Do I have to eat back my exercise calories?

Options
Hi everyone - I know this topic gets discussed quite frequently, but I would really like to hear a definitive answer on the subject. My calorie goal is 1200, and on average I burn at about 450 calories/day from running. I know that according to MFP, then I should add 450 for a total of 1650. I totally understand that you want to avoid your body going into starvation mode, but I am eating a healthy 1200/day spaced out so that I am eating 5x a day. So far I have NOT been eating back my exercise calories and lost about 1.5 lbs a week. I ate back my exercise calories this weekend and now I am up 1.5 lbs on the scale.

The reason I am so skeptical of eating back all the calories burned is that the Biggest Loser contestants probably burn at least 2000 calories a day, and I know they don't eat all those back. What formula are they using for calorie intake to avoid going into starvation mode while creating as large a deficit as possible?

Will someone confirm that as long as I am eating a healthy 1200 calories, that my body will not go into starvation mode?

My stats:
Age - 25
Height - 5'6
SW: 170
CW: 166
GW: 145

Replies

• kimziebaby
    kimziebaby Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 calorie diet too. I never eat back my exercise calories.. i don't see the point. I eat whenever my body tells me to. Do what works for you. Many people say don't, and many people say do eat them. I'm fine not eating back mine, so just do what works best for your body. Everyone is different. :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    *banging head against desk*
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    *banging head against desk*

very hard
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

If you don't like MFP's weight loss system (of eating them back) then there are a million other calorie counting sites out there.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always eat my exersise calories, and I keep gaining (but I quit smoking three months ago too)

So I'm starting to think I shouldn't eat my exersise calories! haha

I need to find a way to be FULL on 1200 calories!

so I would say No don't eat them if you want to lose! lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    i love it. 2 of these threads simultaneously in the recent topics list.

i'm still confused. should i post a third?
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    If you are hungry eat them back but if you arent don't. Idk if I agree with the whole eating back exercise calories. I think you have to be careful how you log your exercise if you do.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're not a biggest loser contestant. You have 25 pounds to lose. Not 200. And you know this has been talked about to death, so what makes you think your thread will get a clear cut answer?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    i love it. 2 of these threads simultaneously in the recent topics list.

i'm still confused. should i post a third?

It is probably for the best that you do.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories there are in a can of worms, because you just opened one.

As far as Biggest Loser goes there is on BIG difference, their starting weight. Those of us with more to lose can go lower on the calories for a longer period of time.

You want a definite answer to a question that has infinite variables and that is not possible.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If you don't like MFP's weight loss system (of eating them back) then there are a million other calorie counting sites out there.

Hah, that is awesome. It says a lot about the number of times this gets asked if someone actually bought a domain solely to answer the question.

To the OP - You're not very far off from your goal weight. It might be a good idea to only try for 1lb/week loss. Trying to lose too quickly if you're close to your healthy weight can be troublesome and discouraging.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    try to eat back ever other day. Mix it up so you will have a different calories amount consumed and you body will be confused, same goes with exercise.
  • Serenifly
    Options
    MAN PEOPLE ARE FEISTY TODAY!!!!!!

CASE OF THE MONDAYS?
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I read that the biggest losers eat 7 calories per pound of weight. So, as they loose weight and get into better shape they have to keep cutting their calories. They are loosing weight rather fast and not aiming for 1 - 2 lbs a week which is a healthy loss. I think if you are loosing 1.5 lbs a week, you feel good, no headaches or feeling starved all the time then you are okay at 1200 calories a day. Would not go below that. I understand for some people it works to eat back their exercise calories but for others it stalls their weight loss. The important thing is getting your fruits, veggies and lean meats in and that you feel good.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Without exercise in a given day, how much do you think you burn just by living? I'm going to guess... 1700 calories (I burn 2000 and weigh a big less, but I'll give you 1700 as a lower guess). You then burn an ADDITIONAL 500 calories. That puts you burning 2200 calories. Right? You consume 1200. That gives you a deficit of 1000 calories. Great!

However your body doesn't like that. You don't have a lot of fat to work with (the people on the biggest looser do and most don't keep it off anyway). Rather than give up the fat it's going to either slow your metabolism down considerably, OR it'll start using your muscle to fuel itself instead of your fat stores. And who wants to be a skinny woman with NO muscle and lots of fat?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I know this topic gets discussed quite frequently, but I would really like to hear a definitive answer on the subject. My calorie goal is 1200, and on average I burn at about 450 calories/day from running. I know that according to MFP, then I should add 450 for a total of 1650. I totally understand that you want to avoid your body going into starvation mode, but I am eating a healthy 1200/day spaced out so that I am eating 5x a day. So far I have NOT been eating back my exercise calories and lost about 1.5 lbs a week. I ate back my exercise calories this weekend and now I am up 1.5 lbs on the scale.

The reason I am so skeptical of eating back all the calories burned is that the Biggest Loser contestants probably burn at least 2000 calories a day, and I know they don't eat all those back. What formula are they using for calorie intake to avoid going into starvation mode while creating as large a deficit as possible?

Will someone confirm that as long as I am eating a healthy 1200 calories, that my body will not go into starvation mode?

My stats:
    Age - 25
    Height - 5'6
    SW: 170
    CW: 166
    GW: 145

You are also not the size of the people on biggest loser. When you are closer to your goal weight, you cannot sustain as large of deficits.

People take a look at others and they simply can't just apply a "well, it worked for them" situation. They are them. You are you. And they probably had daily medical care and attention from coaches and what not to make sure it wasn't going to hurt them.
  • Serenifly
    Options

hahaha awesome website!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 1200 calories too, not eating my excercise calories. It got me no where. Lesson learned. Feel like I wasted last the 40 days. :(
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MAN PEOPLE ARE FEISTY TODAY!!!!!!

CASE OF THE MONDAYS?

You don't get out (on other Internet forums) much, do you? This is tame compared to the snark I've seen on other sites.
  • laurendough
    Options
    My apologies for ruining anyone's day by replicating a thread. My point is, there has to be a threshhold at which you stop eating back calories burned in order to maximize weightloss. Hopefully you burned some extra calories today by typing up a needlessly rude response.