Fat Girl Running

Options
Came upon a great site, had to share!!

http://www.fatgirlfitness.com
fat%20girl%20running%20FH%20outline.jpg

¨ Don’t focus on speed

¨ Don’t compare yourself to others; run within yourself and for yourself first

¨ Know your limits and listen to your body

¨ Wear spandex shorts under your regular shorts so you don’t chafe “down there.”

¨ Cotton socks will only lead to blisters; invest in socks designed for running.

¨ Ladies, do not skimp on a bra. Even if it costs more than your shoes it’s still a bargain.

¨ Buy clothes you look good in and that will motivate you to go out.

¨ Buy new work out clothes at the end of the season when stores dump the old season’s line. Think clearance!

¨ Conscientiously share the trail with walkers, bikers and other runners.

¨ Remember that you will have plateaus in your progress and tough days along the way.

¨ It gets easier.

¨ Accept and appreciate the fact that not every single run can be a good one.

¨ Be prepared to remove the words “can’t” and “never” from your vocabulary.

¨ Don’t expect every run to be better than the last one; some of them will hurt.

¨ Don’t think too much about it or you won’t do it.

¨ Even a bad run is better then no run at all.

¨ Start a running blog and read other running blogs regularly.

¨ Running is not an excuse to triple your intake of doughnuts because runners gain weight too.

¨ Buy the powdered sports drink mix instead of premixed. It’s cheaper and more similar to race drink mixes.

¨ Hydrate. Make it a habit to drink water throughout the day.

¨ Run a route where there’s a corner store that you can use as a pit stop to pick up your water and maybe use the bathroom.

¨ Avoid eating spicy foods the night before your runs.

¨ Stick to bland foods before your runs.

¨ To aid recovery the most crucial time to eat and drink is in the hour immediately after you run.

¨ Use Vaseline or BodyGlide wherever things rub. They will help prevent blisters and chafing

¨ Log your mileage for your legs and your Shoes. Too much on either will cause you injury.

¨ Ice aches and pains immediately.

¨ Pay attention to your form. Try to run lightly to minimize impact that could lead to injury.

¨ When trail running don’t forget the bug spray.

¨ Neosporin (or another antibiotic cream) is good for chafed areas (if you didn’t use your BodyGlide!).

¨ Make sure you cut your toenails short enough so they don’t jam into your Shoes!

¨ Be careful about running on paths that force you to run consistently on a slant. It’s hard on the hips knees and IT bands.

¨ Don’t stretch before a run. Warm up by walking briskly or jogging slowly for several minutes.

¨ Do not ice for more than 20 minutes at a time.

¨ Do not use the hot tub after a race. It will increase inflammation and hinder healing.

¨ Frozen peas make a great ice pack for aches and pains. A thin t-towel wrapped around them makes the cold more comfortable.

¨ Be aware of cyclists approaching you from behind and try to keep to the right. Try to pay special attention when running with music.

¨ Run facing traffic.

¨ Never assume a car sees you.

¨ Give horses wide berths on trails and walk as you pass them unless you enjoy a hoof to the melon.

¨ Always carry I.D. because you just never know.

¨ Try shoes on in the afternoon when your feet are bigger.

¨ Doubleknot your shoe laces so they will not come undone when you run.

¨ Buy yourself some actual running shoes from an actual running store because running in junk “sneakers” will destroy your feet and your legs.

¨ Get assessed for the right kind of running shoes.

¨ If you are breathing too hard slow down or walk a bit until you feel comfortable again.

¨ Pick your route close to home (out your front door)—the more convenient it is the better chance you will have sticking with it.

¨ Set realistic short term and long term goals.

¨ Soreness one to two days after a run is normal (delayed onset muscle soreness).

¨ No amount of money spent on gadget training programs or funny food can substitute for minutes, hours, days and weeks on the road.

¨ There’s no shame in walking.

¨ Subscribe to a running magazine or pick up a book or two on running.

¨ Four laps around the local the high school track equals one mile.

¨ Lift weights.

¨ Vary your training routes. This will prevent boredom and prevent your body from getting acclimated.

¨ Push through rough spots by focusing on the sounds of your breath and feet

¨ Practice running harder in the last half of your runs.

¨ Do abdominal breathing to get rid of side cramps or “stitches.”

¨ If you can’t find the time to run, take your running gear to work.

¨ Run on trails if at all possible. It will be easier on your body and you’ll love it.

¨ Make sure you rest on your off days. Rest is just as important of an element as exercise in your fitness plan.

¨ Forgive yourself. Over-ambitious goals usually lead to frustration and giving up on your fitness plan. If you miss a goal or milestone let it go and focus on the next opportunity to get it.

¨ Dress as if it is 10 degrees warmer than the temperature on the thermometer.

¨ Wear sunscreen and a hat when the sun is beating down—even in winter.

¨ Run early in the morning or later in evening to avoid mid-day heat.

¨ To keep cool in hot weather soak a bandana in cold water wring it out a bit and tie it loosely around your neck.

¨ For hot weather fill your water bottle about half way lay it at an angle in the freezer and just before you head out for your run top it off with more water.

With that said we look forward to helping you not only set but attain your goal of completing a 5K. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem, someone else is probably thinking of the same thing.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Came upon a great site, had to share!!

http://www.fatgirlfitness.com
    fat%20girl%20running%20FH%20outline.jpg

¨ Don’t focus on speed

¨ Don’t compare yourself to others; run within yourself and for yourself first

¨ Know your limits and listen to your body

¨ Wear spandex shorts under your regular shorts so you don’t chafe “down there.”

¨ Cotton socks will only lead to blisters; invest in socks designed for running.

¨ Ladies, do not skimp on a bra. Even if it costs more than your shoes it’s still a bargain.

¨ Buy clothes you look good in and that will motivate you to go out.

¨ Buy new work out clothes at the end of the season when stores dump the old season’s line. Think clearance!

¨ Conscientiously share the trail with walkers, bikers and other runners.

¨ Remember that you will have plateaus in your progress and tough days along the way.

¨ It gets easier.

¨ Accept and appreciate the fact that not every single run can be a good one.

¨ Be prepared to remove the words “can’t” and “never” from your vocabulary.

¨ Don’t expect every run to be better than the last one; some of them will hurt.

¨ Don’t think too much about it or you won’t do it.

¨ Even a bad run is better then no run at all.

¨ Start a running blog and read other running blogs regularly.

¨ Running is not an excuse to triple your intake of doughnuts because runners gain weight too.

¨ Buy the powdered sports drink mix instead of premixed. It’s cheaper and more similar to race drink mixes.

¨ Hydrate. Make it a habit to drink water throughout the day.

¨ Run a route where there’s a corner store that you can use as a pit stop to pick up your water and maybe use the bathroom.

¨ Avoid eating spicy foods the night before your runs.

¨ Stick to bland foods before your runs.

¨ To aid recovery the most crucial time to eat and drink is in the hour immediately after you run.

¨ Use Vaseline or BodyGlide wherever things rub. They will help prevent blisters and chafing

¨ Log your mileage for your legs and your Shoes. Too much on either will cause you injury.

¨ Ice aches and pains immediately.

¨ Pay attention to your form. Try to run lightly to minimize impact that could lead to injury.

¨ When trail running don’t forget the bug spray.

¨ Neosporin (or another antibiotic cream) is good for chafed areas (if you didn’t use your BodyGlide!).

¨ Make sure you cut your toenails short enough so they don’t jam into your Shoes!

¨ Be careful about running on paths that force you to run consistently on a slant. It’s hard on the hips knees and IT bands.

¨ Don’t stretch before a run. Warm up by walking briskly or jogging slowly for several minutes.

¨ Do not ice for more than 20 minutes at a time.

¨ Do not use the hot tub after a race. It will increase inflammation and hinder healing.

¨ Frozen peas make a great ice pack for aches and pains. A thin t-towel wrapped around them makes the cold more comfortable.

¨ Be aware of cyclists approaching you from behind and try to keep to the right. Try to pay special attention when running with music.

¨ Run facing traffic.

¨ Never assume a car sees you.

¨ Give horses wide berths on trails and walk as you pass them unless you enjoy a hoof to the melon.

¨ Always carry I.D. because you just never know.

¨ Try shoes on in the afternoon when your feet are bigger.

¨ Doubleknot your shoe laces so they will not come undone when you run.

¨ Buy yourself some actual running shoes from an actual running store because running in junk “sneakers” will destroy your feet and your legs.

¨ Get assessed for the right kind of running shoes.

¨ If you are breathing too hard slow down or walk a bit until you feel comfortable again.

¨ Pick your route close to home (out your front door)—the more convenient it is the better chance you will have sticking with it.

¨ Set realistic short term and long term goals.

¨ Soreness one to two days after a run is normal (delayed onset muscle soreness).

¨ No amount of money spent on gadget training programs or funny food can substitute for minutes, hours, days and weeks on the road.

¨ There’s no shame in walking.

¨ Subscribe to a running magazine or pick up a book or two on running.

¨ Four laps around the local the high school track equals one mile.

¨ Lift weights.

¨ Vary your training routes. This will prevent boredom and prevent your body from getting acclimated.

¨ Push through rough spots by focusing on the sounds of your breath and feet

¨ Practice running harder in the last half of your runs.

¨ Do abdominal breathing to get rid of side cramps or “stitches.”

¨ If you can’t find the time to run, take your running gear to work.

¨ Run on trails if at all possible. It will be easier on your body and you’ll love it.

¨ Make sure you rest on your off days. Rest is just as important of an element as exercise in your fitness plan.

¨ Forgive yourself. Over-ambitious goals usually lead to frustration and giving up on your fitness plan. If you miss a goal or milestone let it go and focus on the next opportunity to get it.

¨ Dress as if it is 10 degrees warmer than the temperature on the thermometer.

¨ Wear sunscreen and a hat when the sun is beating down—even in winter.

¨ Run early in the morning or later in evening to avoid mid-day heat.

¨ To keep cool in hot weather soak a bandana in cold water wring it out a bit and tie it loosely around your neck.

¨ For hot weather fill your water bottle about half way lay it at an angle in the freezer and just before you head out for your run top it off with more water.

With that said we look forward to helping you not only set but attain your goal of completing a 5K. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem, someone else is probably thinking of the same thing.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I found a similar website (actually I have the book) called Slow, Fat Triathlete:

http://www.slowfattriathlete.com

The author, Jane, cracks me up!
  • gnu1971
    gnu1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bumping.

Going on my first "run" with my Sister (NoPoGal) tomorrow morning - it's our "Turkey Trot"!

I just realized my profile pic is from last Turkey Day. Will hopefully get a good updated pic tomorrow.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Bumping.

Going on my first "run" with my Sister (NoPoGal) tomorrow morning - it's our "Turkey Trot"!

I just realized my profile pic is from last Turkey Day. Will hopefully get a good updated pic tomorrow.

:laugh: I think I'm going to do my own "Turkey Trot" in the gym this afternoon, LOL

Good luck with yours!!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    We actually had an acitivity called the Turkey Trot when I was in elementary school. The teachers would make a day of it & we'd do Thanksgiving activities in the morning, then the high school marching band would play through the halls & we'd follow them, have a little pep rally for us & then we'd run a course all over the school grounds. Of course there were donuts & cider at the finish line, though. And tissues. Lots of tissues. Elementary kids running around NW Ohio in November equals a LOT of tissues. LOL It was always so much fun, though!

That's really good advice, Lauryn. I'm trying to talk myself into liking running. We'll see. Considering the weather, I picked a bad time to try a new outside hobby.
  • bigj06
    bigj06 Posts: 12
    Options
    Nice Site