Riots in Croydon – I am so so sad I could cry

Options

Replies

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options

same up here, when I was younger we used to drink (underage) in little hidden places, not bothering anyone, and they used to actively hunt us down because they knew that we, being decent human beings and all, wouldn't put up much of a fight - but there were huge crews of chavs (the same age) also underage drinking, fighting, beating people up, stealing, vandalising and they did nothing about it because there was a chance they'd actually have to do their jobs

OT I know... under age drinking is a crime, therefore you were committing the same crime as the 'chavs'.

I find it appalling that so many of you think so little of our Police force!

I'd like to see you (general you) do their job, with all the restrictions that are in place. Having petrol bombs, fireworks, bricks all thrown at you.

Do you not think that for one second, they'd all like to open fire and stop the looting/violence etc?! However, all of the red tape, and R&Rs they have no choice but to react the way they are reacting.

Violence will never solve violence, it only makes it worse!

Agreed with what you say there, they don't have weapons they can hurl at people they have a riot sheild and a baton. The news has been very down on the police the past day or so, but I think they are doing the best they can in the circumstances.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just googled what happened because i hadn't heard a thing.. I don't turn on tv much.. I guess that could happen anywhere, I will have to read to find out what angered these people so much :(

they it all started with a policeman shooting this teenager and it angered everyone, well the policeman wouldn't have had to shoot if the said teenager hadn't been shooting at the police in the first place!! Now it has just got way out of hand and most of them are youths no more 10 years old!! Now i believe that if these young children understand what they are doing enough to cover their faces with hoodies and scarves then they are old enough to face to consequences of prison!

Not exactly true...

It started after a policeman hit a 16 year old girl who was just speaking to him, at the peaceful demonstration about the shooting of the young man in North London.

The man in question DID have a gun on him, BUT the gun was a blank firing pistol and could't fire any bullets.... GUESS WHAT.... the police have lied.... which isn't a first...!

Also, there are witnesses that are saying that the man was lying face-down when he was shot....

All the other rioting that took place away from the demonstration is just mindless & opportunistic...!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I see "Call me Dave" has given a press conference outside Downing Street saying that the looters will feel the full force of the law.

Errrr that's great Dave but where do you intend to put them considering the jails are full? Sheesh. I think not involving the army at this stage is a good idea and having the Police at full capacity on the streets should hopefully do the trick.

You know what we really need though? A torrential downpour. I wonder how many of the looters would be bothered being out on the streets if they thought they would get their trainers dirty or their overly gelled hair wet? My guess is...none. They'll probably just stay indoors eating digestives, sipping tea and watching Jeremy Kyle.

*self editing out rude word*

That's exactly what I was thinking last night.... while watching the fires in Croydon & Clapham... that if it rained, it would force the looters off the street
  • roointheuk
    Options
    I came home from holiday to be greeted by the news that all over London and then the country pockets of opportunistic thieves not protesters I hasten to add, destroy, bully and rob from their own community. They have no excuse its not mindless at all, they have a mind to choose the most negative path they can. To the lady who began this post I salute the work you do!! To the police and emergency services who are risking their lives to save innocent bystanders we are grateful.

This is a brave woman!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=6SHKhvVjLIc

twitter is being used to bring people together to clean up, I wonder whether it would bring enough people together to stand up against them and protect their community.
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    To all of you who have been directly affected by this- my heart goes out to you. Terrifying. I used to live in South London when I was a student at Kings- Coldharbour Lane, Herne Hill, East Dulwich etc. My husband did his medical training at Kings, Dulwich and Mayday. We lived there just after the last lot of riots in Brixton and there were still scars for ages afterwards- physical and psychological. I truly believe if we can contain this with as little violence as possible, the country will recover the quicker.
    I see Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Leeds also had trouble. I live in Sheffield, which thankfully hasn't had any trouble- yet.

I hope to God those poor people were insured. And that the bl**dy insurance companies pay up.

The thoughts of the rest of the country are with you.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The guy who was shot in croydon has now passed away, so so sad

What were the circumstances of this shooting?? Police...or others? Another trigger (no pun intended - couldn't think of another expression) for further rioting.....? So unnecessary :angry:

Sue :smile: x
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Partners store has been told to close its doors at 5 so staff can get home incase it starts up. Its all the stores within the M25 that have to close. My town is now on alert??
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for you and every other innocent in the UK. I wish you all had the means to defend your lives and property from these thugs.

Over here in the US we are waiting for something similar. Eventually our lavish dole will have to be cut to help bring our deficit under control and cities will burn. I do not live far from a major city and am maybe 15-20 minutes down the road from thug town. In my case there will be bodies at the perimeter as I will defend my family and property.

Keep safe over there!
  • roointheuk
    Options
    The guy who was shot in croydon has now passed away, so so sad

What were the circumstances of this shooting?? Police...or others? Another trigger (no pun intended - couldn't think of another expression) for further rioting.....? So unnecessary :angry:

Sue :smile: x
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It's just absolutely mental. I can't believe how quickly it has escalated.

Sadly I don't think this is the last of it.

And the government want to lose 30,000+ police officers? What a joke.
  • roointheuk
    Options
    Sue the guy who died today was shot in his car in Croydon by persons unknown. not by the police however, cowardly and sad. There is no excuse. My town appears to be on alert for trouble later too. I hope that this is unfounded and being spread by troublemakers.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Was the shooting in Croydon anything to do with the riots though?

I cannot find any info on BBC or Sky?
  • roointheuk
    Options
    it was apparently during the riot in croydon last night. link to bbc below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14462693
  • Terri73
    Options
    Crews gather in soho at the moment. Ready for the next round???
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    they dont know who shot him yet - i dont think it was police
  • Terri73
    Options
    Crews gather in soho at the moment. Ready for the next round???
    West brom closing down helicopters at the ready
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I saw a photo in the DailyMail online this morning (which has since been removed thank goodness) It has really, really made me sad. It was of a young white woman maybe in her 20`s clearly overweight and she had been forced to strip totally naked, by black youths. She was pictured talking to a police officer. Also, there is one of a young man being forced to strip by some black youths (this is still in print) I can only imagine the humiliation that she has been put through by having to go through this ordeal, but then to have her picture published and you could clearly see her face.
    This is total mindless violence and bullying and has nothing to do with young people venting their anger at the police or not having jobs.
    I don`t know what the answer is, but things will never ever be the same and racism will be worse than ever between all the cultures.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I am seriously pissed off.

There is some rioting taking place near us. We have decided to send the majority of staff home for their safety. Myself and some other guys in senior positions are staying and we have arranged for additional security over and above our usual arrangements.

Do these indolent loafers understand what inconvenience and economic damage they are causing? Damn, it would have been cheaper for us to buy them all some electrical goods rather than the loss of proft we will suffer having to shut the offices unexpectedly.

On a brighter note I can catch up on some paperwork.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Just caught up with all this - I'm from the uk.

Absolutely ridiculous! Definitely out of order the way this has spiralled out of control...

My heart goes out to all those people it has affected...prayers are with you.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's just all so frightening. Both of my children are away on holiday, my eldest is on the Kent Coast, and we're texting, he said Im not to drive down or me, him and the car will get set alight. I said I'm paying close attention to the Kent news and I will drive down to get him if **** kicks off down there.

My 8 month old is in Surrey with his grandma, my husband is on his way to get him. And Im sat in Oxford, hoping it doesnt come here :(

What a mess this country is in, this has nothing to do with Mark Duggan anymore. It's race and social class related now. What a bloody shame.