If only I didn't have to work

Options
I am on "vacation" this week....I say "vacation" because it just means I don't have to work, but I still have school, housework, etc. Actually I usually use this time to do extra projects around the house, like organizing the pantry and doing the "good cleaning" I often don't have time for. But I love it, because having time to do these things is wonderful rather than rushing after work.

So far today I went to a doctor's appt, went to the gym (even though I also have tennis class later today) grocery shopped, ran another errand and am going to start homework soon. I plan to work out everyday this week, plus twice on Wednesday (as I did today, gym + tennis).

Sigh, if only I had this much time everyday and didn't have to work, then I would be super skinny with all the time to go to the gym and prepare better meals.

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't because you wouldn't be able to afford the gym membership or the healthy ingredients. But you could get your exercise by begging and trying to outrun the law after unsuccessful pickpocketing attempts.
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I say this all the time!! If I didn't have to work and were a celebrity I would have a personal chef, personal training and countless hours to workout. It wouldn't take forever for a couple pounds, I'd be at goal in NO TIME!! A girl can dream :)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Amen to that! I am insanely jealous of the mom's who drop their kids off at school/daycare in their gym outfits. Oh how I wish I could drop them off then go to the gym, do housework, prepare a wonderful meal, and be in a wonderful, calm mood when they come home. Unfortunately I'm all about rush rush rush, hurry up and eat, hurry up and work out, hurry up and make dinner/cleanup/give baths/go to bed.

However...I do like having the adult interaction that I do at work. I like having a title other than mommy/wife/take-care-of-everythinger. Plus, the teensy bit of extra $ doesn't hurt either.

I'm sure there are some SAHM's that wish they were in our shoes...
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It makes more challenging to be skinny and healthy with busy lifestyles for sure, but we can still do it! If life is too easy, it won't be too much "fun", right? :-)

My father-in-law is turning 70, and doesn't want to retired because he think he'll be bored out of his mind. I would not! I can come up with many different schedules daily and will find no time to do all the things I want to do in one day.
  • RockstarVamp
    Options
    Oh hun I understand this!
    I work at a local Frozen custard Shop so if I don't work I don't get tempted by delicious frozen treats and I have more time for walking, yoga, and getting stuff done.

But you can do it! Maybe you won't be able to or have the energy to go to the gym everyday, but maybe you can just go for a quick walk after or before work, or just run up and down the stairs a couple of times, or even just take the long way to your classes and the stairs instead of the elevator. It makes a big difference, especially if you're using MFP.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate that my company has a workout facility in our building (including a complete pair of locker rooms with showers). I can either come into work early and workout before work or I can go on my lunch hour.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to think that too, but having too much free time can suck the life out of you. I got much more done when I had a 9-5 job. If you're really disciplined the free time could be great. But for me the lack of structure of my days became a hinderance. Granted, I don't have kiddos to help define my day.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It makes more challenging to be skinny and healthy with busy lifestyles for sure, but we can still do it! If life is too easy, it won't be too much "fun", right? :-)

My father-in-law is turning 70, and doesn't want to retired because he think he'll be bored out of his mind. I would not! I can come up with many different schedules daily and will find no time to do all the things I want to do in one day.

Oh I know, my husband is laid off every winter....he does snow removal which means he could be out working for 28 hours straight, or he is sitting at home for weeks on end, depending on the weather. When he's not working for too long he gets really bored and just sits on the computer. If I were in his shoes I could think of a million things to do. I am a neat freak stuck in a messy person's body, so if I had more time I would love to get the whole house organized and stay cleaned, rather than running around cleaning when company is coming.