Replies

• daniellefsc
    daniellefsc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Pulled Pork:

1 cup canned tomato sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cider vinegar
    2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. brown sugar (lightly packed)
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    12 oz. raw lean boneless pork tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat
    12 oz. raw boneless pork shoulder (the leanest piece you can find), trimmed of excess fat
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    2 cups roughly chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
    Optional: crushed red pepper

To make the sauce, place tomato sauce, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic powder in a crock pot. Stir until mixed. Season both types of pork with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Top with onion and lightly stir.

Cover and cook until pork is fully cooked, on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.

Remove all the pork and place it in a large bowl. Shred each piece using two forks -- one to hold the pork in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded pork to the crock pot and mix well with the sauce.

If you're serving a group, keep the crock pot on its lowest setting, so the pork stays warm. Season to taste with crushed red pepper, if using. Yum time!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS

PER SERVING (2/3 cup): 220 calories, 6g fat, 637mg sodium, 16g carbs, 1g fiber, 12g sugars, 24g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Prep: 10 minutes
    Cook: 3 - 4 hours or 7 - 8 hours
  • daniellefsc
    daniellefsc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
    Serves 6
    Active Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 6-7 hours on low

INGREDIENTS
    1 lb chicken thighs, skin removed
    3 cups water
    2 cans (14½ oz each) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
    1 can (15¼ oz) kernel corn
    1 can (14½ oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles
    ½ tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
    1 cup crumbled tortilla chips
    ½ cup chopped cilantro
    Garnish: lime wedges, tortilla chips

PREPARATION
    1. Put all ingredients (except for the tortilla chips and lime wedges) into the crockpot. Cook for 6-7 hours on low.
    2.Garnish with lime wedges and tortilla chips; if desired.

Per serving: 240 cal, 16 g pro, 33 g car, 7 g fiber, 7 g fat (2 g sat fat), 36 mg chol, 1038 mg sod
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    This is making me so hungry
  • muddieguryl
    muddieguryl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to use Renyolds Crock Pot Liners! Easiest clean up ever!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I freakin' love my crock pot!

My favorite recipe is chili:
    2 cans chili beans, drained
    2 cans other beans of your choice (black, pinto, etc), drained
    1 package spicy chili seasoning
    1 package brown gravy mix
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 onion, minced
    2 cups frozen corn (optional)
    And then however much water you think it needs. I don't really measure lol

Crock pot potato chowder:
    4 cups diced potatoes
    4 cups cauliflower
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    3 cups vegetable broth
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 onion, minced
    black pepper, to taste
    1 package fat free cream cheese

Cook the cauliflower in the microwave beforehand. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, soup, broth, garlic, onion, and pepper to the crock pot. Cook on low 10-12 hrs. Before serving, microwave the cream cheese until it's very soft. Remove about 2 cups of potato chunks from the crock pot. (Make sure you leave all the cauliflower in.) Put the cream cheese in the crock pot and use an immersion blender to blend it until it's very smooth. Add the potato chunks back in. Top with sour cream and cheddar cheese to serve.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    4 cups beef broth
    1 cup no sugar added Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
    1 14 oz can Red Gold petite chopped tomatoes
    2/3 cup pearled barley
    1.5 teaspoons dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of all visible fat

Dump it all in a crock pot, set to low for 8-10 hours. YUMMY!! Even my vegetable-hating husband loves this stew. Serves 6.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving (per MFP):
    504 Calories
    38 Carbs
    13 Grams Fat (5 Saturated)
    55 Grams Protein
    9 Grams Fiber
    6 Grams Sugar
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    Take an entire chicken, wash it inside and out, and put it in the slow cooker on low in the morning, and when you come home at night you'll have the most wonderful, moist, perfectly-cooked chicken ever, that you can use for any recipe.

My slow cooker has enough room for two entire chickens - I stuff them in on their sides.

I'll often start cooking two chickens, starting on Sunday morning and let them just go all day. Then, on Sunday evening I'll take them out, let them cool a little, and clean. The meat just falls off the bone, the skin peels off effortlessly, and I have an entire week's worth of healthy chicken cooked so easily!

You can even strain and use the broth for soup, once you let it cool and skim off the fat.

You can also season the chicken before putting it in the pot - but I usually prefer to season the meat when I'm using it, instead,

I love cooking chicken like this!

you don't have to add any liquid?
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ladibug23
    Ladibug23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    How about jambalaya? It's a little effort, but you can make a boatload at once and it freezes beautifully for quick meals later.

Jambalaya in the crock pot

- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
    - 1/2 lb of andouille or italian sausage, bite-sized pieces
    - 1 med/large onion, diced
    - 2 sweet peppers, diced (green, or other colors - whatever you like best)
    - 4-6 celery stalks, sliced
    - 1 28oz can diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
    - 1 cup chicken broth
    - 1 6oz can tomato paste
    - 1/2 tsp each black, red, white pepper (or to taste)
    - salt to taste
    - 1 bay leaf
    - 1 lb of shrimp (uncooked is best, but coooked is ok too) peeled & deveined
    - your favorite rice, cooked according to package directions

Everything should be in nice little chunks - maybe 1/2" or so.

In a skillet, brown the chicken bits and place in the crock, then do the same with the sausage.
    Add all veggies to crock.
    In a bowl, mix broth and tomato paste, then pour into crock.
    Add spices and seasonings.
    Mix it up a bit.
    Cook on low about 8-9 hours or 4 hours on high (better on low, if you have the time)
    Add the shrimp about 10 minutes before serving.
    Serve over rice.

Enjoy! :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I looove my crock pot - so one more:

White bean chicken chili

- 1 onion, diced
    - 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
    - 1 lb tomatillos, diced (fresh is best and worth the knife-time, but you can sub canned or salsa verde)
    - 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
    - 1 7oz can diced green chiles
    - 2 15oz cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (great northern, navy, or cannellini)
    - 1 tsp (or 1 cube) chicken bouillon
    - 1/2 lb cooked chicken, diced
    - 1 tsp cumin
    - 1 tsp coriander
    - 1/2 tsp oregano
    - salt & pepper to taste

Toss everything into the crock pot and cook for 6-7 hours on low or about 3 hours on high.
    Sprinkle with cilantro and/or squeeze in a little lime juice.

Enjoy!
    Nikkie
  • ZaidaOlivo
    Options
    Just made bbq pulled chicken with Stubb's bbq sauce, sooo good!

How long did you leave it in for?
  • amanda_100283
    Options
    Can I put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot to cook and, if so, how long will it take them to cook?

Also, when you put the chicken in with the salsa, do you put any water in with it? It seems like just salsa would burn?

I make these shredded chicken tacos. They are sooo good. Here is the recipe and how I make them in my crock pot.

The recipe says they are 300 cal. per taco. You could make it healthier by using something other than regular tortillas.

Anyways,

I use:

1 16oz jar of Pace Mild Picante Sauce

4 Boneless skinless chicken breast

2 Serrano peppers (you can use more or less depending on how hot you want it)

1 Clove of garlic

I don't like chunky salsa so I put the salsa and peppers in the blender to make them smooth.

Then I throw everything in the crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Once the chicken is done I shred with a fork and then throw the chicken back in the sauce in the crock pot for another 10-15min on low.

This makes enough for my boyfriend and I to each have 2 burritos each for dinner and then enough left over for our lunches.

Try it, you won't be disappointing.

**The frozen chicken deal....... I have a bbq recipe that says to throw the chicken in the crock pot frozen and cook for 6 hours, however I never freeze my chicken so I'm not sure how it turns out. :-)

Hope this helps!!
  • Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump- will definatly be coming back here come winter time i love easy meals
  • amanda_100283
    Options
    Can I put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot to cook and, if so, how long will it take them to cook?

Also, when you put the chicken in with the salsa, do you put any water in with it? It seems like just salsa would burn?

I make these shredded chicken tacos. They are sooo good. Here is the recipe and how I make them in my crock pot.

The recipe says they are 300 cal. per taco. You could make it healthier by using something other than regular tortillas.

Anyways,

I use:

1 16oz jar of Pace Mild Picante Sauce

4 Boneless skinless chicken breast

2 Serrano peppers (you can use more or less depending on how hot you want it)

1 Clove of garlic

I don't like chunky salsa so I put the salsa and peppers in the blender to make them smooth.

Then I throw everything in the crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Once the chicken is done I shred with a fork and then throw the chicken back in the sauce in the crock pot for another 10-15min on low.

This makes enough for my boyfriend and I to each have 2 burritos each for dinner and then enough left over for our lunches.

Try it, you won't be disappointing.

**The frozen chicken deal....... I have a bbq recipe that says to throw the chicken in the crock pot frozen and cook for 6 hours, however I never freeze my chicken so I'm not sure how it turns out. :-)

Hope this helps!!

I forgot one thing. The recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning. I only use half because otherwise all you taste is taco seasoning. :-)
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    bump

Love my crock pot especially with working split shift.
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump