Another vegi discovered! Recipes sought!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Today, I tried bell peppers--and, guess what? I LOVED THEM! Why haven't you guys told me before now about all this great stuff I've just discovered since being on MFP--like squash, yogurt, and now bell peppers.

Anyway, so we bought some and are making bell peppers to go with the old turkey tomorrow--what's a really good recipe???

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    Today, I tried bell peppers--and, guess what? I LOVED THEM! Why haven't you guys told me before now about all this great stuff I've just discovered since being on MFP--like squash, yogurt, and now bell peppers.

Anyway, so we bought some and are making bell peppers to go with the old turkey tomorrow--what's a really good recipe???
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, Shore. I usually chop them up & put them in things. I haven't ever made a side dish out of them except for a relish tray. I'm interested to see, too!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Today, I tossed them with summer squash and some olive oil and baked them--they were good but I'm hoping for something "different" tomorrow.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed when I see people trying foods for the first time that I have been eating my whole life! I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just I guess I take it for granted that my parents fed me a wide variety of foods at an early age....anyway......

Yea for you for trying new food!! I love love love bell peppers! A simple but yummy way to cook peppers, and other vegetables, is to roast them. Seed the pepper and cut into large chucks. You can roast them alone, or add other veggies such as carrots, onion, squash, and zucchini. Make sure the pieces are all pretty much cut around the same size or they won't roast evenly. Toss veggies in a large bowl with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to coat and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and some rosemary if desired. Lay on a baking dish in a single layer and cook in a preheated for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Stir the veggies and reduce heat to 200 degrees, cooking the veggies until tender, tossing every 20 minutes. Depending on the vegetable, and how roasted you want them, that's up to you. Season with more salt and pepper and maybe another tiny drizzle of olive oil and there you go!!

Hope this helps and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Aren't bell peppers the best?! You could saute (sp?) them in a pan with some onions and red peppers. Add a dash of olive oil so they don't stick to the pan, and voila!

**I also have a really great dip recipe that is super easy if you want to eat the peppers raw, kinda like carrots, or celery. I usually pack this as part of my lunch every day... You don't need a lot of it, and it's really, really good! :bigsmile:

Low-Fat Ranch Dip

1/2 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1/2 Hidden Valley ranch seasoning packet

Mix the 3 ingredients together and chill. Dip stays good in your fridge up to 2 weeks (but mine never lasts that long! :laugh: )
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    How about stuffed peppers? I usually toss cooked rice with onions and mushrooms and tomatoes with italian spices...top the peppers off with parmesan then bake them in the oven in a pan with a bit of water in the bottom...delish. I'm sure you can find specific recipes for stuffed peppers at foodtv.ca or recipezaar.com..
    Cheers,
    A.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    How about stuffed peppers? I usually toss cooked rice with onions and mushrooms and tomatoes with italian spices...top the peppers off with parmesan then bake them in the oven in a pan with a bit of water in the bottom...delish. I'm sure you can find specific recipes for stuffed peppers at foodtv.ca or recipezaar.com..
    Cheers,
    A.

Oh yeah, definitely one my my faves! :bigsmile: Shore, you've gotta try this one! I have a really good recipe that I like if you want it...!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Cheers,
    A.

Oh, the fried one sounds good! But I don't like mushrooms and tomatoes--and yeah, I've tried those :sick:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also do stuffed peppers, i used the canned chicken in water (2-4oz) I add a little taco seasoning powder, mix that up with some onions, mexi-cheese, and (i use tomatos), and then i bake them at 425 until they look nice and bubbly...

they are yummy!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You can stuff peppers with rice dressing and bake, the peppers give the dressing an awesome flavor! :tongue:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We always stuffed our peppers with ground round and rice. Onions and stuff for seasonings. Drizzled tomato sauce over the top and baked them that way.
  • bigj06
    bigj06 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have to try that!!!!!!