US roadtrip - HELP!

Options
Hi!

On september 7th I’ll be flying to the US to visit my sister with my dad. We’ll be staying for a month but doing a roadtrip for the entire time from NYC across to Chicago down to Houston across to the east coast again & back up to NYC.

Obviously while on this roadtrip I won’t have any chance to cook so I was wondering if you American folks would be so kind as to tell me what you usually do when you’re on the go or while eating out. I’m not too familiar with a lot of US brands although I’ve lived in Chicago for a while (didn’t monitor my calories intake back then) so I really need your help to figure out the dos & don’ts of eating out & what food brands you usually stay away from in the store. ;-)

My immediate plan is to eat a roll & some fruit for breakie, salad & some kind of protein for lunch & then a restaurant meal in the evening. In between I plan on snacking on fruit, veggies & whatever you guys recommend that won’t blow my calorie budget.

Any ideas or thoughts? (:

Thanks a bunch,

Maja.

Replies

• peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you will have access to the internet, many large restaurants post their nutrition online. There is a book called Eat This Not That which talks about the best options for eating out at restaurants. You can also look for smartphone apps that offer restaurant nutritions without connecting to the internet each time.

Just keep in mind, portions tend to be large in America. Eat half your meal, be aware of calorie traps like sauces, dressings and cheese, high carb items. Using your common sense, you should be okay. It is a holiday, after all! Enjoy yourself!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    it would be good, if on your roadtrip, you could take along a cooler. You could then stop at grocery stores and visit either the deli, or produce section. Lots of good choices there, and something for everyone.
  • Stephhhy1910
    Options
    Just wanted to say Have fun on your roadtrip!! AS PP said, just be weary of sauces, dressings, and portion sizes. Here in the US portions are huge! Ask for a box and box half before you even start your meal :) Good Luck!!