BUMP...AAH!

Options
I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I get irritated when all people write is the comment, "Bump". It would be a little more helpful and encouraging to communicate a little more detail than that. Does it bother anyone else?

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    People put "BUMP" so that they will be able to conveniently pull the question/article up again at a later time...
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me because I have been on message boards since the late 90's and it's just part of the lingo.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    They're doing that as a marker so they can easily find the thread later. So, no, it doesn't bother me.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    You have no idea how tempted I was to just comment with "bump."

Sometimes I like to bump posts because I'm interested in what else will be said, or if I can't offer anything and see that a post could use more attention, has been left uncommented, I'll say "bump" in hopes someone else can contribute something. *cue bystander effect*
  • DarcieC2389
    Options
    I have been on message boards and the internet for over a decade and I have seen the lingo also. It just seems like such a useless comment to me.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think people who think it is a useless 'comment' doesn't actually know what it means to bump... (also, if you had a comment, then there wouldn't be any need to bump it! :tongue: )
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have been on message boards and the internet for over a decade and I have seen the lingo also. It just seems like such a useless comment to me.

If you notice on your profile to the lower left of the page, you can see a list of topics that you have responded to...If you "BUMP" a topic that interests you, however, you haven't the time to comment or read it completely, 'bumping' it will save it as a topic that you responded to so that you can go back to it...Simple as that... :flowerforyou:
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to add a lil to most of my "Bumps", sometimes I just don't have the time or I don't have anything to contribute at that moment and I'm really interested in the thread. No I'm not offended but it at all, it's intended as a reference marker.
  • laureneva15
    Options
    You have no idea how tempted I was to just comment with "bump."

Sometimes I like to bump posts because I'm interested in what else will be said, or if I can't offer anything and see that a post could use more attention, has been left uncommented, I'll say "bump" in hopes someone else can contribute something. *cue bystander effect*

Bump.

Its the reason why I do it.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    you aren't used to it yet? hmmmmm......I am reminded of The Princess and the Pea :laugh:
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to add a lil to most of my "Bumps", sometimes I just don't have the time or I don't have anything to contribute at that moment and I'm really interested in the thread. No I'm not offended but it at all, it's intended as a reference marker.

Oops that should read "No I'm not offended *by it at all...."
  • maryloomis
    Options
    I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I get irritated when all people write is the comment, "Bump". It would be a little more helpful and encouraging to communicate a little more detail than that. Does it bother anyone else?

I am fairly new here and asked a couple of days ago why people do that. The answer I received is that it keeps the thread near the top on the message boards.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump: [buhmp] verb (used with object)
    1. to bring nothing to the table but have interest in those that do: He bumped this post to see what people REALLY had to say.