Allotted calories What should I do?

Options
I found the link that I should have read first prior to posting this explaining everything (conveniently listed as newbies read this first). Thank you everyone!

Hello! I'm new and I wanted some clarification on the allotted calories. I get 1200 calories per day but that increases if I exercise. Should I always just shoot for 1200 calories period? or will I still lose weight if I allow more calories depending on how much I exercise.

I don't want to sabotage myself into eating the max amount of food allowed just because I exercised that day. I'm assuming I will lose faster if I stick to the 1200 calorie limit. Just confused and I don't want to mess up.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll still lose weight if you eat your exercise calories, but just to be safe, only eat back like half or so... unless you're still hungry because you never know how accurate your burn numbers are... 1200 is pretty low anyway. :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1200 and part or all of your exercise calories as well. MFP has a deficit built in so even if you eat more it'll be there if you are at 1200 + exercise calories.

If you are close (within 20ish pounds) of your goal you should put in to lose .5 lb/week and expect your loss to be a bit slower. It's just part of the process.
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For 6 months or so I ate my exercise calories back and I only lost about 5-10 lbs. I exercised 5 days and still do. I think I am one of those people who can't eat their exercise calories. I am trying not to eat them and see what happens. Most people on MFP will recommend you eat your exercise calories because your body will go into starvation mode and it will be harder for you to lose weight. Find out what works for you! What works for someone else may not work for you! Good luck!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    most say you are supposed to eat your exercise calories, mfp already figures in a deficit. Some will say don't, you just need to expirement and see what works for you
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you to eat back some of the calories, some of the time. I make sure that I consume at least 1200 net calories a day. If you exercise too much and don't eat enough--after awhile your metabolism won't be as efficient. Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If 1200 calories (without exercise) puts you at a 1000 calorie deficit, then you should definitely eat all of your exercise calories back.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I found the link that I should have read first prior to posting this explaining everything (conveniently listed as newbies read this first). Thank you everyone!