anybody here with back problems?

I've been here for a while on MFP and haven't had really any problems working out. Well this weekend I woke up with excrutiating back pain and sciatic nerve pain that would shoot down my leg. It was so bad that I couldn't hardly walk...I know the pain is coming from an old injury that I got when I was 16. I have a bulging disk in my back that presses on my sciatic nerve when it gets irritated. I don't know how I irritated it all I know is that I did. As much as it pains me I have accepted the fact that I will never be able to jump on a trampoline anymore and that I will never be able to jump rope again. I thought that since yoga is supposed to be good for stretching and is low impact but it was during a yoga exercise a few months ago that I initially re-injured my back. I babied it for a few weeks and all was good. This is the most severe flair up I have had. I was just wondering who else on here has back problems with sciatic nerve pain and what do you do for work outs that give you a great workout but don't cause flair ups?

Replies

• walking walking walking!
    also the elliptical is good when you have less pain, but for now, try to reduce the inflammation. if mine flares up, i typically stay on IBProfin for a whole week constantly to let the meds reduce the inflammation and then re-assess where i am.
    Good luck and DM me if you want to chat further...i've had 2 L5-S1 surgeries for severe herniations.
    A
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    I have lots of back problems. I get steroid injections, which help (1x a year). I can pretty much only ride a recumbent bike and do a nordic track (that old cross country ski thing). I got both on Craigslist. I also just go a Total Gym for some no impact way to do squats and some lunges. I have tried over the years to do videos (30-day shred, the FIRM, etc.) and jog. I finally came to terms that the recumbent bike is the only thing that I am guaranteed to have zero back pain. I also can't do yoga or pilates or anything with twisting. It stinks.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    I have the same problem...

I have mega anti inflammatory pills from the doc... Feel better!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    I find that walking makes my back so much worse. I have spondlylisthesis, scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, and some bulging disks. Very annoying b/c I am young(ish) and never injured anything!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    thanks for the ideas all! I've been taking ibuprofen and it has been helping with the pain. It's just annoying because so many different exercises that I want to do so bad will hurt my back. :( It's nice to know I'm not alone though.