you want to stay near the Springs (Colorado Springs) check out Manitou Springs. It is a lovely little tourist town right in Colorado Springs. There are tons of things to see and do down there. Look at Seven Falls, Garden of the Gods, etc.

You can ski or board anywhere without a lesson but I wouldn't recommend it. Also look to rent equipment somewhere other than the resorts. You can get much cheaper prices if you rent somewhere in town. Ski Cooper is a great little ski resort lacking big lines and it has plenty of easier runs.

Message me if you want. I'm kind of an insider :wink:
  • calimari
    Options
    Evergreen is really cute. I stay w/ my friends in suburban Lakewood, but it's a great jumping off point, right near Red Rocks amphitheatre.

I always thought Idaho Springs was pretty low rent, but they have fixed up their downtown pretty nicely. We had dinner there at Tommyknockers & at BeauJo's last time.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    not too sure about places to stay, but ive been skiing since i was a kid, and just started snowboarding a few years ago, and although most mountains you can just rent out equipment, i would really recommend getting a lesson just to get you started. you will learn the right way and in a safe environment so you dont break any bones!
  • calimari
    Options
    I asked my niece at Vail resorts your question. Her reply:

Your friend would need to purchase a lift ticket (not a season pass, but still pretty pricey) to gain any kind of mountain access if they'd like to try out skiing. I don't think lessons are really required anywhere, but to get out on the snow they'd need a lift ticket. One way people get around this at Keystone, at least last season, was that we typically give out a "free day of arrival night ski" when they book their lodging with us. This way people can get out on the mountain without paying for a night pass, and when there's still plenty of light out, it's not too late/cold/etc.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im not going to be a lot of help but just wanted to say that my favorite vacation ever was Estes Park, CO. I would LOVE to go back again. Its amazingly beautiful. Being in those mountains was zen. We stayed at a YMCA camp sort of thing which was no where near nice. lol. But we just slept there so it was no big deal.
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    Calimari, please tell your niece thanks for the info. :)

And Juliecat1, I never thought of staying at a YMCA camp, but that's definitely something I'll look into. I don't need anything super fancy or nice, because like you said, we're basically just gonna sleep there.

I'm so excited for this trip! I can't wait to get more of it planned out.