I'm feeling nauseous and I don't know why.....

Options
For the past two months I have felt sick to my stomach on and off. Sometimes it comes and passes and other times I feel sick all day; morning, noon and night. The first couple of days I thought that I must be pregnant because I have only felt this way once before and that was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I have been losing since February and I am now 20 lbs down and only 9-10 lbs from my goal. Feeling sick all of the time makes me feel discouraged. I have been maintaining for a couple of weeks and I have been trying to focus on what it is that makes me feel sick. I can't seem to pin it down, so it may be something I eat everyday or an ingredient that is in a lot of foods. Unfortunately my food diary isn't much help because I've been too busy with other things to log. But I have noticed that the harder I exercise the sicker I feel. Any advise is welcome. thank you!

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If you're exercising hard and not drinking enough water, your nausea may be from dehydration. Try to log your foods as much as possible to try and pin it down. I would suggest seeing a doctor to try an allergy test.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue and I went to my doctor (because I also thought I was pregnant) and it turned out I was not getting enough calories. That is why when I worked out I felt even worse. I was eating much too little. I upped my calories a bit and I felt much better and the weight started to come off too. Give it a try for a week, cant hurt. I also ate more frequently.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hadn't considered that. I do really well with water some days, but usually when I'm feeling bad it is hard to drink anything. I will try water today and see how that goes. Thanks
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Don't assume it's because of your weight loss efforts.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue and I went to my doctor (because I also thought I was pregnant) and it turned out I was not getting enough calories. That is why when I worked out I felt even worse. I was eating much too little. I upped my calories a bit and I felt much better and the weight started to come off too. Give it a try for a week, cant hurt. I also ate more frequently.

if your not eatting your exercise calories back you could well be under eatting! Also looked at your diary not seeing much fruit and veg!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

The above link may help, hope you feel better soon :smile:
  • FavAuntCarol
    Options
    Have you tried eating 4 smaller meals a day, vs. 3? Also, be sure to have a small snack between meals . . . so, you'll end up eating about ever 2 hours, but in smaller quantities. This will help keep you from getting too hungry and also keep your metabolism up. And, like others have said, if you are eating too FEW calories, not only will you feel nausea, but you'll be slowing/reversing your weight loss. Your body thinks it's going into starvation mode if you don't eat enough and so it will hold on, not let go, of weight if you eat too little. An extreme case: think of all the starving kids in Ethopia (or which ever commercial you see) . . .they always show pictures of little kids with huge bellies that are starving.... that's the body's response to starvation. Now, your body is doing the same thing to you (on a much smaller scale) if you are not getting enough calories per day.

Best of luck!
    Carol
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I friend of mine recently lost about 30 lbs, and then started feeling sick/nauseous everyday. Turned out, it was gallstones, and her doctor said that it sometimes happens after weight loss. For her, it went past just being nauseous all the time, to pain and vomiting, so she had her gall bladder removed. But if upping your calories doesn't help, it might be a good idea to see a doctor. It could be something simple, or it could be something serious. Best of luck!
  • momma_roo
    Options
    I did up my calorie intake when I reached a healthy BMI I set my weight loss goal to .5lb a week and upped my calories to 1500. When that week was over I had gained back one lb which put my weight back to an overweight BMI. So I know have my calories set in between my original 1290 and 1500 at 1390. I do eat back my exercise calories unless it is a huge difference between what the machine at the gym says and MFP, then I eat back somewhere in between. I even go over my calories, a little, everyday because that is how I lost in the first place. If I can't figure it out by next week, by logging all of my food, I will probably go see a doctor. I felt nauseous while typing this, this morning and I hadn't eaten yet. Since then I have eaten and drank two glasses of water and I feel a little worse :(
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    It sounds to me like a trip to the doc might be in order - you've tried to pinpoint the obvious stuff without much success. There's no harm in making an appt just in case.
  • momma_roo
    Options
    I actually have a fear of doctors because last time I went they wrongly diagnosed me with being bipolar and I ended up in the ER from the wrongly prescribed medicine. But I am planning on going soon if I don't feel better
  • momma_roo
    Options
    Lactose intolerance.... boo.... I'm working it out!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I friend of mine recently lost about 30 lbs, and then started feeling sick/nauseous everyday. Turned out, it was gallstones, and her doctor said that it sometimes happens after weight loss. For her, it went past just being nauseous all the time, to pain and vomiting, so she had her gall bladder removed. But if upping your calories doesn't help, it might be a good idea to see a doctor. It could be something simple, or it could be something serious. Best of luck!
    I've lost 3 stone over the last year, and felt constantly sick after loosing the first stone or so. Gall stones. You can have them and have no problems, but then if you loose weight too quickly or don't eat enough fat or too much fat it plays up. Been in hospital with it twice in the last year with it, waiting for it taken out. All I can say is when I eat enough and not to high fat I'm fine, so both are important. A quick scan can rule out or confirm it. Go to your doctor if eating more and drinking water doesn't work. Zara