jog/walk ... need help

Options
I've got my back inflammation under control and have incorporated walk/jog into my exercise. The problem I'm having is that about 1/2 hour 45 minutes later, I am really hungry with hunger pains. I am running in the evening because it is so hot and humid here. It seems so useless to do this then absolutely have to eat because I can't sleep because of hunger pains. What suggestion do you guys have? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrated well before and during? I know if I slack on water consumption, I tend to mis-interpret thirsty as hungry after a run. And running in the heat really makes this worse.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I usually save enough calories to follow with a small snack which helps.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat every single night before I go to bed. If you're so hungry that you can't sleep - by all means... EAT! The best advice I've gotten that helped me learn if my body is thirsty or hungry?

Drink at least 8oz of water and wait for 20-30 mins. If you are still hungry - then it is true hunger and you need to eat. If you feel better after drinking the water (I tend to drink 20oz vs 8oz) - then you were probably dehydrated. Drink more water.
  • mrmurfman
    Options
    I usually save enough calories to follow with a small snack which helps.

same
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No, it's not counterproductive. You burn energy, you need to refuel! DUH! Have some protein afterwards to rebuild your muscles, help with soreness, and keep you full. It takes the body so long to break down protein that it's totally fine to eat it before you go to bed. Try a protein shake or bar, or just some lean proten such as chicken, fish, etc. I would eat a little bit of carbs too to replace some of what you burned off.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Gu? A lot of runners use it on their long runs. It's 100 calories of carbohydrates (it's meant to refuel), and on runs, they take them ever 4 miles or so (varies depending on runner). There are other similar types of things that can be found at running stores or general athletic stores (like Sports Authority). You might consider using something like this on runs to stave off hunger.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    eat back your exercise calories with a healthy snack, maybe some peanut butter? drink more water - eat more protein before your walks
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    It's possible you have your calories set too low, or you are not eating enough of the right types of foods. If you drink water and you're still hungry, maybe you need to start paying attention to the types of foods you are eating during the day.

I'm almost never hungry, and have to really remember to eat. This from someone who used to go over by 500-800 calories every day. I cut back carbs and increased protein, and this has made all the difference. Make sure you are getting enough fiber as well, it helps you stay full and helps digestion.
  • Jackiemckee
    Options
    yes.........drink more water and save some calories to have a light snack.. :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I just went to your Food Diary, and you have nothing entered for food. How do you know you are eating enough and enough of the right foods. We can't help if you don't fill in a food log.
  • charsauce
    Options
    WATER expands your stomach and makes you feel full. Although, if you are struggling to sleep, perhaps you should just eat something. Your body is hungry, so feed it. Try a couple carrot sticks, cucumber slices or something healthy/low calories like that to get you through the night.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I would eat some carbohydrates before your walk/jog to help fuel you. Perhaps a glass of chocolate milk after.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Eat, woman, eat