To all those no junk fooders

Options
How did/do you do it? How do you resist the temptation of icecream, cookies, etc? I try to stay healthy but i end up caving. Would it be better to slowly adjust or just cut myself off? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating many foods, and not just for the purpose of weight loss.

If you want to lose your appetite for a certain food, learn more and more about where it really comes from and what it really is until it is gross to you.
  • ebgster
    ebgster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had to find replacement foods that I really love so I still have snacks that I can look forward to. It's easier to replace something than cut it out entirely.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The most junk food I'll eat on average is one desert(small peice of cake, a cookie, half a muffin, etc)
    How i did it? I ate healthy, all healthy one day, and realize just how much i felt like **** when all i ate was junk food.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    if you don't buy it, you won't eat it. i had to throw everything bad away and then just ignored it when i was at the store. if it's not around, you can't/won't eat it. also, i give myself a cheat day so i can maintain my sanity and cravings.
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    I have stopped eating many foods, and not just for the purpose of weight loss.

If you want to lose your appetite for a certain food, learn more and more about where it really comes from and what it really is until it is gross to you.

Wow, that's really good advice. It's so simple and direct. I honestly never even thought about that. I going to start doing just that, because I am a sugar junkie. Thanks!
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    U don't have to cut it out completly. All the snacks these days have the 100 calorie version, so u can satisfy ur sweet-tooth with small portions
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have the MFP app on my android and I open it and carry it with me to the vending machine. . .

Also I eventually realized the difference between eating a snickers and my blood sugar crashing and making me hungry again, and eating something healthy that made me feel full for a long time.

I still crave junk and eat it on occasion, but I try to keep other things close by (like on my desk at work/home) so I don't even have an excuse to get up/ go to the store and be tempted.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    This is a total cliche, but since I've started working out 5X a week, my junk food cravings have pretty much gone away (don't get me wrong, I still have them occasionally, but they are becoming less and less?) Here is the cliche part... nothing tastes better than being in shape feels!
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a little treat everyday, but I enter it in my fitness pal before I eat it. Then I can decide if it is worth either the extra exercise or depriving myself dinner time. Or sometimes I say, okay, but a smaller portion so I can fit it into my calorie goal. I did a lot of mindless eating before I stared on MFP.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    if you dont give in sometimes then its easier to just totally binge and give up all together. If you want ice cream, have ice cream, just not the whole container!
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :happy: When I have a craving, I eat what I am craving and only eat 1/2 of it!! I don't ever feel like I'm dieting because I eat what I want in small portions! I need to learn to do that with alcoholic drinks :drinker: :laugh: Good luck!
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I can do anything I set my mind to. The biggest difference I've made is instead of telling myself "I can't have that." I tell myself "I don't want that." n Just yesterday my Mom offered me cookies. I said no thanks and she told me I could try one bite without getting fat. It was then I relized I simply just did not want the cookie. . .
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    for some reason, i have NEVER liked cookies, chips, or most other junk foods. my weakness is actually tacos D: and i agree that learning about how awful those junk foods are is a great way to stay away from them. good luck :)
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I started replacing with healthier options. And no, I don't mean celery suddenly replaces chocolate cake! I do a lot of Skinny Cow products - all the taste, half the calories/fat! I also don't completely deny myself anything, either. If you do, you will relapse. It's only human. It's ALL in portion control! Don't devour a bag of Cheetos until you cry from shame. Buy the light version in individual packets. It worked for me! :-)
  • INKSFITNESS
    Options
    I say educate yourself, thats what I did. When I started to look at the ingredients and realized what junk they are, I didnt want to put that in my body. If the ingredients look like a science experiment, its probably not a good idea to eat it. Also , by eating healthier foods, and eating more often, 3 meals and 2 snacks, I found I didnt crave that stuff anymore. I try not to go over 3-4 hours without eating my snack or a main meal. I made exercise as important as brushing my teeth. do it everyday. Realize you are worth it , and get it done!
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also,planning ahead helps. Bringing fruit to work with me means I can have something sweet when the urge comes without hitting the vending machine. Don't have junk in your home.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    i haven't totally cut out junk
    but if you plan to, i think it's best to slowly wean yourself off it.
    it's ok to indulge once in awhile -- just my 2 cents.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I find if i cut everything out, i binge majorly!! But if i want some icecream, measure it out the serving size & eat according during the day so that u dont go over & evercise the day u cheat. SEE, i know this but im having trouble the last couple weeks to take my own advise! :ohwell:
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I find if i cut everything out, i binge majorly!! But if i want some icecream, measure it out the serving size & eat according during the day so that u dont go over & evercise the day u cheat. SEE, i know this but im having trouble the last couple weeks to take my own advise! :ohwell:

i cut cokes out almost completley, dont even have to have 1 anymore! :0) Had 2 on the day of my sons party, but thats the only time ive had them in months.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    I don't believe in cutting any food out. It's kinda like the rebellious teen spirit returning...as soon as I tell myself I am never/not going to eat something, I want it. So, as stated by a previous poster, I make the choice to NOT eat something 98% of the time. There is that 2% where I cave :ohwell: i acknowledge it and move on. I can say that after adjusting to eating healthy a majority of the time, when I do cave, it doesn't taste nearly as good as I thought it would. My issue is ice cream and chocolate so I've found low calorie replacement foods. I don't keep it in the home as I find that once I start with those carb laden foods, I binge. Hope this helps!