Low Cal Lentils Recipes

Options
Ezada
Ezada Posts: 207 Member
I have discovered a recent love of lentils, but how to prepare them is pretty much beyond me. I steamed them tonight with a vegetable seasoning and cayenne pepper, steamed some zuchinni, mixed them all together and put a bit of butter on it. It is SO delicious.

I am searching online too but would love to hear some recipes from everyone!

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Loove lentils - here is my absolute current favorite (you can substitute the lamb with beef or chicken)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz?month=201106
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Gosh you can do so much with lentils, they are great.
    I use them instead of mince in recipes and I also put them in soup. Actually I put lentils in most things because they are easy to hide so my kids get all the benefits without any of the whinging :)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    My favorite is red lentils in dal. Yum!

I've also used them to make taco fillingm soups, lentil rice pilaf.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i just made lentil soup and its great,

i put 1 cup of dry lentils in my slow cooker, 1 cup of cilantro, 2tbs of tomato paste....1tbs onion powder, salt, few cherry tomatoes cut in half...added 2 cups of water and let it simmer for a few hours....it was delicious....
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lover of lentils here!

I make this more in the cooler weather, but it's great : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Indian-Dahl-with-Spinach/Detail.aspx

keep posting recipes!
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Lentils are awesome. Sounds like you made a pretty good meal with them, actually! :)
  • AJelinski
    Options
    If you like Indian food, try this. An Indian lady gave me the recipe. It's delish.

1 cup dry lentils
    1 medium to large onion (chopped super finely, almost to crushed)
    1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Curry powder (to taste)

Prepare 1 cup dry lentils according to directions, draining off any remaining water. Set aside 1/2 of the cooked amount. Mash the other 1/2 cup. In skillet add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. When hot add the onion and sauté. Add curry powder (to taste...I like more than less, but you need to add it a little at a time). Add crushed tomatoes and the mashed lentils. Heat and simmer for several minutes stirring regularly. Add remaining lentils and simmer approximately two more minutes. If there is not enough curry flavor for you just sprinkle in some more, stir and taste till there's enough. You're done. It's great over Basmati rice.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My two favorite lentil recipes:

1. http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-soup-for-people-who-thought-they-hated-lentils-meat-op-99564

2. LENTIL RICE SALAD
    --Cook 1/2 bag lentils with 2 C veggie broth. Cook 1 C brown rice with 2 1/2 C water. Let cool and combine.
    --Slightly cook or grill crunchy veggies of your choice: red onion, peppers, celery, carrots, etc.
    --Mix Chili Dressing: 3/4 C (or a little less) olive oil, 1/4 C red wine vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp ea salt, chili powder, oregeno, and 1/4 tsp cumin.
    --Combine all and serve cold or at room temperature.

2 lentil recipes I want to try:

LENTIL SALAD WITH CURRIED MANGO DRESSING
    o 1 1/2 cups lentils
    o 1 cup onions, chopped
    o 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    o 4 cups water
    o 1 cup red bell peppers, finely chopped ( can use green)
    o 1 cup celery, finely chopped
    o 1 cup red onions, finely chopped
    Curried Mango Yogurt Dressing
    o 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt or 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
    o 3 tablespoons prepared mango chutney ( I LOVE Trader Joes!)
    o 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    o 2 teaspoons red onions, finely minced
    o 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    Directions
    1. In a saucepan, combine lentils, white onions, garlic, and water. Cover, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender but not mushy.
    2. Meanwhile, combine bell peppers, celery, and red onions in nonreactive bowl. When lentils are cooked, drain and add them while hot to the bowl. Stir and set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine all of the yogurt dressing ingredients. Stir the dressing into the lentils and serve

GARDEN VEGETABLE LENTIL SALAD

• 1 cup cooked lentils
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
    • 1/2 large yellow pepper, finely chopped
    • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
    • 1 carrots, finely chopped
    • 1 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 cup fresh peas
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/16-1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/4 cup fresh mint or 1/4 cup fresh coriander,

• 1 Place lentils in a large salad bowl.
    • 2 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeño, pepper and peas. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to lentils.
    • 3 In a bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon oil with lemon juice, cumin, salt and cayenne, if using. Stir into salad. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    These all sound delicious! Thank you ! :D