Need food ideas for my 1230 cal goal..I'm burnt out!

Options
I do the same things day in, day out...protein bar here, apple there, small things so I can eat every few hours. I'm getting tired of the same small calorie things. :( It's very difficult finding foods that are low cal and filling without spending an arm and a leg. I'm still doing it, no matter what, I just need a variety because the same fat-free tuna salad kits and protein bars are getting harder to swallow!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bump...I tend to eat the same things repeatedly as well.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    1230 calories per day seems very low :S
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I feel the same, I'm on a 1200 cal a day.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I love the "exercist" banner! Awesome!
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    What about chips and salsa? I love that as a snack! And with garden produce right now, I make my own salsa which is hardly any calories.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Roasted soy nuts are great, so are walnuts and almonds. A piece or two of dried fruit goes well with nuts. Have a little cheese and a few healthy crackers alongside a salad. Make (or buy) some lemon-garlic hummus and dip sliced cauliflower in it. Hope this helps!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    one of my favorites lately is a wrap. I use:

no lard flour tortillas (trader joes gives you 8 big ones for 2.99) - 140 cal
    50/50 Spring Salad Mix (any salad mix will do, I get it for 1 to 2 dollars a bag - 20 cal
    Kraft Light Parmesan Asiago Vinagrette (bout 2 bucks a bottle) - 40 cal
    Any shredded cheese I might have
    Any lunch meat I might have

Sticking to one serving of cheese and meat per wrap I make a pretty big filling wrap for about 300 to 350 calories. I'm a big guy and it satisfies me, so you could just make one, cut it in halves or thirds and spread it throughout the day.

Relatively cheap IMO as well. You could make 8 large wraps for about 1 buck each or a little more. When I have chopped veggies around I throw some of those in there as well and add more crunch.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diaries. I didn't do well this passed weekend but did well for weeks before that. I'm not bored yet.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    These are good and nutritious!

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-pancakes-43072

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary, vegetables are awesome. It also looks like you are really undereating a lot of the time. ..more fruit would also help.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at my 1,200 calorie goal. I actually manually upped my intake by a few hundred to give me some extra room. I've been trying to eat protein-rich foods, like hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese, chobani greek yogurt, trail mix (but I actually pre-measure a serving size in plastic baggies so I don't sit there and eat the entire bag in one sitting which usually = over a thousand cals). They really fill me up! Since upping my intake I actually feel much better mentally and physically, and I have actually lost a little weight. Maybe you can consider that :)
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    One of my most filling snacks is a whole grapefruit w/ a string cheese, or laughing cow. I'm on 1300 calories, take a peek at my diary. :)
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, the diary shows you like to stick with easier food options, which is understandable, but can limit your options as far as nutrition and variety.

I try to make my own food most of the time instead of relying on kits and so forth. I'd much rather have a large filling salad for lunch than a protein bar.

Another thing I do is only buy what's on sale as far as fruits and veggies go every week. It saves me money, allows me to eat healthier, and gives me plenty of variety as it's usually something new. This week for instance I need to figure out what to do with squash, zuccini, and kale, but they were on sale and things I don't usually eat so at least I will be trying something new.
  • charsauce
    Options
    Little accommodations to foods can do wonders! For example, adding black beans to salads! Low fat and loaded with protein.

Also, low calorie peanut butter: Better'n Peanut Butter is DELICIOUS and great on whole wheat toast.

Just check out other peoples diaries and see what they're eating. Look for foods high in protein/fiber and fat. Nuts are great.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    here's the best brainstorm I can do at 11:30 p.m. when my brain is fuzzy :)

... Greek yogurt. 130 cal/cup of the nonfat stuff. Ridiculous amounts of protein (so filling). Also, delicious. Good with ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup strawberries and half a packet of Splenda. Great snack and all together ~155 calories
    ... My uber-filling breakfast that falls around ~300-315 calories. 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup regular plain yogurt (both nonfat), 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup go lean cereal on top (the original kind that's 140 cal/cup). Plus a vitamuffin (either regular or sugar free - chocolate is my favorite)
    ... An english muffin (whole wheat with lots of protein are 120 calories if you buy the Thomas' brand) + 1 tbsp of PB (filling fat!) + 1 banana = ~300 calories
    ... 1 cup whole wheat pasta + 2 oz chicken breast + low calorie tomato sauce. ~300 calories (I think. Maybe a touch higher. Make homemade tomato sauce just by cooking down a bunch of really ripe tomatoes. Add in some baby spinach and you have super delicious and really low calorie sauce, without all the sodium that there typically is in jarred tomato sauce. Go for all 4 oz of chicken breast - a typical serving - and you'd still only be around 400 calories).
    ... High fiber nut/fruit medley cereal from trader joe's. 135 calories in one cup and insane amounts of fiber, which will expand in your tummy and make you feel really full.
    ... Morningstar buffalo "chick'n" patties. High in sodium? Yes. But in moderation, I say go for it. Super high in protein, really tasty. Only 140 calories a piece.
    ... Two scrambled eggs + 1 cup your favorite fruit + cereal = deliciousness for few calories (depending on your cereal and fruit of choice).
    ... Egg whites. 1 cup has 100-120 calories. That's it. And TONS of protein. Scramble in your favorite veggies and maybe even top with your favorite cheese. Presto! A delicious breakfast or dinner that will be REALLY filling and REALLY low calorie.
    ... I know you're sick of protein bars, but have you found the "ThinkThin" brand? I just discovered them. Most flavors are 230 calories a bar, with 20 grams of protein. I find them a) really tasty and b) quite filling, particularly post-workout.
    ... Protein powder (biochem natural flavor has vanilla flavor in it and is only 90 cal a scoop) + 1 cup skim milk + 2 tbsp hershey's sugar free syrup = 185 calories. And so filling you won't want to eat for a couple hours. Also great post-workout for muscle recovery.
    ... These pancakes: http://www.integralfuel.com/integralfuel.com/Blog/Entries/2011/3/12_Protein_Pancakes.html
    ... Thin chicken breast. Lay it out and in the middle put spinach, cheese (I go with 1 tbsp parmesan), and some cooked onion. Roll it all together and bake till the chicken is cooked. Yum.
    ... These calzones: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-calzones-with-blue-cheese-10000000223649/
    ... just about anything else on cooking light's website, for that matter
    ... stir fry (something I particularly love to do when the veggies in my fridge are starting to age). Tossing a bunch of veggies together with some chicken/beef/tofu/shrimp and cooking in 1 tsp of olive oil is great. You cover carbs, fat, and protein all in one dish and you only get one pan dirty.

I'll have to keep thinking (feel free to check out my diary, too).
  • r_drie
    r_drie Posts: 19
    Options
    Wraps are amazing! You can get Weight Watcher wraps or Dempsters Smart Choice ones and they have very little calories, I put meat, cheese, and lettuce in mine and love them. Also, we eat a fair bit of Indian food and surprisingly enough it's not that bad, especially the vegetarian recipes. Check out something called Manjula's Kitchen. I am only suppose to eat 1230 calories as well but when I exercise I get those few extra calories and I love them! I still try to stay under my calorie goal but try really hard to not under eat cause that puts your body into starvation mode and that's no good. Hope this helps a little.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have about the same goals... and recently I had heard of a cookbook by Hungry Girl.. 300 under 300.. and 300 and under meals are the main part of my day.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! :) It gives me hope! Lol! Like another friend of mine, we find ourselves under-eating because we just can't tolerate the same things. I fudged over the weekend, and thankfully didn't gain an ounce! YAY! I love yogurt...but my kids seem to steal it from the fridge and leave me high and dry! LOL!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    this is a challenge, i have a hard time with it too and i have way more calories i can still eat! I do find an egg or couple egg whites with a pinch of parmesan or feta and a handful of spinach thrown in is really good.

Hummus with baby carrots, zucchinni, etc.

Cucumber slices with some homemade crab salad

Laughing cow cheese with an apple

English muffin with just about anything i can spread on it.

Greek yogurt (fage 0%) with some fruit preserves and a sprinkle of nuts

Corn tortilla with a shmear of light cream cheese and a bit of smoked salmon and capers. I can do anything with a corn tortilla

I love shrimp, so shrimp is always a go to!

Soup

Oatmeal with nuts in it

And ya, thats about the best i can do too - you should check out the hungry girl cookbooks if you are just looking for convenient tasty snacks (not necessarily super healthy in my book).