Tattoo Day Spin off - meaning of tattoo

Options
sassylilmama
sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
Everyone is showing off their tattoos but no one is saying what they stand for, if its just something they like or what so do tell!

Mine has my kids names in stars as they are the stars of my life and the bubbles are my personality. The butterfly is for the baby we lost, it was a way to help me get over the loss and always have a concrete way to have him/her with me.

Replies

• Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have 3 sets of footprints on my feet.

I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and placed him for adoption. I love him to death and see him semi-regularly (have moved away since so it's hard to maintain visits) It was a harder then normal process because of my ex, the sperm donor, and the foot prints represent my two sisters and my birthson and how they will always be by my side walking through all the hardships I may face...will be adding a set of combat boot prints for my husband shortly.
  • beckyl325
    Options
    I have several tattoos...

two of them really have no significance. I was just 18 and wanted to rebel lol :tongue:

I do however have two that mean a great deal to me. This first is an eagle I have on my right arm. My father loved the eagle. He decorated the whole house with eagles. so when he passed away from illness, I got that to symbolize him.

I also have a purple cancer ribbon on my left wrist. I got that after my grandfather lost his battle to pancreatic cancer a few years ago.

Great thread PS! I'm interested to read what others say!
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have three tattoos (no pictures posted on here):

The first one is an open heart with a yin/yang sign in the middle. I actually drew it and had it tattooed on me when I was 20. It symbolizes balance and love.

My second one is on my left forearm. It's a scroll work designs with flowers and inside the scroll work it says "inspire". I want to live my life to inspire others to go further and do better. Not just health-wise, but spiritually and in their actions as well. My tattoo artist in California (a long time friend) and I put it together.

My third one (not the last one I will get) are stars starting at about the third rib on my left side and going down to my hip bone. There are a total of 7 stars, one for every 2 years I have known my best friend. We have known each other for longer now, but she is the sister God never gave me. We have seen a lot in each other's lives, hit a rough patch or two, and I know she will be in my life until the day I die.

I'm planning another one - my son's footprints, but I don't know where those are going to go yet. I also want a cross somewhere, but I haven't solidified a design or placement. I will also add to the stars. :)
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have the Eye of Ra (Egyptian Sun God) on my left shoulder. I am in the process of having my next tattoo designed. Not sure when I will be getting that one...but hopefully soon :)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have wings on my back....well, since I am a Faerie and all...

Have two nautical stars on each collarbone, these stars originally were meant for sailors to find their way back home from sea, so I have them to guide me if you will....

Have scrollwork on the inside of my right wrist, to cover scars there that were from a bad time in my life, (I am left handed)

Have a sparrow with a crown, a vintage print, and a yellow vintage rose on my left arm going up over my shoulder, representing my Grams, who was my all.....

In between the sparrow and rose I have the last line of Anne Sexton's suicide note..."At Night the Bats Will Beat on the Trees, Knowing it All, Seeing What They Sensed All Day".....She is one of my favorite poets, and her writings got me through a lot of hard times....

I have another vintage print of dogwood flowers on the inside of my right arm, again for my Grams, she always loved the dogwoods, but I had them colored in turquoise, one of my fave colors, along with a single Honeybee, (I am a beekeeper)

And lastly, I have the outlines done of my newest tat, a vintage Latin illustration of the Honeybee on my right shoulder/arm....this print was done in 1867......and its to represent my Honeybee Hive...
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have a superman tat with flames on my left shoulder.

People think it's because I think I am superman... but its actually because I am a closet nerd.
  • sweetjanet2k
    sweetjanet2k Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have four tattoo, but the one with the most significant meaning is the one shown as my profile picture. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer on 8/28/10 and the tattoo is a fleur de lis made of purple ribbons. Purple is the color for pancreatic cancer and we both shared a love for the New Orleans Saints.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have a nautical star on each shoulder.....each one of my cousins also does to symbolize our grandfather......stars on the bottom of my back means crap I was drunk and under the influnce of substances so im lucky thats all i go.....my butterfly on my shoulder I got when I was 16 and i just liked butterflies....sorry there is no deeper meaning to that one
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in what others will write too... I love tattoos and I have three butterflies on my ankle that only signify that I like butterflies, lol (but I could say they signify my three children :)) but I plan to have two more soon, one will be a broken heart with the saying "tears fall forever inside a broken heart", which will be in honor of those in my family I have lost which is both my parents, my brother and my sister. My brother was killed when he was 27 (he had a one month old son at the time) my sister just passed from cancer, my parents from health problems as they got older... as of now I have one sister, so it's just her and I left in our immediate family. Since my name is Holly I plan to have a holly leaf also but not sure where.
    Has anyone been confronted by others who find any tattoo offensive? I'm surprised at the people who are bold enough to tell me that I am desecrating my body... I don't pass judgement on others and it surprises me how people can be so bold and rude. I find tattoos beautiful and meaningfull, if that makes me a bad person then I'm a bad person.... :flowerforyou:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have one of a crow on my shoulder, you can see part of it in one my pics on my profile.

It's meaning is that's my last name and our family Crest. Yes, I'm Irish.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Mine is my zodiac in the pic.

I do want to get a ladybug shortly (for sentimental reasons), just not 100% sure where I want to put it yet.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo!

When I was 18 I rebelled (and sorely paid for that rebellion), but I got a Chi Rho tattoo on my hip.

The Pagan Meaning/Use: Used to mark especially important passages (The Chi-Rho symbol was also used by pagan Greek scribes to mark, in the margin, a particularly valuable or relevant passage; the combined letters Chi and Rho standing for chrēston, meaning "good." - from wiki)
    The Christian meaning is: (also from wiki)
    1. Chi-Rho symbol was used as military symbol under Roman emperor Constantine.
    2. It is formed by superimposing the first two letters in the Greek spelling of the word Christ ( Greek : "Χριστός" ), chi = ch and rho = r, in such a way to produce the monogram ☧. Although not technically a cross, the Chi Rho invokes the crucifixion of Jesus as well as symbolizing his status as the Christ.

BUT I got it mostly because a band I love (The Psalters) used it as their symbol and their philosophy was: We are Americans, we might not always like what our government does/says but we are Americans, this means we have hosts of opportunties and rights other people don't have. We should stand firm in our belief, tell the gov't what we believe, but never take our status for granted, to use our American citizenship to help the world.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have 2 so far.

The first one is my profile pic and is just something I liked.. At the tattoo place, the design they had, had creepy faces so I just had it done without them lol. This one is on my upper back right side.

The second I have is a heart on my right ankle colored red and has ALEX in it. Alex is my 6 year olds name and red is his favorite color.

I have several more ideas: I want something with my daughters name, puzzle pieces symbolizing autism awareness, nautical stars, a memorial for my dad, another sun with a rainbow, the boston red sox symbol (Im a 4th generation (on both sides) die hard sox fan)
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    <-- Phoenix on my shoulder covers up a tattoo I got with my ex husband. I took a lot of time designing it and it is so very fitting, rising from the flames and such. Have the sign of leo that I designed on my neck and back as well.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have 6 tattoo's - One is something my son made for me. It is his initials with fire behind it - I also have EEyore on my ankle holding a big heart that says Bubba - that is my other son's nickname and he is totally like EEyore... I have a tattoo of my puppy who got me through all the hard times when I was living 7 years of hell. A butterfly on my foot....was just because, an american flag just below my neck - got that a month after 9-11 and a devil girl on my shoulder which is probably my favorite and really has no meaning -- it was just really really cute. Here are a couple of them

24756_390700472176_627477176_5441424_3792141_n.jpg
    6380_158533217176_627477176_3885877_1416588_n.jpg
  • beckyl325
    Options

People think it's because I think I am superman... but its actually because I am a closet nerd.

I love this :)
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I have a cross on my forearm, it says 'L.T.J.J' across, and 8-12-02 going down. It is for the 4 classmates of mine that lost their life in a car accident.
    On my back between my shoulder blades I have two hearts over lapping made out of forget me not flowers. In one flower I have my sons first and middle name, in the other I have my daughters first and middle name. I placed my daughter for adoption, and she is in a different state, so this is my way of keeping my kids together.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a frog hanging onto a piece of grass on my right ankle....to me this symbolizes "the kids keep me hopping and someday I'm gonna croak" :laugh: , really I just like frogs
  • b00b0084
    Options

That is the same reason I want a marvin the martian tattoo!
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I have a frog hanging onto a piece of grass on my right ankle....to me this symbolizes "the kids keep me hopping and someday I'm gonna croak" :laugh: , really I just like frogs
    That is awesome! My kid will make me croak someday too! lol