Cliff bar

Options
So they were on sale at Wal-Mart. A box of 6 for $5. I bought 4 boxes. When i looked at the nutritional info, it doesnt look that good. Lots of Carbs. What makes them better than an average candy bar?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    They're not exactly health food, but for "emergencies" they're better than nothing.

They contain considerably more protein and less fat than a candy bar.
    The carbs consist of mostly fruit and unrefined sugars, and sometimes oats; whereas a candy bar would typically contain refined sugar.

Also: pants
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I only use them on my long training rides 2+ hours for energy on the road. Other than that I never use them.
  • mamayoga
    mamayoga Posts: 43
    Options
    I agree. Calorically, It's not really a snack, but more like an entire meal. The fiber and protein would help keep you full, if used like a "meal replacement bar". They have vitamins & such too.

Just drink a lot of water with it. They tend to sit in my stomach like a lump.
  • pudd1e
    pudd1e Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, they're lower in fat and sugar, higher in fiber and protein. So they're definitely preferable to candy bars. Though it's not the "ideal" food to curb hunger pangs, it beats many alternatives. Generally, they're used by hikers, skiiers, backpackers - people whose access to food is limited and are in situations where carbs are necessary.