Looking for a Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe

Mine always comes out bland. I tried the many low-cal recipes online, but I guess I'm doing something wrong. Can you guys help? I need a tasty recipe, please :)

Replies

• I like mine with pico instead of dressing and I eat it with crackers or baked tortilla chips...YUM

I can of albacore tuna in water
    diced tomato
    diced red onion
    diced cilantro
    finely diced 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper
    lime juice
    pinch of salt
    pepper to taste

Simple! fresh and tasty :)
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    tuna, bit of low fat mayo or yogurt, chopped celery for crunch, finely chopped white onion, can put in green onion, too/instead. Some fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.
  • J7mbo
    J7mbo Posts: 5
    I find that the onion makes a HUGE difference to the tuna.. for every forkfull of tuna you get, if there's a piece of onion with it then it tastes so much better :)
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Mine always comes out bland. I tried the many low-cal recipes online, but I guess I'm doing something wrong. Can you guys help? I need a tasty recipe, please :)

Pitta bread (wholemeal) half a can tuna in sunflower oil, crispy lettuce (little gem, romaine etc) , cucumber (peeled), red onion and some mozzarella!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Mix with - mayo and spring onion
    - sweet chilli sauce & cucumber
    - cottage cheese, salt & pepper
    - salad cream & tomato
  • For a quick and easy recipe, I add light sour cream and a small amount ranch dressing packet... Makes it a little less bland. Though it may not be so good for salt etc, I find it provides the seasoning to totally improve the flavour!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    I just mix mine with non-fat greek yogurt (it's tangy like sour cream is) and sometimes add green onion and some dip mix. :) It's the seasonings that matter! Dip mix is great because it's usually just herbs and spices (or at least I have some that's just herbs and spices) and you're supposed to add it to sour cream or mayo to make chip dip, but I find it flavours a tuna salad (or other salad) quite nicely. I like roasted red pepper, three onion, and lemon-dill (not all mixed together though, haha).
  • I always use a little lemon juice and dill pickle relish, fat free mayo, pepper, onion, garlic powder, and sometimes a little celery.
  • I always like to put some garlic, a bit of salt and some pepper into mine, maybe some green onions if I have them on hand. I use full fat mayo, but only about 3/4 of a Tbsp, because I prefer it to be dry-ish. And then I eat it on whole wheat bread w/ butter lettuce, or red lettuce. I tend to go heavy on the garlic (roughly 2.5 cloves for one can) but I love love love garlic. Salt and pepper according to taste. I also prefer albacore tuna to the chunk pink stuff.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    i agree it's all in the seasonings, and i love it with finely chopped celery and onions, a mix of non fat greek yogurt and either veganaise or nayonaise, and salt, pepper, a little onion salt sometimes (very little)....i like the idea of using lemon pepper!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    My Mom makes one by mixing salsa with the tuna, then eating it in a whole grain wrap, with some lettuce, and avocado is super yummy! Many people in our family are lactose intolerant, or have problems with Mayo, so we find ways around things.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    I make mine with Miracle Whip Light, diced celery and red onion. I pair with that with a side of steamed veggies for 270 cals total, makes for a very satisfying lunch.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    When it comes to all chicken and all fish (especially tuna in a can) I always use lemon pepper! Fresh squeezed lemon juice or jalapeno juice works wonders as well :) And I love a crunch, so celery and onion are a must.