Eeeuuw, FISH!

Options
Hi everyone,

I want to up my fish intake (since I am not eating any :ohwell: ) and I know it is good for me.
Now, I dont really do fish, unless it is fish fingers.

So I have plain, unbattered cod filets in my freezer. What to do with them?
Do any of you have a recipe for a yummee low-calorie fish sauce to accompany those dreadful cod filets?:sick:

I really like tartar sauce, but I doubt that is a good choice during my diet! :sad:

Thanks
Hanna

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I want to up my fish intake (since I am not eating any :ohwell: ) and I know it is good for me.
    Now, I dont really do fish, unless it is fish fingers.

So I have plain, unbattered cod filets in my freezer. What to do with them?
    Do any of you have a recipe for a yummee low-calorie fish sauce to accompany those dreadful cod filets?:sick:

I really like tartar sauce, but I doubt that is a good choice during my diet! :sad:

Thanks
    Hanna
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you about fish! I NEVER liked it, unless of course it was deep fat fried! :laugh:
    It's not "real" low calorie, but the only way I can eat fish is to put a thin layer of seafood stuffing (which is at the meat/deli department of most grocery stores I'd say) on top of it and then bake it. That's the only way I can eat fish, and BECAUSE it's fish, it's one of my least amount of calorie meals, so even with the seafood stuffing, it's not TOO bad.
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am one of these people that will eat anything that comes out of the ocean (except a rubber boots:laugh: )

Here are some of my fav. ways to cook cod:

Cod fillets could be cooked into a chowder with potatoes, milk,onions, carrots and whatever spices you like.

Bake the cod fillets in the oven with some lemon juice and pepper (or butter and pepper) is quite yummy as well.

Make some dressing (like what you would make to stuff a turkey) and sandwich the fillets in the middle and bake that in the oven .

Cover it with "shake and bake" and bake it in the oven...

Boil it in water with some spices that you like, Drain it and eat it with a side of rice.

Just a few of the ways I like to eat cod. I hope that you find something that you like as well. I'm sure that there are tons of delicious recepies on line
  • cmdelux
    Options
    You might also try a less "fishy tasting" fish, like salmon. You can sautee salmon fillets in non-stick fat free butter flavor cooking spray, add salt and pepper, and then squeeze lemon juice over it while it is cooking. How about making your own tartar sauce with fat free mayo and relish?
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am still missing some of the benefits of fish but I just can't eat fish, so I take Omega/fish oil pills everyday. So that's something else you can try.
    MM
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Thank you marskids for the ideas.
    I would just like to cover it in sauce so I dont see what it really is, if you get me!
    I tried to make a fisherman's pie recently (low fat version) and it just tasted horrible. :frown:

cmdelux, the idea with the own tartar sauce sounds good. I will look up a recipe for making your own and just replace the fatty bits with low fat options... somehow. :ohwell: Salmon yes, I have eaten Salmon skewers before and they were yummee. But I thought Salmon is high in fat??

The stuff is just gross :sick:

PS: mechanicmom, thank you as well for your reply, but I dont eat it for the benefits (like omega3). I want to eat it because it is a "lean protein" apparently, and I could eat it with my vegetables to make me full in the evening. :ohwell:
  • jalopes
    jalopes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    try perch, its very mild tasting.
    i made fish last night, i put pesto on it, and it masks the flavour pretty well.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Tilapia doesn't taste as fishy as other fish. I sprinkle it with cajun seasoning and bake it for about 15 minutes.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't especially like cod, I think I had a bad batch once, so....

I always buy tilapia, it doesn't have that fishy flavor so many don't like, I spray it with pam, then sprinkle whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, always some salt, any Mrs. Dash flavors are good, garlic, cumin.

I bake it uncovered at 400* for 15-20 minutes, it will look moist and be flaky and delish!!!
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't think salmon is high in fat but I am not 100% sure. If you want to eat salmon though I have the BEST recipe for salmon, and I don't like fish either. I like tuna but that is all
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Oh, I adore fish!!

BUT-- my husband is not a big fan.

We eat tilapia because he doesn't detect a strong "fish flavor" to it. We tend to do lemon pepper seasoning, or butter and garlic.

I love tuna steaks. In my opinion, they aren't as 'fishy' but more firm and 'steaky'. However, I'm not a great gauge of 'fishy-ness' since I love the stuff.

I love tartar sauce too. It's totally unhealthy. Along the lines of ranch dressing and mayonaisse.
    Do you like spicy foods? If so, maybe you can start a search for a good spicy lower calorie dipping sauce instead. I use lots of salad dressings as dipping sauces. (This is why I own 2.3 million bottles of half used dressing:laugh: ).
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Kris, I like salmon yes, the skewers i tried once were awesome. What is your recipe??? :bigsmile:
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Lauryn you lucky thing! I admire people who dont mind fish, let alone love it :noway:

still searching online for a nice low-cal sauce for fish. None I found appertising so far though :sick:

The search continues...
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a yummy tilapia recipe, with a roasted red pepper sauce, healthy, low-fat, and tastier than tarter.

1 T. butter, or low fat spread, or olive oil, or Pam.
    1 1/2-2 lbs. tilapia
    1/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. paprika
    1/2 c. light mayo
    1/4 c. chopped roasted red bell peppers (from a jar)
    *1/4 t. cumin
    1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400. Spray baking dish w/ pam. Arrange tilapia fillets in pan. Spray fish w/ pam. sprinkle w/ salt, pepper and paprika. Bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine mayo, peppers, cumin, and garlic. Blend well, serve w/ fish.

*I also sprinkle the fish w/ a bit of cumin before baking.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What I've really enjoyed lately...

Lemon Pepper Fish

2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (or olive oil)
    1-2 fillets of fish of choice
    1/2 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup sliced tomato
    1 cup baby spinach leaves
    1/4 cup cashew halves
    lime juice
    lemon pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Heat up the oil in a skillet on the stove top.
    Add in the fish (either from fresh or frozen) and the onions (if starting with frozen fish wait about 5 minutes before adding the onions)
    When fish is just about done cooking add in the tomatoes, spinach leaves and cashews.
    Spray lime juice over fish and veggies (as much as desired... don't drown it, use just enough).
    Cook until spinach leaves have wilted.
    Empty onto plate and sprinkle with as much lemon pepper as desired.

It's not the most clear recipe, but that's because it's something I made up on my own... and I'm one of those "pinch of this" "dash of that" sort of gals :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Lauryn you lucky thing! I admire people who dont mind fish, let alone love it :noway:

It's a really good thing I like fish since I cannot stand hamburger or turkey or ham or pork or chicken.... Meat has to be prepared VERY carefully in order for me to consume any. I will eat "pulled" meats, like pulled pork barbeque or pulled chicken in a chicken salad, but I don't eat those very often. I mostly eat fish and beans for protein.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Angie and psyknife,

Thank you, both recipes actually sound quite nice. I will give it a try at the weekend!

I like the idea of thwe sauce, means it "hides" the fish! :laugh:

Thanks girls!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I love mahi because of the non fishy taste

Can't touch tilapia I saw a show one day on how they live and what they eat...uh yeah havent been able to touch it since.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    hm i dont know mahi or tilapia. I am not sure we have these fish in the UK ? :huh:

I think the only fish I can actually see myself eat is salmon (other than breaded fish).

And anyway, is breaded fish really THAT bad? I havent eaten a battered one in ages, but every now and then I really fancy 3 fishfingers which I grill in the oven without any oil/butter. I mean, how bad can that be?
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here is an awesome recipe for fish!

Parmesan Herb Baked Fish Fillets

Heat oven to 400 F
    Grease baking dish

1 pkg of frozen fillets, thawed and patted dry (1 lb/500 g)
    ¼ cup light mayo
    ¼ cup parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp green onions
    1 tbsp of chopped pimiento or red bell pepper
    Cayenne pepper to taste

½ cup dry bread crumbs
    ½ tsp dried basil
    Black pepper to taste

Place fish fillets in a single layer on baking dish.
    Mix mayo, cheese, onions, pimiento and cayenne together
    Spread evenly over fillets
    In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, basil and pepper, sprinkle over fish.
    Bake 10 – 12 min or until fish is opaque and flaky

Per serving, 251 calories, 8 g Fat, 12 g carb, 23 g protein