What do you put in your Oat meal?

Options
124»

Replies

• altushe
    altushe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal and used to avoid it (pre-weight loss and MFP) since overloading on carbs set me up for an overeating "binge". Now, I eat it twice a day - a double portion each time! I eat regular rolled oats (not quick/instant), steel cut, and multigrain (from Trader Joe's) and vary between 1 tablespoon peanut butter, almond butter or 2oz. farmer cheese (like cottage cheese but no salt and not as wet). I look forward to it for breakfast everyday and sometimes as dessert after dinner. To make it more "voluminous", I cook for about 10 minutes on a simmer/slight boil and then let it sit overnight or a few hours with the cover on the pot. The oats poof up and then you just heat up in a microwave with toppings of choice (or some people like cold). Yummy and more filling!
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my "fav" is, fresh/frozen.....mango & blueberries, some chopped walnuts & a good dash of cinnamon!! Oh......I use the old fashion oats or steel cut. Keeps me full for hours =O
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I gotta try that pumpkin idea. Yum! Here are my two go-to oatmeals:

cook with:
    craisins
    dried blueberries
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    pinch o salt
    flax seed meal
    then add vanilla soymilk after cooking

cook with:
    flax seed meal
    pinch o salt
    then add
    1T almond butter
    1/2 banana, sliced
    vanilla soymilk

yum. and super filling.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    splenda and cinnamon

splenda and frozen blueberries (also instead of water in this combo, I use ocean spray diet blueberry juice (5 calories for 8oz))

splenda and pb2
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    Gotta try this peanut butter deal tomorrow...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/07/03/kozyshack-oatmeal-pudding/
    (credit to Lakergreat1 for the link :smile:)

Just trying the above now :)

My regular is:
    cocoa, natural pb, vanilla casein. (have this everyday)

Otherwise:
    any sf pudding mix

Also added some coconut oil.

Have done the pumpkin/cinnamon one but we don't get canned pumpkin here so it's a bit of work :tongue: Was good though.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder, blue berries and cinnamon - it's like dessert for breakfast! x
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I mostly stick to fruits (bananas, strawberries, and blueberries). If I want a treat, I will put a tbsp of peanut butter and a dash of artificial sweetener in my oatmeal. That combo usually takes care of any sweet cravings I might be having.
  • MJStory
    Options
    I don't eat oatmeal very often, but when I do:

I use brown sugar twin, or a little molasses with any low calorie sweetener. I like raisins in anything, especially with oats in any form. Experiment with adding different fruits, alone or in combination; pick fruit grown locally that's in season. Use your imagination!

You know that grains in general go with anything. Add bacon bits or a little ham with your fruit to mix it up. You can even use cheese: cheddar melts for a savory flavor, or sprinkle with parmesan. Herbs & spices of different kinds can bring a delicious bouquet to enhance your oatmeal dish. The whole spectrum of spices can be used: cinnamon to chives.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to make breakfast my largest meal. About a month ago I switched from oatmeal to quinoa flakes. Took a couple to tries, but now I love it. I add:
    1/4 cup quinoa flakes
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    cinnamon
    coconut sweetener
    a small handful of not nuts trail mix
    ..and microwave
    after, I mix in 1 tbsp sprouted flax seed and goji berries with 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
    sound wierd, but healthy and good. keeps me going from 8 until lunch at 12.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer oat bran. It's similar, but I prefer the texture and taste and it has more protein and fiber than old-fashioned oats.

I make it with 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 cup light soy milk, cinnamon, a teaspoon of brown sugar and a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    http://www.tastespotting.com/features/tag/oatmeal-project/page/6

The oatmeal project, oatmeal 28 ways!!! Love the ideas on this site. Savory oatmeal...who knew!

My favorite is cooked in the microwave with milk (skim or whole+water) and freeze dried strawberries, no sugar. This morning I had a mashed banana in mine, cooked with water in the microwave. I used whole rolled oats. cooked for about 1.5 minutes. Adding an egg or egg whites is a great way to add more protein and it gives it a really smooth texture.