How did YOU determine your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I calculated my weight from my goal body fat percentage.

same here
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Goal weight based on body fat percentage.
    Ditto!

And I picked that body fat percentage based on what I thought would make me look toned/athletic but still be fairly easy to maintain.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Top end of normal bmi. I know my lightest and looked ill and grey so not going back there. 10 kg down, half way there!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Same here. There's a calculator here if you don't want to do the math. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

Wow. Before I had always gone on my BMI and wanted a goal weight of 60kg (which puts me in the middle of normal).

Just went on this site and put in what I believe my BFP is (according to my scales - I've never done the calliper testing or any other) and put a goal BFP according to their charts on what would be the lower middle of normal...and my goal weight is....60kg!
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Between my Dr & myself we came up with my weight based on what it was beginning of this year. I wish I could say what I weighted in High School that was size 0-3 I weighted 95-100 back then now I'm 38 yrs old I will never see that size again, my goal weight is 130-135, I gained weight rapidly due to medical then surgery.... So just aiming to get into my normal clothes I already have.

But since I've been on MFP I'm starting to lean more towards just FITTING into my clothes not the actual numbers on the scale, inches/toning I could still weight more and slim down!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.... STAY POSITIVE:)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror, if I can see my abs, I'm there.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I was 120 before I met my boyfriend so partly going from that and partly BMI/ideal weight for my height.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight. I think its a bad idea.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I used the upper end of correct weight of my BMI.

Ill be happy if i get near it due to putting on muscle etc. from running and all the working out i do that i didnt take into consideration when calculating my target weight.

We'll see :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I determined my "goal weight" because it's slightly above the middle of my "healthy" BMI range. I tend to be heavier than I look, so I don't want to be too thin.

I actually don't care much about the actual pounds at this point though. I'm glad I've lost what I've lost, because I needed to, but now I'm more concerned with my body fat percentage. I need more muscle, and if I end up seeing higher numbers on the scale but lower body fat, I'd be ok with that.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i have old pictures of me that i want to look like..It's when my legs look they way i like..since I'm a 'pear' that's the last place to go!!! Of course the pictues I'm referring to are 14 years old!!..so who knows if I'll ever get there again! :ohwell: it's funny..in all my pictures I can pretty much tell you what I weighed..that's obsessive right?
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Based it off of what I weighed prior to my hypothyroid diagnosis and also looking more at Body Fat Percentage than anything else. I want to be lean and have a low BFP, but that also means I won't be 120 like I used to becasue back then I had no muscle at all! BUt I am pretty happy where I am at, 135 5 pounds above my goal. I really just want to keep toning up, especially my triceps and abs.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    im doing it so im in the middle of my BMI range :) xx
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMI is such a terrible indicator for actual healthy weight. If I dropped down to 0% body fat I'd still be 3 or 4 pounds overweight according to the BMI scale. If I want to get into a normal range for BMI I'd have to purposely lose muscle mass, why would I want to do that? BMI actually works for so few people, I don't understand how it got so popular. Most professional athletes and pro bodybuilders are considered overweight to obese according to the BMI scale, it's completely useless.

Does this guy look obese? His BMI is 35.0, which is very obese.

BrockLesnar.jpg
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well, before I had kids at age 22, I was 120 lbs...too skinny. I really don't want to be that skinny again (37 yrs old now) as when I look back at pics of me THEN I look sick. Before I started REALLY gaining weight I was around 135 - 140, which is my healthy weight. For now though, I am basing my goal weight little by little as it seems I do better that way. Small goals of 10 lbs or so lost work best for me. My first short term goal, 160 lbs., would get me to a little above healthy weight. I'll see how i feel then and go from there.
  • Mentzerj
    Mentzerj Posts: 44
    Options
    I did same as a lot of other folks here - when I first started with my trainer we did the complete work up, weight, measurements, etc. I don't really have a goal weight, so much as a goal body fat percentage. Granted, with a goal body fat percentage you can work backwards to a goal weight, main goal really is just to get to that BFP while maintaining lean mass, so doing that is how I put in my #'s here on MFP.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have goal body measurements and since I've met those goals three times in the past five years before slacking into slothfulness and undoing all of my efforts, I know the weight that I need to be in order to have the body that I want.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be high school weight which was 100-105 I just want to look toned and healthy not really about how much I weigh but how I look., and feel
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I calculated my weight from my goal body fat percentage.
    Same here. There's a calculator here if you don't want to do the math. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

wow i just used this and its saying i should aim for a stone heavier than my goal bmi weight hehe
  • DarcieC2389
    Options
    I picked something toward the top of weight range. I have lost over 30 lbs before and know what would be too much weight loss for my frame and body. I do not want to simply look skinny. I wanted a realistic goal. My dr even agreed that even being ten pounds over the top of my wt. range would still be appropriate for me.