Liquid Diet

Options
BradWoj
BradWoj Posts: 17 Member
Hey everyone! My fiancee is having pretty major jaw surgery in about a month, and won't be able to eat anything that doesn't fit through a straw for 4-6 weeks. I thought I'd join her, at least for the first couple of weeks, so she doesn't have to watch me eating steak and potatoes the whole time.

We plan on doing a lot more research, but I figured I'd start here: anyone have any experience with liquid/blenderized diets? Any tips? We'd like to lose some weight as an added benefit to the recovery process, so how can we drink our meals and be healthy at the same time?

Thanks!

Replies

• coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Use a juicer and just juice fruits and veggies, and maybe mix it up with some protein shakes.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you are am amazing fiance for decided to suffer through a liquid diet with her while she recovers.
    now there is true love :o)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Check out Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead for some info on juicing.
  • JenCat162
    JenCat162 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My friend recently had jaw surgery:( Your fiancee really isn't going to have much of a problem losing weight. It's really hard to maintain calories when you're eating through a straw. The fist few days are going to be her eating with a syringe and depending on what she's having done, swallowing itself may be difficult. My friend dropped a little over 15 pounds that first week. He has a really good metabolism to begin with so that may have been part of it; his body was also working over time trying to heal itself and he slept a lot because of the pain. He "drank" a lot of high protein shakes and smoothies through a syringe for the first week and then moved on to a lot of soup. Healthy Choice Tomato and Basil was a favorite. When he started to "eat" some blended foods, he said that blended Chef Boyardee, baked beans and hot dogs aren't too bad. Once he started feeling well enough to actually cook... he would just cook regular meals and then blend them:) Applesauce was a favorite. He ate a lot of the same foods everyday. Good luck! I hope the surgery goes well.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would go with milk shakes, protein shakes, smoothies and the like. you can add powders and such to them to give them more nurtritional value. When I was in highschool I had a friend who had to do this but i can't remember the types of products he used. Good luck to both of you!!