parenting help

Options
About two and half months ago my 4 year old grandson came to live with me. The transition was very hard for him and it was necessary for me to focus on his needs instead of mine. Now that we've settled into a routine, it's time for me to get back on track with MFP. It's difficult to find time to exercise (my workout room is now his bedroom) and even though I'm getting better at measuring my food before serving a meal it's still a challange. How do you do it with small children in the house?

Replies

• scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I give mine Playdoh! It keeps them occupied while I workout. I always have a mess to clean afterwards but at least I got a workout.
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I play sports with the kids or go for walks with them, but most of my exercise takes place when they are asleep - early morning run or evening exercise class/DVD/fast walk. Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My grandchildren exercise with me.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I do mine in the morning before mine are up
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old daughter and I try to include her in my exercise as much as possible. She has a set of 1 pound hand weights and she tries to follow along when I'm working out. We also do kickboxing and pilates workouts together. She usually gets bored 5-10 minutes into it and then goes to find something else to do. I also have a jogging trampoline and will let her dance on the floor or jump on the bed while I'm on the trampoline. She also gets a turn on it when I'm done. And we go for walks on school days to drop off and pick up her brother at school. Even though I'm not getting a great workout when I walk with her because she's on foot, it's better than nothing and it sets a great example for her. I also do a 30 - 45 minute workout in the morning on most days before the kids are up.
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk with him before his bedtime... It should help tire him out and give you both the exercise you need..
  • tonismith15
    tonismith15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have them workout with me. Or at least watch. I have three kids under 5 and I try to exercise every day. I do an exercise tape in the morning and sometimes my daughter joins along with me. I workout on the treadmill at night when they sleep or during naps. How old is your grandson? It might be fun to involve him in working out, depending on his age. If he's old enough to walk he can go for walks with you. Or dance with you to music, either on an exercise tape or just music in general.

You can also distract him with toys and crafts. Watercolor paints work nice and clean up easy. Markers, crayons etc.

Good luck!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    If I can't involve them, I put them in front of a movie and try my best to explain that I need to do this for me. It is also healthy for them to see you take time to take care of yourself. Keep at it and eventually he will get it.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old takes a nap and my 4 year old watches a movie in her room.
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 yr old and a 15 month old, and most of my exercise happens when they are sleeping too but sometimes they go with me like walking or bike riding. Or I play a "sport" or just play with them so they get active and so do I :smile:
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I put popcorn kernels in a bucket and let him dig around with shovels and cups, he LOVES it! Hes only two but will sit there and play with it for as long as I let him.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    you have many options:

1. go to gym that has a child care center...he gets to be with kids and you get to workout
    2. get up earlier then him and exercise
    3. can he ride a bicycle/tricycle? if so, he can ride, you can walk fast or jog
    4. you can exercise, he can have independent play time
    5. exercise after he goes to bed at night (not my favorite option because by that time i am ready for bed too!)

these are just a few suggestions. It can be difficult to exercise with a young one, but if you make it part of the daily routine it gets easier.

Congratulations on your new addition. Children and grandchildre are a blessing!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    At 4 months I'd try to work out when he's asleep, either during nap time, before he wakes or after he goes to bed for the night. Taking him out in the stroller is great but they can't go in a jogging stroller before 6m unless a Dr says otherwise.

You can put him in the swing while you workout, high chair with something to much on when he's able to self feed and I sometimes put my daughters favorite movie on and pop a DVD in my lap top in the adjacent area to workout (she's 18m).
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    We adopted our grand-daughters last year, now aged 2 and 5. First off, let me tell you that you are not alone. There are plenty of us re-parents around...reach out if you need support! It is a difficult thing for the entire family, but yes, mostly for the children. But they are resilient and will get through this, though, whatever the eventual outcome, and be stronger people for it!

Anyway, mine were very disruptive during my workouts in the beginning. I had to pause time and time again. I would re-settle them into an activity, then get back at it, always reminding them that they have my undivided attention 23 hours a day; this one hour was for me. They have gradually gotten used to the idea that unless the house is on fire, they need to occupy themselves while I work out.

They occasionally join me, when it looks entertaining (like ultimate ball on Supreme 90). My oldest insisted on having shorts and a sports bra just like me, and we got her a set of 1 lb. soft walking weights to use as dumbbells. It's too cute!

I also try to workout super-early sometimes. I leave at first light to walk or run, while DH and the kids are still in bed. I get back in time to shower, then wake everyone and start the day! It's actually nice to have the mental-health break, even if it means lost sleep.

Good luck to you and your family!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I put my daughter at the table with crayons and paper or I do it when she's napping (she's 3 almost 4)
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I have 2 girls. Ava is almost 2 and Addi is almost 5. I have learned that I never ever ever try to exercise while they are awake. They distract me and I get frustrated and don't get a good work out. I have a treadmill and stepper in my room and I do On Demand exercise videos through my cable box before they wake up, while they nap, or after they go to bed. As for eating.... I buy my girls snacks, but only ones that won't temp me...lol. I bought a scale and just always measure or weigh my food. It only takes a few seconds and it's worth it. I know it gets overwhelming at the end of the day...especially at that age, but it's something you need to do! Good luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids myself, but I have a friend who I admire VERY much for her parenting style. Each day she plays with her kids - they run around the backyard, throw balls, dance. They use their imaginations (a toy golf club is a golf club, a horse, a wand), they wrestle (not too roughly, and when it gets out of hand they move on to something else), they go for walks to the park, ride bikes.

I spent the day with them and was absolutely exhausted from all the playing. It really was an awesome workout!
  • rachel1496
    Options
    I splurged on a good double jogging stroller for my kids (3 and 1) and I take it out on 4-5K walks daily. I do Wii workouts during naptime if it's raining.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 2 year old and a 3 year old. The best way I find is to wake up early, I made a routine of waking up at 4:30am-5am to get my workouts in before they wake up. If I sleep in then I try to workout with them, give them enough toys to play with plus they like the videos I do and workout with mommy...lol. Going for walks is great also just playing games with them is a great workout, they are quick!! =)
  • Beth_M217
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I never thought to include him in my structured workout, it's so obviously simple I don't know why didn't I think of it. We also spend a lot of time outside running around, kicking a soccer ball or throwing a football - I guess that's exercise too!