What's your budget?

Options
...and I'm not talking about calories. :P I was looking at a food picture thread and it really made me curious. I mean, I know there is a lot of diversity here, and it would seem in today's society your wealth equates to your food's health factors. So, what's your monthly food budget? How do you shop so that you can eat healthily enough, if your budget is on the low side?

I live off of foodstamps with my daughter and her father, and he inputs his money as well. But he also does all of the shopping, so I get zero say/ability in choosing what I have in the kitchen, since I'm totally dependent at this point in my life. It's a struggle. I am guessing about 300.00 is what goes into our food buying, per month, including stamps, for all three of us.

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Now that I think about it, my budget is pretty big for food. However, it doesn't mean that I spend a ton on it either. I always watch for sales and even do some coupon clipping for things I need. It can be done on a budget.
  • mp09aap
    mp09aap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    im a student and i try to stick to £25 a week or $40. it dosent mean that i eat rubbish. its about finding the weekly deels expecily meat and then freeze it. also frozen vegtables are very cheep. £1 per kg
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    thankfully, my boyfriend buys the majority of our groceries!
    i probably spend up to an extra $100 on food that i want but he won't eat (i.e. tomatoes, ice cream, frozen meals for work, etc.)
    one thing i promised myself was that i would never skimp on healthy food for myself or my gym membership, even if i'm close to broke. i'd rather bike instead of drive and cut my cell plan down than cheat my body out of Healthy options!
    but like i said, i'm lucky that my bf foots the food bill :o)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    ours (my husband and i) is maybe around 350. however, we do buy quite a few brand name things as well, and use coupons when i remember to bring them with me.

we tend to buy things on sale, go to farmer's markets (there's a few near us that take food stamps which is awesome, even though we don't receive them) and buy in bulk when there's something we want/have space for it.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under $150 every week and a half or so. I'm sure it's way over. Food is expensive in Colorado!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I feed the two of us for about $200-$250 and we eat primarily local (dairy and meat) and organic produce.

There are some easy ways to save money. Go to farmer's markets at around closing time. Befriend your local produce stand owner. Convince them to make you deals on the produce that needs to be used within the next few days. Look into organic produce delivery programs. I pay $33/delivery, every other week, for 15-20 lb of organic produce that magically shows up on my doorstep.

I also believe firmly in saving money in other places so I can spend extra to eat local and organic. Make your own hand soap (about $3/gallon) and laundry or dish soap (both about 3cents/load). Dry your clothes on a rack instead of in the dryer.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have foodstamps I only get 180 a month and my sons father pays for the rest,I also have wic for our son and that helps I would say about 300 a month on food I shop at aldi a lot
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Me and my bf use between $500-$650 a month but thats a lot that we don't need. Chicken breasts are great because they are pretty cheep and you can make stir fry with brown rice and frozen veggies, cook the breasts with spices or sauce in the oven, make stips and bread them with non sugared corn flakes, or put them in whole wheat pasta. All pretty cheap stuff to buy
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low budget. I get paid every 2 weeks and use $100.00 from each check for food. So I use about $200.00 a month on food. It's pretty expensive here in IL.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I buy foods in their unprocessed, natural form. Like potatoes, rice, veggies, fruits, meats, fish, etc. I keep costs down buy thinking of how to cook them interestingly.......

It's the processed foods that i believe kill a budget. (chips, premade anything like salsas, protein bars, frozen diet meals, etc.)

Cooking is fun :bigsmile: - finding new spices to flavor something, etc. has been my biggest trick to stay in a budget.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    Mine, for a family of four in New Zealand, is about $250.00 a week (so about $1,000NZ a month... which is I think about $800US a month). For me this seems like an awful lot, and the majority of it goes into making sure the children (aged 7 and 12) have enough cereal, muesli bars, snacks and sandwiches for their school lunches.

For me, as I'm trying to lose weight, choosing healthy can be really hard. Especially on those Friday nights when you're home from work, tired, feel like getting drunk of just falling into a coma and you STILL have people relying on you to cook. It has less to do with the budget, and more to do with the 'imma just gonna make THIS because it's easy'.

One life saver is the humble omlette. Two eggs, a little cheese and some herbs and you've got a healthy meal right there. I fall back on this so much I'm about to start clucking.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    We are in a similar boat, financially. We spend about $600 (including all sources) a month, I think. That is for me, my husband, and 3 kids (8, 10, 12) who eat like they have hollow legs (growing kids!)

During the school year, it's probably a bit less since they get free lunch at school, but I guess that would go into the food budget otherwise, too.
  • kayler00
    kayler00 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get foodstamps as well for me & my boyfriend. We get $280 a month - but we end up putting money in like the last week of the month. Now that I am eating healthy and well - my boyfriend isn't (he doesn't really HAVE to though, he's tiny and could gain some lbs haha) it's going to be a struggle now divding up healthy between not so healthy.

But I am a coupon queen! COUPONS are amazing, so I sometimes get $200 worth of groceries for about $60. =)
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I try and spend no more than $400 a month for my husband and I. We get most of our red meat free but I usually cook with chicken or fish.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Less than $100 a month. All organic, processed food-free!
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    4 of us in california and we eat cheap stuff like hamburger helper and pasta we spend 1000 a month at the grocery store abot 80 on fastfood. we r all average size. but I buy a lot of conveince food. smart ones and banquet meals. I work full time so dont have a lots of time for planning or I might be able to spend less I do use coupons.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    We live paycheck to paycheck .....food is not a top spender in my house!! I usually spend $50-75 per week on groceries.....family of 4 , one being a baby! I clip coupons and go to the Dollar Tree (the have food items there) often! We eat pretty healthy....so I guess, you don't need to spend a lot to do so!
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    $83.33 monthly ($1000 yearly): this figure includes paper products, cleaners, hygiene stuff, etc. I'm not on foodstamps, just frugal. I haven't paid for toothpaste, shampoo, washing-up liquid, or "feminine products" for years.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    I spend about 120 a week, including my husband and I and feeding all the children in my childcare center. (8)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Lol, I don't even know. I think it's quite a bit but I tend to impulse buy. For instance, $20 on halibut because it was beautiful. (I'm eating it right this second, it's delicious) Plus, I buy expensive meat and produce and that's all we eat.

We are looking into getting a freezer so we can buy local meat in large quantity.