Question for runners . . .

Options
So I've decided to start running, because I've heard that it has really great health benefits. I went to the Student Activity Center on campus to run their indoor track . . . but I'm not sure how long it is. I tried timing a lap at a mild run, something between an all-out run and my normal pendantic jog, and I made a lap in 52 seconds. I'm thinking it's a 1/8 of a mile track but I'm not sure, does that sound about right? (My roommate worked there for four years and she's not sure, she thinks it's close though). Also, I ran/walked alternately for about an hour last Saturday and I'm STILL sore! Is that normal?? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So I've decided to start running, because I've heard that it has really great health benefits. I went to the Student Activity Center on campus to run their indoor track . . . but I'm not sure how long it is. I tried timing a lap at a mild run, something between an all-out run and my normal pendantic jog, and I made a lap in 52 seconds. I'm thinking it's a 1/8 of a mile track but I'm not sure, does that sound about right? (My roommate worked there for four years and she's not sure, she thinks it's close though). Also, I ran/walked alternately for about an hour last Saturday and I'm STILL sore! Is that normal?? Thanks everyone!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level, 1/8 mile in 52 seconds is a relatively brisk run, but certainly a reasonable estimate. There must be some manager or someone who knows (or can find out) what the actual distance is.
    As far as the soreness, you should be over that by now. you may have gone too fast on your run portions, may not have warmed up adequately, but I bet you didn't make a point of doing a good cool down and stretch after the work out. You should also get a 'recovery meal' with adequate protein and carbs to help regenerate your muscles after your work out, and drink lots of fluids. If you are sore after a work out like that ,you should get a good brisk walk in the next day to stimulate circulation in your sore muscles, and get another good stretch in too.